Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon Week 3 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    The 59-3 loss was against a Tennessee team that started playing with a chip on their shoulder. I fully expect Tennessee to be significantly improved over last season.
    So 2 wins over P5 oponents?
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

When it comes to the epistemic breakdown of the socon, this is what I think:

What little we know is positive, at least relative to last season:
    Wofford, Samford, Chattanooga

We don't know enough either way
    Mercer, ETSU, Citadel, Western

What we know is negative
    VMI, Furman,

AGS FCS Champion

Power rankings:
    1. Samford – Really good effort against FSU, they are for real (a 10 point loss..should have been 3 point loss, to FSU is a bit better than a 45 point win over VMI)
    2. Wofford – looked really good
    3. Chattanooga – A good team who may be winning again
    4. Mercer – I can’t believe they only scored 45 points…couldn’t resist for FuBear’s sake; seriously, they took care of business like they should have
    5. The Citadel – they almost looked like themselves again; still some issues, but nice improvement over last week and that’s the correct direction
    6. WCU – Bye scored too many points against the Cats D
    7. Furman – Ummmm, ok
    8. ETSU – saw a bit of this game, way over matched
    9. VMI – ouch

Predictions:
    Colgate @ Furman - Furman gets back on track at home - 28-17
    ETSU @ VMI - VMI fights hard at home, but still trying to right the ship - 37-17
    Mercer @ Samford - Will hinge on Samford's mental state after the heart breaker - 38-20
    Wofford @ Wyoming - Wofford will give them fits; would be nice scalp, but ankle biters come up short - 31-20
    CSU @ The Citadel - Dogs were much better on O this past week, with a few more things to clean up; D should be able to handle Bucs - 34-20.
    Chattanooga @ UT-Martin - Chatty lost last year, not this time - 27-20
    WCU @ GWU - This one might be closer than many think, but Cats pull it out - 35-24
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

I'm not super concerned at this point with Furman. From what I am watching, we have two athletically talented QBs that are have been thrown up against two really good teams.

I am not sure how you explain what happened yesterday other than we stunk and got our butts beat. Hopefully, that's a wakeup call. If we lose to Colgate, I'll start to get worried.

I'd love to see Harris Roberts get the go ahead to play.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Advocate sudog03's Avatar

From what I watched, I''d be really concerned if I was a Furman fan. For one, that kind of loss is one that can take you off the bubble from playoff consideration. Two, on 65 offensive plays, Furman had 3 fumbles (2 lost), an INT, and 3 sacks allowed. The loss of Blazejowski and the OC look to be very significant at this point.

I agree - of course I worry/am concerned about Western pretty much every game. I know the Paladins have faced 2 very good teams to start, but the only 2 scores have come in mop-up time against the other team's bench. Clemson was not a surprise, but losing this way to a team they beat in the playoffs a year ago would have me at least a little concerned. I am still picking them to win at home this week - is Harris Roberts supposed to be back healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by sudog03 View Post
    From what I watched, I''d be really concerned if I was a Furman fan. For one, that kind of loss is one that can take you off the bubble from playoff consideration. Two, on 65 offensive plays, Furman had 3 fumbles (2 lost), an INT, and 3 sacks allowed. The loss of Blazejowski and the OC look to be very significant at this point.
    I look at it this way.

Furman has played the toughest schedule of any SoCon team, and it isn't even close (in my opinion). So, while the team has not looked good (no debate there), I am not going to be an alarmist about it. At this point, everything is relative. If Furman had played two weak teams to start the season, we'd be 2-0 and no one would be batting an eye.

Now, that said, it has not looked pretty. Our two young QBs have been behind the game and struggled to make adjustments. They look nervous and are missing open receivers. That will not always be the case, I think. Unfortunately, we are watching the learning curve in real time.

Furman has very few upperclassmen on offense (Dirks and Gibson are it, I think), and Hendrix has expressed concern over the lack of veterans on that side of the ball.

I'm less concerned with the loss of Drew Cronic at OC. Cronic is a good coach, no question, but it wasn't his offensive system Furman ran last season. Furman's offense was starkly different than what Cronic ran at Reinhardt the year before, and incorporated elements of a bunch of different offensive looks. With the rest of the offensive staff returning, there shouldn't be a big gap there.

At bottom, we got out played and are having two QBs try to cut their teeth against good defense. Furman should be able to out-athlete Colgate this weekend, which will give us a win over a borderline top 25 team. Right the ship there, and the Elon contest will be a distant memory.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by wcugrad95 View Post
    I agree - of course I worry/am concerned about Western pretty much every game. I know the Paladins have faced 2 very good teams to start, but the only 2 scores have come in mop-up time against the other team's bench. Clemson was not a surprise, but losing this way to a team they beat in the playoffs a year ago would have me at least a little concerned. I am still picking them to win at home this week - is Harris Roberts supposed to be back healthy?
    The Elon game is difficult to explain. We played them to a virtual draw last season twice. We beat them on the road in the playoffs. Both teams roughly had the same roster on Saturday that they did last year.

We got out played. It happens.
    FU all the time.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

We got out played. It happens.
    Gee, that sounds familiar. I wonder if that happen to my Dogs last year? Hmm. I think it did...... Like I said many times, it happens, especially after you realize your season is over. Not that yours is.....
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Gee, that sounds familiar. I wonder if that happen to my Dogs last year? Hmm. I think it did...... Like I said many times, it happens, especially after you realize your season is over. Not that yours is.....
    Season's not over. Furman still has all of their goals in front of them.

Again, Furman was 0-3 last season (although, they looked better), hit the Colgate game and put on the burners.
    FU all the time.