Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Texas is the antithesis of California when it comes to college football.
    Nah, Texas is the antithesis of Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    And selecting College Sports Solutions (the former Carr Sports Solutions) to do one of these studies is like hiring a venture capital firm to evaluate a future stock offering - they'll tell you to go big every time even when you shouldn't.
    Isn't it the purpose of these studies to confirm what management wants to hear?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post

I so badly want to comment on this to have AltTru and LFN lose their ****, but this is not the board for it.

If they go FBS, they will fail and fail bigly. That said, if the Southland were to add them, going to 14 members and split into 2 divisions would be fine, but I get this feeling that by the time RGV gets football to where they believe they should be, the next split will occur and I could see them going into the 1AA route in a 3 tier system with the likes of powerhouse teams in the FCS and the poser G5 schools trying to play P5 football while losing money.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"I think you might have missed my comments. Princeton's QB John Lovett is the best player in the FCS" - World

Just another program who thinks being a 7-5 at best is better than FCS. They’ll fail like UTSA, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Texas State, Coastal Carolina possibly, Georgia State etc.

Unless they end up like App State and become the goldfish in a pond of minnows that is the Sun Belt, and have solid success with regular bowl trips.

But they probably won’t establish much for a program anyways like UTSA. Texas has enough college teams as it is. They’ll be less cared about then the local high schools.

First Class FCS Advocate NoVABison's Avatar

I could care less about these schools that are going to make a 3 year stop in the FCS on their way to "big time" football... no history, no culture of winning -- and they are heading to some crappy G5 conference to become the doormat, a team that is a freaking embarrassment... but fans and alums of the school comfort themselves in knowing they are being destroyed at the "highest level," in stadiums at 10% capacity on a Wednesday night -- but it is on ESPNU

LEARN HOW TO WIN... then consider a move up!

Quote Originally Posted by NoVABison View Post
    I could care less about these schools that are going to make a 3 year stop in the FCS on their way to "big time" football... no history, no culture of winning -- and they are heading to some crappy G5 conference to become the doormat, a team that is a freaking embarrassment... but fans and alums of the school comfort themselves in knowing they are being destroyed at the "highest level," in stadiums at 10% capacity on a Wednesday night -- but it is on ESPNU

LEARN HOW TO WIN... then consider a move up!
    What fans and alums? After 3 years they won’t have anything for football alumni, and if Georgia State filling 5% of the Georgia Dome is any indication, fans don’t like watching 2 win Sun Belt Teams.

Master FCS Advocate grayghost06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post

So true. Not worth the paper they are printed on.

Master FCS Advocate grayghost06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    VMI has a healthy football budget for a state school: $3.4 million. It's not easy to recruit to a military school and they know that's their mission.

Georgetown isn't recruiting in VMI's circles but its problems are two: money and admissions.

Nearly 40 percent of Georgetown's athletic budget goes to one sport that has underperformed the last three seasons. That leaves 28 sports fighting for a $28 million budget. Give Georgetown $4 or $5 million in football and it would be a formidable program. But it isn't getting that.

The larger issue is admissions. As I've noted in assorted PL threads, a 14% admit rate, a 95% class rank and an average 1465 SAT make it very difficult to get kids admitted and those handful of kids with these numbers that actually play football are getting a full ride elsewhere. Football is the only sport at Georgetown which is governed by SAT ranges like this because they are in the Patriot League. If Georgetown could ever admit the same type of students as Duke, W&M, or the academies, watch out. But it isn't getting that.

Finally, George Mason would make a great CAA football school--lots of recruits, the popularity of football in Northern Virginia, and a booming enrollment would make a GMU a power sooner than later. But it isn't getting that, either.
    Oh what once was. My Dad graduated from Georgetown in the late 40s.

Schedule[edit]

Date Opponent# Rank# Site Result
    September 28 Roanoke Griffith StadiumWashington, DC W 66–0
    October 4 at Temple Temple StadiumPhiladelphia, PA W 14–0
    October 12 Waynesburg Griffith Stadium[3] • Washington, DC W 26–12
    October 19 VPI Griffith Stadium • Washington, DC W 46–4
    October 26 at NYU No. 15 Yankee StadiumNew York City, NY W 26–0
    November 2 at Syracuse No. 10 Archbold StadiumSyracuse, NY W 28–6
    November 9 at Maryland No. 9 Old Byrd StadiumCollege Park, MD W 41–0
    November 16 at No. 8 Boston College No. 9 Fenway ParkBoston, MA L 18–19
    November 23 vs. George Washington No. 9 Griffith Stadium • Washington, DC W 8–0
    January 1 vs. No. 11 Mississippi State No. 13 Burdine StadiumMiami, FL (Orange Bowl) L 7–14

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar

They've been trying to do this for years.....I think Pan American had a football team decades ago, but ended up dropping it.

If they do this, they're just gonna further dilute the talent pool.

TAMU-Kingsville, the former Texas A&I has traditionally served that area well. If TAMU-Kingsville merges with TAMU-CC, things might get interesting in the SLC. That team could be a powerhouse...The TAMU-CC campus is kinda cool, being on an island and all....
    - Former Poke Center

Proud Participant in The 24 Hours of Booty bicycle ride to raise money for the war on cancer, July 24-25, 7 pm to 7 pm, at Queens University and Myers Park Traditional School, Charlotte, NC. All monies raised go to toward LiveSTRONG and a variety of cancer fighting initiatives devoted to early detection, survivorship and research. All donations are tax deductible.

To contribute, go to:

https://events.24foundation.org/fundraise?fcid=889656

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FormerPokeCenter View Post
    TAMU-Kingsville, the former Texas A&I has traditionally served that area well. If TAMU-Kingsville merges with TAMU-CC, things might get interesting in the SLC. That team could be a powerhouse...The TAMU-CC campus is kinda cool, being on an island and all....
    Doesn't look like they have a lot of room for an on-campus stadium though...unless it floats.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar

They could build on in the adjacent neighborhood, where their track and tennis courts are...or they could build one at Cabaniss Field, where their sports teams used to play....or...they could use Buccaneer Stadium, which has been in existence since the 30's. It would be a midrange FCS stadium....it's across town, but I don't think anybody would care..

Or, hell...they could even use Javelina Stadium in Kingsville since there's talk of a combined school...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buccaneer Stadium.jpg   Javelina Stadium.jpg  
    - Former Poke Center

Proud Participant in The 24 Hours of Booty bicycle ride to raise money for the war on cancer, July 24-25, 7 pm to 7 pm, at Queens University and Myers Park Traditional School, Charlotte, NC. All monies raised go to toward LiveSTRONG and a variety of cancer fighting initiatives devoted to early detection, survivorship and research. All donations are tax deductible.

To contribute, go to:

https://events.24foundation.org/fundraise?fcid=889656