Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    They ain't making Micks like Revvy Lava anymore
    TheRevSFA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Galveston Island, Near Texas
    Posts
    12,731

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    UTRGV only has to compete with A&I.

    I think people forget just how far SOUTH that is. They would be a big fish in south texas recruiting pond.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevSFA View Post
    you are the Nickelback of AGS
    Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Ok, you are in deep freaking trouble, that is the worst personal insult hurled my way since I got on this board.

  2. #22
    Top FCS Ruler
    KPSUL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
    Nah, Texas is the antithesis of Vermont
    UNH's David Ball, FCS career record-holder for TD receptions until Kupp broke it in 2016, is from Vermont
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

  3. #23
    FCS Master Catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    People think of Texas as a hotbed of talent and it is, but FBS level athletes are not evenly spread around the state. Dave Campell’s Texas football broke down FBS signees last year by region. Of the 360 recruits last year:

    134 came from the Metroplex
    119 from Houston
    27 from San Antonio
    18 from Austin.
    14 each from Central Texas and East Texas

    the rest were we’re scattered around the state. The Rio Grande Valley where UT RGV is located produced 1 signee. Neighboring Laredo had none and the coastal bend area 3.

  4. #24
    AGS FCS Champion
    McNeese75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    8,710

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    The RGV is NOT known as a hot bed of Football Talent. The state HS championships from the Valley are few and far between.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

    George Bernard Shaw

  5. #25
    FCS Master Catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Which was my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeese75 View Post
    The RGV is NOT known as a hot bed of Football Talent. The state HS championships from the Valley are few and far between.

  6. #26
    AGS FCS Champion DFW HOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Quote Originally Posted by Catatonic View Post
    People think of Texas as a hotbed of talent and it is, but FBS level athletes are not evenly spread around the state. Dave Campell’s Texas football broke down FBS signees last year by region. Of the 360 recruits last year:

    134 came from the Metroplex
    119 from Houston
    27 from San Antonio
    18 from Austin.
    14 each from Central Texas and East Texas

    the rest were we’re scattered around the state. The Rio Grande Valley where UT RGV is located produced 1 signee. Neighboring Laredo had none and the coastal bend area 3.
    If you're good, it doesn't matter if you're in Dumas or Dime Box, the schools will find you. But less than half the major college recruits are ever going to play in-state, and a lot of out of town recruiters focus on Dallas and Houston because they can fly in, build relationships with a lot of schools, and get good talent. It's a stretch for an eastern school to fly down to Harlingen and work the US. 83 corridor for that diamond in the rough.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

  7. #27
    FCS Master Catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    If you're good, it doesn't matter if you're in Dumas or Dime Box, the schools will find you. But less than half the major college recruits are ever going to play in-state, and a lot of out of town recruiters focus on Dallas and Houston because they can fly in, build relationships with a lot of schools, and get good talent. It's a stretch for an eastern school to fly down to Harlingen and work the US. 83 corridor for that diamond in the rough.
    Year in, year out disproportionate numbers of those really good blue chip athletes are from 6 and 5 A schools along the I 35 corridor. The rest are scattered around the state, with the Rio Grande Valley at the bottom of the list.

  8. #28
    FCS Expert AmsterBison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Now in multiple locations to serve you better
    Posts
    2,906

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    That UTRGV acronym is an abomination - maybe their genius marketing plan should start with that.
    "An out-of-context quote to support my world view." - Some Dead Guy

  9. #29
    I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK dbackjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Snaugageville
    Posts
    16,918

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterBison View Post
    That UTRGV acronym is an abomination - maybe their genius marketing plan should start with that.

    What is wrong with it?

  10. #30
    FCS Expert RootinFerDukes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,501

    Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

    Quote Originally Posted by NoVABison View Post
    I could care less about these schools that are going to make a 3 year stop in the FCS on their way to "big time" football... no history, no culture of winning -- and they are heading to some crappy G5 conference to become the doormat, a team that is a freaking embarrassment... but fans and alums of the school comfort themselves in knowing they are being destroyed at the "highest level," in stadiums at 10% capacity on a Wednesday night -- but it is on ESPNU

    LEARN HOW TO WIN... then consider a move up!
    This made me literally LOL. Comfort themselves knowing they’re getting destroyed at the highest level.

Similar Threads

  1. Liberty FBS Feasibility Study
    By TexasTerror in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: December 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
  2. ASU to Continue Athletics Feasibility Study
    By Accelerati Incredibilus in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: May 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
  3. ASU to Conduct Football Feasibility Study
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 30th, 2010, 08:00 PM
  4. GSU Announces Plans for FBS Feasibility Study
    By EagleCreekH20 in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 511
    Last Post: February 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
  5. Georgia State I-AA/FCS Feasibility Study
    By rokamortis in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: December 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •