Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

UTRGV FB feasibility study

College football and Texas- sounds good to me.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/pr...2add3ab8c.html
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

AGS FCS Champion

Re: UTRGV FB feasibility study

Another startup for the Southland or Sun Belt Conference!
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; August 8th, 2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Oops! Article said they think they're going straight to the FBS
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

They’ll be like UTSA and move up after 3 years.

AGS FCS Champion

Texas is the antithesis of California when it comes to college football.
    Reason number one why I am a bandwagon fan: the Ivy League football teams are not playing at their best nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Another startup for the Southland or Sun Belt Conference!
    Let the Sun Belt have them.

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Texas is the antithesis of California when it comes to college football.
    Texas is the antithesis of California, period.

And selecting College Sports Solutions (the former Carr Sports Solutions) to do one of these studies is like hiring a venture capital firm to evaluate a future stock offering - they'll tell you to go big every time even when you shouldn't.

Carr Sports did the study at George Mason in 1999. Instead of methodically building up a I-AA program, they told Mason officials to go big. The plan failed by one vote in that school's BOT, and Mason hasn't come close to football again.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post

And selecting College Sports Solutions (the former Carr Sports Solutions) to do one of these studies is like hiring a venture capital firm to evaluate a future stock offering - they'll tell you to go big every time even when you shouldn't.

Carr Sports did the study at George Mason in 1999. Instead of methodically building up a I-AA program, they told Mason officials to go big. The plan failed by one vote in that school's BOT, and Mason hasn't come close to football again.
    Without getting into a poli thread, you clearly have never been to Austin, San Antonio, or The Valley...
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

First Class FCS Advocate GreenGlasses's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post

George Mason, just like Georgetown shouldn't have football. And if you consider what you put on the field football then I feel sorry for you. Georgetown is a pretty wealthy school yet you probably put less money into football than VMI does and it shows on the field.

Schools that don't fully fund all athletic programs should probably drop those they don't fund. Truth is that would get a lot of deadweight out of every NCAA tier then.
    I like good football anywhere....Except I don't watch any Power 5 games at all.

Master FCS Advocate andthehomeofthe-BIZON-'s Avatar

I'm such an NDSU fan that I got excited thinking this was a study about the FullBack position group.... because who the hell knew what that cluster **** of letters meant? Instant disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGlasses View Post
    George Mason, just like Georgetown shouldn't have football. And if you consider what you put on the field football then I feel sorry for you. Georgetown is a pretty wealthy school yet you probably put less money into football than VMI does and it shows on the field.
    VMI has a healthy football budget for a state school: $3.4 million. It's not easy to recruit to a military school and they know that's their mission.

Georgetown isn't recruiting in VMI's circles but its problems are two: money and admissions.

Nearly 40 percent of Georgetown's athletic budget goes to one sport that has underperformed the last three seasons. That leaves 28 sports fighting for a $28 million budget. Give Georgetown $4 or $5 million in football and it would be a formidable program. But it isn't getting that.

The larger issue is admissions. As I've noted in assorted PL threads, a 14% admit rate, a 95% class rank and an average 1465 SAT make it very difficult to get kids admitted and those handful of kids with these numbers that actually play football are getting a full ride elsewhere. Football is the only sport at Georgetown which is governed by SAT ranges like this because they are in the Patriot League. If Georgetown could ever admit the same type of students as Duke, W&M, or the academies, watch out. But it isn't getting that.

Finally, George Mason would make a great CAA football school--lots of recruits, the popularity of football in Northern Virginia, and a booming enrollment would make a GMU a power sooner than later. But it isn't getting that, either.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."