Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Advocate sudog03's Avatar

Re: SoCon Pre-Season / "Camp Life" Thread

Furman has a good offense, don't get me wrong, but they really padded their number on some bad defenses and DC's last season. Using conference only numbers, they averaged 48.75 points in the 4 games against the worst 4 scoring defenses in the league (VMI, Citadel, ETSU, UTC). In the 5 games against the other 4 teams, they averaged 21.8, going 2-3 in those games. The 2017 Furman offense was a bit of a flat track bully.

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    7 years? So you left as a sophomore?
    R-FR
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by sudog03 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think Davis Tull would have had more than 36 tackles in 3 seasons at Miami (OH). That's 12 tackles a year average for you JSU fans. Making evaluations off of someone's highlight tape is ill-advised. Production is what matters. If you want to go with the part of your post that says "tull-like moments",OK, but I'd be in a lot less agreement with the part of your same post that makes a direct comparison with him. I mean dude was DPOY in the league for 3 straight seasons and had 18 TFL alone his senior year.
    OK - Please forward the complete game films (wide, tight, and EZ views) (and practice videos, of course) of Miami (OH) 2015-2017 to which you have access, so that my analysis can be as thorough as yours.

Also, here are some 1st 3 seasons career average “Production” / season college QB stats I’d like you to assess...because “Production is what matters”...right?

Passing
    G Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int
    6 72 114 63.1 852 4.7 3.7

Pretty nice completion %, but that’s like, what, 1.5 games of production for Devlin Hodges and the TD/INT ratio is atrocious! Certainly this guy is not worthy of any POY accolades. Don’t need to see any video to know that because “production is what matters” and it’s right there in black & white. Right?

So...What do you think? Decent QB or not so much?

Didn't claim to have practice tapes, nor did I make any evaluation of the kid. Just simply said I wouldn't make a comparison to Tull based off highlight tapes. And if you have found a QB that had limited production for 3 years, with a breakout year his senior season, congrats. But, if you think this kid who had a hard time getting on the field at Miami (OH) is going to be compared to a 3 time DPOY, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. But, like I said originally, if all you are counting on is "davis tull moments" then that is more realistic. Just hard to follow with multiple positions taken in the same post.

Didn't claim to have practice tapes, nor did I make any evaluation of the kid. Just simply said I wouldn't make a comparison to Tull based off highlight tapes. And if you have found a QB that had limited production for 3 years, with a breakout year his senior season, congrats. But, if you think this kid who had a hard time getting on the field at Miami (OH) is going to be compared to a 3 time DPOY, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. But, like I said originally, if all you are counting on is "davis tull moments" then that is more realistic. Just hard to follow with multiple positions taken in the same post.
    So, you haven’t seen any additional video that could make me change my assessment of Mr. Earnest based solely upon his highlight video as I clearly stated. OK, then I’ll stick with my original, SINGULAR assessment.

You said “Production is what matters,” but you seem absolutely reluctant to assess this QB based on his 1st 3 years of college football Production, yet you had no issue with assessing Mr. Earnest (Citing his career & average yearly stats AND comparing him to another Player IS an evaluation) based upon his. That seems a bit disingenuous to me. No? Go ahead, if your production assessing skills are good enough for this Mercer Player, they are surely good enough for this college QB, who, BTW, “had a hard time getting on the field” at his school. Based on his production during the same time frame of which you assessed Mr. Earnest, what do you think based on those numbers. Can he play at a high level or not?

Finally, since we seem to be having some communication and/or comprehension difficulties, let me restate my full and unwavering thoughts on Mr. Earnest...

Based on his Miami highlight video, he reminds me A LOT of Chatt’s great DE, Davis Tull. If Mercer will use him in a similar capacity as Chatt. used Tull, I believe he will be an Impact Player in the SoCon in 2018. If he is an Impact Player, we will, of course, see Tull-like-moments from him this season.

[Note: There is no dichotomy between being an Impact Player & producing Tull-like moments. In fact, they are, essentially, interdependent events.]

And I am not disappointed at all. He already has been compared to Davis Tull. I have compared him based on his video & you have compared him based upon his prior 3 years of “Production.” I am perfectly confident in my comparison as stated, but you seem to be wavering on your (prior 3 years of) “Production is what matters” dictum. If you weren’t, you wouldn’t have any hesitancy to assess that QB on the same criteria.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; August 1st, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Furman has a good offense, don't get me wrong, but they really padded their number on some bad defenses and DC's last season. Using conference only numbers, they averaged 48.75 points in the 4 games against the worst 4 scoring defenses in the league (VMI, Citadel, ETSU, UTC). In the 5 games against the other 4 teams, they averaged 21.8, going 2-3 in those games. The 2017 Furman offense was a bit of a flat track bully.
    So, because Samford bumbled & stumbled their way through a 3 INT’s / 7 Fumbles (4 lost) loss to Chattanooga; had their Starting O completely shut down & shut out by CIT’s D after only 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter; had their Starting O unable to score a TD & only gain 132 yards in the 2nd half vs. VMI; had their Starting O held to 60 yards (-5 in the 3rd Quarter) and 1 TD in the 2nd half vs. ETSU...you want to cast aspersions at Furman’s Offense?

Seems to me you might want to examine that BAD loss & those failures of Samford’s Starting O to consistently produce/finish vs. “bad defenses & DC’s,” as opposed to parsing Furman’s undefeated & consistent performances vs. those teams and stooping to name calling. (BTW - what is a “flat track bully?”)

I think it is intuitive that a team probably performs less well against the better teams on their schedule. Furman was no different than most other teams in that regard. While the Paladin offense was not on par with some of the great offensive units of the last 15 or 20 years, they were (I think) clearly the best group in the league last year. Again, it is worth noting that Furman led the SoCon in offense despite the fact that it was an entirely new offense for everyone, even the coaching staff.

Everything is relative, but if you dig in a bit on the numbers you will find that Furman often quickly throttled down in a lot of games. In many instances, Furman could have put more points, but the coaching staff would scale back the offense and open things up only so much as they needed to secure the win.

I'll be the first to admit (and repeatedly have) that Furman "struggled" (relative to other performances) against teams with stout interior defensive linemen (Namely, NC State, Samford, Wofford). Furman's offense relied heavily on the inside run game to set up the outside run game and play action passing. The only teams that managed to slow Furman down last year are the ones that had the players to limit Furman's inside run game with the fullbacks.

Going into 2018, I think Furman should be in a better position. They have another recruiting class that focused heavily on speed on the offensive side of the ball. They should be able to give Darius Morehead some help at tailback, something they really were not able to do last year. The offensive line will return virtually the entire two deep and have another year under Coach Hendrix. Kealand Dirks, I think, is the best running back in the SoCon and could have a monster season. The Paladin receiving corps, with Thomas Gordon and Cam Burnette, could be the best group Furman has had since the West/Bratton/Reinhart era 15 years ago.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I must have misunderstood your original post where you started off making a direct comparison to Davis Tull. If you want to settle for you meaning something ambiguous as "impact player or davis tull moments", OK.

In terms of Furman's offense. One, I said they had a good offense. Two, I'm not really sure how Samford's offense has anything to do with Furman's. Three, a "flat track bully" is an English sports term for a team or individual who beats up on inferior opponents but struggles against top level competition.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    So, because Samford bumbled & stumbled their way through a 3 INT’s / 7 Fumbles (4 lost) loss to Chattanooga; had their Starting O completely shut down & shut out by CIT’s D after only 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter; had their Starting O unable to score a TD & only gain 132 yards in the 2nd half vs. VMI; had their Starting O held to 60 yards (-5 in the 3rd Quarter) and 1 TD in the 2nd half vs. ETSU...you want to cast aspersions at Furman’s Offense?

Seems to me you might want to examine that BAD loss & those failures of Samford’s Starting O to consistently produce/finish vs. “bad defenses & DC’s,” as opposed to parsing Furman’s undefeated & consistent performances vs. those teams and stooping to name calling. (BTW - what is a “flat track bully?”)
    As I have said a bunch, Furman did not out-talent teams last year. They out-executed them. Furman ran a base set of plays out of dozens of different looks and became masters at finding mismatches in both the run and pass game.

I'm excited to see what Furman can do with the ability to finally redshirt players, develop depth, and establish a system.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

And yes, it is not surprising that Furman performed better against inferior competition. I was just a little surprised by the spread. Take the 2nd highest scoring team for example in WCU. Using conference only games, they averaged 26.25 against the top 4 v. 37.75 against the bottom 4 scoring defenses. As you said, matchups certainly play a factor.