Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon Pre-Season / "Camp Life" Thread

There's a lot wrong with that play defensively. It looks like a 3-4 under with the OLB lined up on the wrong side of the play. Both DEs look head up on the OTs, but then ETSU puts a man on the line opposite the TE.

You would think someone needed to be lined up over the TE to the playside. There are not many DEs (any?) in the SoCon that can fight off that double team.

The OLB to the playside is left out to dry. He may have the QB, but Furman probably goes to the house with either the FB or the pitch. He's got no chance to defend either.

I agree with you, the safety took pretty awful angles. Not that I'd want to get in front of Dirks with a full head of steam either. Seems like the safety should have been the one up on the line across form Luke while the OLB handled the TE.

While its a bad defensive play, you did see Furman do that to teams over and over again. I said this a while back, but Furman's offense didn't necessarily out-talent the defenses, they out executed them.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Well, file under "surprising," but it looks like Connor Shaw resigned his post as Furman TE coach to enter the private sector.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports...20180731o6ljeq

Dru Drake has been around the program for a bit and this will be his first entrance to coaching.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Well, file under "surprising," but it looks like Connor Shaw resigned his post as Furman TE coach to enter the private sector.

very strange timing.........I guess the private sector job has lots of $$$$$ and benefits (like no 75 hour work weeks....)
    1-AA is tops!!

I thought that was Doogie Howser in that picture. Seriously though, I remember congratulating Furman on the hiring of Connor Shaw. I thought he would probably be a really good recruiter as well as a fine coach. Young Dru Drake may do a good job, but I would have some concern with this swap if I was a Furman Fan.

It’s DUKE, not Drake. Drake is the rapper, whose lyrics, if you quoted them on Twitter 7 years ago when you were a teenager, will render you a national pariah. So, it’s Duke, as in the James Buchanan Duke Library or the Duke Endowment...both well-known to Furman Students & Alums.

I don’t know if Dru is one of those Duke’s, but I hope so. And I’m sure he’ll do a fine job Coaching the Paladin TE’s under the watchful eyes of Coach Hendrix, Coach Quarles, Coach Lusk, and Coach Bratton. Y’know, it’s just fun listing off those guys names knowing what outstanding Coaches they are & that they are even better Men than they are Coaches. Sorry, I digressed.

No inside knowledge, but I’m guessing Connor Shaw might be headed to work with the Everett Sports Marketing firm in Greenville. Just a hunch. Probably didn’t LOVE Coaching quite as much as he thought he would and the hours are LONG for a young husband & father. Looks like ESM has a good thing goin and if that’s where he’s headed, I’m sure he will do well...and FU’s TE’s will be just fine.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; July 31st, 2018 at 04:35 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    I thought that was Doogie Howser in that picture. Seriously though, I remember congratulating Furman on the hiring of Connor Shaw. I thought he would probably be a really good recruiter as well as a fine coach. Young Dru Drake may do a good job, but I would have some concern with this swap if I was a Furman Fan.
    I mean, yes and no.

From a game standpoint, the TE coach is, in my opinion, the least critical position coach on the field. Much of what they do can be covered by other position groups like OL and WR. If you are going to promote a grad assistant to a position coach, TE is probably your best bet. Besides, Furman has a lot of coaching experience on the offensive side of the ball. Drake has been around the program and worked under Hendrix, so I doubt there will be much of an issue from the x's and o's.

From a personnel standpoint, losing Shaw probably hurts a bit just because he was going to be a really impressive ambassador for the university. If the guy does not want to coach, though, I'm glad we know that now.
    FU all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    It’s DUKE, not Drake. Drake is the rapper, whose lyrics, if you quoted them on Twitter 7 years ago when you were a teenager, will render you a natural O’Neal pariah. So, it’s Duke, as in the James Buchanan Duke Library or the Duke Endowment...both well-known to Furman Students & Alums.

I don’t know if Dru is one of those Duke’s, but I hope so. And I’m sure he’ll do a fine job Coaching the Paladin TE’s under the watchful eyes of Coach Hendrix, Coach Quarles, Coach Lusk, and Coach Bratton. Y’know, it’s just fun listing off those guys names knowing what outstanding Coaches they are & that they are even better Men than they are Coaches. Sorry, I digressed.

No inside knowledge, but I’m guessing Connor Shaw might be headed to work with the Everett Sports Marketing firm in Greenville. Just a hunch. Probably didn’t LOVE Coaching quite as much as he thought he would and the hours are LONG for a young husband & father. Looks like ESM has a good thing goin and if that’s where he’s headed, I’m sure he will do well...and FU’s TE’s will be just fine.

You're right. I've read his name for a few years and always read it Drake. Mental lapse.
    FU all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    You're right. I've read his name for a few years and always read it Drake. Mental lapse.
    Library Aversion Syndrome, I would imagine or possibly some type of Coach K hatred you harbor.

I only know the FU Library’s name because there was the world’s most comfortable 7+ foot long white leather couch in the reading room off to the right of the entrance. Many hours of SWEET naps on that couch during my 7 years at Furman.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

First Class FCS Advocate sudog03's Avatar

Call me crazy, but I think Davis Tull would have had more than 36 tackles in 3 seasons at Miami (OH). That's 12 tackles a year average for you JSU fans. Making evaluations off of someone's highlight tape is ill-advised. Production is what matters. If you want to go with the part of your post that says "tull-like moments",OK, but I'd be in a lot less agreement with the part of your same post that makes a direct comparison with him. I mean dude was DPOY in the league for 3 straight seasons and had 18 TFL alone his senior year.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Library Aversion Syndrome, I would imagine or possibly some type of Coach K hatred you harbor.

I only know the FU Library’s name because there was the world’s most comfortable 7+ foot long white leather couch in the reading room off to the right of the entrance. Many hours of SWEET naps on that couch during my 7 years at Furman.
    7 years? So you left as a sophomore?