Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon Pre-Season / "Camp Life" Thread

THINGS - IMO
    I get about(using the most conservative figures) 6-5, 298 for our O-Line. This is not far off from the looks of most other SoCon O-Lines. There are several on this group that could become all conference - very talented. I wouldn't even try to cipher the stats of the LBs and secondary. Question marks remain there. I will predict that our DBs will be as fast or faster than any others in the SoCon, as they are relatively long and swift.
    While there is some validity that our schedule is problematic with Shorter, it is also possible that Samford provides the best SoCon OOC win at Kennesaw State(who also has Shorter on their schedule for next season). The Athlon article made it sound like we will lose that one, or maybe it just rang that way to me. I agree that we will be underdogs there, but not to the extent that we will in Tallahassee of course.
    No kicker in the SoCon(and few in D-1 period) can come close to Berryman - sorry FUB.
    Here's also hoping that Ahmad Gooden can stay injury free and get that award.
    Defensive questions for Samford really worry me. Shaheed Salmon, Deion Pierre, Ke'tyrus Marks, Omari Williams, and some others are players that aren't easily replaced.
    If Mercer upsets Sanford 0-2, then I think that Mercer defense will take them far into the Playoffs - LOL.
    Wofford does have a new era coming, BUT they also have some really good players returning. I wouldn't drop them very far.
    The biggest mystery team to me is UTC. We can't seem to beat them regardless.
    I wish we had Furman early, as their new QB might be more questionable than later in the season. BIG shoes to fill there.

Offensive line measurables are not terribly important, in my opinion. Different teams in this conference ask different things from their offensive line. A hulking Samford OT, for instance, who spends most of his time pass blocking, probably isn't going to be that useful in the Citadel's offense and vice versa.

I probably should be more worried about Furman's QB than I am, but I'm comfortable with either guy. I'm pretty convinced that a strong running game will make even a mediocre QB look like a wizard out there. Furman should have a good OL in front of a stout running game with speed in the backfield. Those two things together will help ease the transition.

The biggest concern on Furman's offense for me is having a guy that can back up Kealand Dirks and keep the barrage up 15 carries a game.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Offensive line measurables are not terribly important
    Your absolute best post ever!
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    If Mercer upsets Sanford 0-2, then I think that Mercer defense will take them far into the Playoffs
    Held ‘em to 2 TD’s last year (1 on a very short field), WHILE Mercer’s Offense was also playing as hard it possibly could FOR Samford...and I think the Bears’ D will be even better this year. So, as I doubt Mercer’s O will go full Washington Generals again this go-round, I am going to, at present, stick with my 2-0 prediction for that game. I may revise it at a latter date.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    No kicker in the SoCon(and few in D-1 period) can come close to Berryman - sorry FUB

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Your absolute best post ever!
    I was an all region and all city center at 5'11 190. I get it.

I played in the wrong era.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I was an all region and all city center at 5'11 190. I get it.

I played in the wrong era.
    And the wrong sport apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    And the wrong sport apparently
    I probably could have passed as a serviceable offensive linemen in the 60s. Wrestling in between baseball and football didn't exactly help maintain playing weight.

Besides, being undersized wasn't really much of a disadvantage. If you are a technically sound player, you can routinely beat guys twice your size.
    FU all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I always hated articles that included multiple points on the same team. It is lazy writing... We should create our own bold predictions.

1. ETSU surprises everybody and wins the SoCon
    2. VMI will win 2 games this year
    3. Mercer fans will be excited to see their wins advertised for 15 seconds in Times Square
    4. Youcanbankit cursed Samford with his multiple bragging threads and Samford finishes 5th in the league
    5. All of the option teams will decide the offense is ineffective and drop that style of play for 2019

Ouch Smitty, you hurt my feeling. I only have one left....lol. I have been saying for two years this team is on the rise. I have been involved in college football for 20 years and know talent when I see it....thats all. I think they have proven they are rising and shown on the field they are getting better. I expect no less this year and next. After that, who knows. No bragging, just faith in the team and willing to say it in public. No curses, just blessings and many more blessings this year. They may lay an egg, but I dont think so. We will see at the end of the year if my faith and belief in this talent is correct. It only matters if they do it on the field. We will see you in Birmingham on October 6th. Not bragging just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Rue

I LOVE #4!!!
    LOL....Hope you make the game on September 15th in Birmingham.