Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

SoCon Pre-Season / "Camp Life" Thread

Per kd's suggestion, starting a new SoCon thread as we move away from "Off-Season" and into the "Pre-Season"

I know Wofford and VMI fans will be THRILLED to move away from Off-Seasons of much change. Maybe CIT & ETSU fans as well.

So, we can use this thread for updates / discussions of what's going on with the 9 SoCon Teams as they begin their Pre-Season Camps and get ready for those 8/30 (Samford & Chattanooga) and 9/1 (the other 7 with CIT & WOF vs. each other) Opening Day games.

I think this would be a great place for Samford, Wofford, WCU, Chattanooga, Citadel, ETSU, and VMI Fans to post ALL of the inside details of their Teams' camps. New schemes, injured players, players in new positions, coaching staff rifts, QB controversies, all of that sort of stuff. HAVE AT IT!

I'll start with some of that juicy 'insider' stuff on Mercer and Furman...

...Players from both Furman and Mercer will be reporting for camp soon. All of the Players on the online rosters are expected to report AND there may be a few others added after they report!

You heard it hear 1st!
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Re: SoCon Pre-Season / "Camp Life" Thread

OK....I'll actually share some "Insider Stuff" on the Bears...

Welp....I was gonna say that this guy is not on the Online Roster, but I expect him to be added when Players report...but he has just been added. Barring injury, I expect him to be an impact Player for Mercer's D in 2018...

https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6576

Still trying to come up with some Bears scoop for y'all...how about learning the inside scoop on how Mercer runs their Outside Zone / Stretch play or what are the techniques they use to have the #1 Kickoff Coverage Team in the country?...See below...

Not only do you expect him to be an "impact player" but haven't you already compared him to Davis Tull? That might be a stretch don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Not only do you expect him to be an "impact player" but haven't you already compared him to Davis Tull? That might be a stretch don't ya think?
    My exact comment was...

Also, I may be committing SoCon blasphemy here, but when I look at these highlights, the comparison that comes to my mind - in terms of speed, aggressiveness, and ‘motor’ - is Davis Tull, former Chatt. DE, who was 3-time SoCon DPOY. Hope that lofty comparison doesn’t ‘jinx’ him. “ (bolding added)

Nope - not a stretch. I stand by that exact wording of that comment. I watched Mr. Earnest’s highlight film and some of Mr. Tull’s videos several times consecutively to be sure that I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing when I watched Mr. Earnest’s highlight the 1st time. Very similar looking Players in those videos. If Mr. Earnest plays (consistently) on the field with the aggressiveness and & motor evident in his highlights, he will be an impact Player.

1 caveat. I believe Mercer is going to use him in an OLB role in a 3-man Front. In the highlight video, he is playing (mostly) with his hand on the ground in a 4-man front at Miami, as Mr. Tull did during his days with the Mocs. I LOVED Mr. Earnest with his hand on the ground. I only ‘liked him a lot’ in the few plays he was playing a stand up LB position. Obviously, Mercer’s base front is 3-man and the DE role in that alignment is different than the DE role in a 4 man front; so I’m OK with them ‘calling’ him a LB. That said, Mercer (as does any 3-4 Team) walks-up 1 OLB quite often...and often that OLB will be in a 3 or 4 point stance. In the old days, when FU ran a “50” D (which is more similar to a 3-4 than not), we had a Rush End & a Drop End, which often put us, essentially, into a 4-3 alignment. So, if Mercer calls him an OLB and we MOSTLY see him as a “Rush End” in that role, I think we will all be able to see some Tull-like-moments. If, on the other hand, we see him in a 2 point and in more of a ‘Drop End’ role or in an ILB (please, NO!) role, then he will probably only be a solid contributor for Mercer.

It’s not just about HAVING the horses. They have to be run right.

(BTW - PROPS to you, SU DOG, for the preemptive strike in posting this nugget before I took the opportunity to post about you quite favorably comparing Samford’s Football program to that of NDSU. I don’t recall the exact context, but I’m almost positive that it had NOTHING to do with winning Playoff Games.)

You must NOT remember the context at all, and it had nothing to do with winning football games or comparing to the NDSU program(Bama of FCS) period. It was in response to your dismay of big OL. Hope your recall problem gets better.

With-out two-a-days, is it even "camp" anymore? Part of me understands the decision to limit practices to prevent injury, but are they truly preventing injuries, or are they increasing "heat related" episodes in the early season?
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    With-out two-a-days, is it even "camp" anymore? Part of me understands the decision to limit practices to prevent injury, but are they truly preventing injuries, or are they increasing "heat related" episodes in the early season?
    It is different, certainly.

As a player who played both ways in high school (and snapped on special teams) and endured two a days in South Georgia, those sorts of practices are character building. Not sure if they are productive or helpful, but character building. Much tougher than what those players had to go through in more northern parts of the country, like Atlanta.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I don't know who Kristen Banks is, but from seeing her in these videos, I think Mercer might have an unfair recruiting weapon.

I liked this video Furman threw up there today. Its a good example of how the Furman offense creates headaches for defenses.

It's fourth and 2. Furman has a TE, FB (Dirks), and TB (Luke) in the game. Furman's grand advantage last year was beating teams with matchups. This is another example. I'm not sure how a DC deploys his defense against this look.

ETSU has no chance on the play. None of this is "fancy." It's just taking advantage of matchups and getting there "firstest with the mostest."

FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I liked this video Furman threw up there today. Its a good example of how the Furman offense creates headaches for defenses.

It's fourth and 2. Furman has a TE, FB (Dirks), and TB (Luke) in the game. Furman's grand advantage last year was beating teams with matchups. This is another example. I'm not sure how a DC deploys his defense against this look.

ETSU has no chance on the play. None of this is "fancy." It's just taking advantage of matchups and getting there "firstest with the mostest."

I’m no DC, but I’m pretty sure a good way to get beat on D is to match up my 5 vs. their 6 on the Wide side of the field. This is just pee-poor Coaching. FU only blocked 4 of the 5 and either the dive can probably go in almost untouched (as he did) or the pitch man could have.

Actually, Furman only BLOCKED 1 man (of the 5 on the Playside) - the p/s DE. They ran off the CB in Man Coverage, the OLB was unblocked & had QB assignment (presumably), the p/s Safety completely took himself out of the play with taking an awful angle, and the p/s ILB blitzed A-Gap taking himself out of the play.

If you can’t line even up on D, you better hope the Offense finds a way to beat themselves. If the O really only has to make 1 block, they aren’t likely to beat themselves.

Funny also that your hear the announcer starting to heap praise on FU’s O-Line. Only the LT & the TE (#72 & #80) needed to make their blocks. The rest of them, basically, could have just fallen down at the snap & it still would have been a TD. O-Line always takes too much blame & rarely gets too much credit, but this one time they did. This is really just a case of FU clearly OUTCOACHING their opponents.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; July 31st, 2018 at 12:17 PM.