Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...tm_medium=Link

Please add your perspective. I don't have the expertise to discuss either conference.

Re: Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by VandalBasher View Post
    https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...tm_medium=Link

Please add your perspective. I don't have the expertise to discuss either conference.
    It’s very simple, VB...

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

First Class FCS Ruler Redbird 4th & short's Avatar

good comparison .. IMHO, both conferences seemed to slip a bit the past few years but then re-emerged last year with some depth.

Generally, based only on last year, I think Big Sky is stronger at top with more good teams, but Southern has less weak teams to feast on at bottom. I happen to think EWU will emerge this year as final 4 type team. So I think those factors tip scales in Big Sky's favor heading into this season.

But if I had to guess who's trend line is higher, it seems like Southern is on a nice trajectory .. just a gut feel thing.

The Big Sky. Better overall conference. EWU, Weber and SUU should all be good this year again. NAU was a playoff team. Sac St, UCDavis and Nothern Colorado all seem to be on the rise. Montana should be relevant soon and Idaho is no joke. I’m not saying the SoCon is bad, but outside of Samford who can you count on? Furman needs to show up again this year. Wofford will not be as good as they were this last year again. I just see the BSC as the overall superior conference.

The Socon edges out the Big sky. More NFL players, more coaches who have played, coached and or won at the national championship level in different divisions, and over all more size and speed. Its a close one, but the Socon edges the Big Sky.

The SOCon has some good teams year in year out, but I don’t see elite programs in that league anymore. The BSC does have some historically elite programs, so I’ll give them the nod.

Master FCS Advocate PaladinNation's Avatar

I have only a passing knowledge of EWU and Weber… I will say Weber impressed.
    I did watch some of the butt-whooping NAU received at the hands of San Diego, I wasn't impressed.

I would put the SoCon into three buckets

top three
    Samford — potential top 5 team needs to show up in the playoffs and get a few wins.
    Furman — still a young team but excellent coaching and influx of athletic physical talent.
    Mercer — this could be the year that Mercer gets to the playoffs.

question marks
    Wofford — Ayers was a legend, how will the new regime navigate a tough SoCon road schedule?
    Chattanooga — Talent everywhere, but something was amiss in Arth's first season.
    Western — Talent everywhere, maybe too dependent on Adams.

dark horses
    The Citadel — Have the talent, can be a scheme matchup nightmare.
    ETSU — You can't sleep on the Bucs, new coach lots of talent.

When I break the SoCon teams down this way — the SoCon has eight teams that have a ton of talent, anything could happen in 2018 and not surprise me. The weak link is VMI. I know they have to be included here but they have a long way to go. Speaking of elite teams — the SoCon needs to soon get a team as far as the semis to be included in those conversations again. I see only one realistic SoCon candidate this year — SAMFORD. And the DOGS better get it done this season.

I expect the DINS to take another step this season but FURMAN is still rebuilding — my hope is by 2020 Furman will be able to compete at or near the elite level again.

Would love to see a similar breakdown of the Big Sky.

AGS FCS Champion

I think big sky is on the rise. Seems like some of the teams are a bit erratic however and like the mvfc they feed off each other. I always wonder which version of the team will show up. UCD and ballSAC ST seemed to be poised for something, will see if they show up. Idaho is an unknown but I expect they will be better than people are counting on. EWU, SUU, Weber, NAU should all excel. UM and MSU all were in the rise. GFCC and UNC will all need to hit the weight room and will be the bottom feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the eyes of voters, the Big Sky is ahead of the SoCon. To me, they're on equal footing.

First Class FCS Ruler Sandlapper Spike's Avatar
    Land of the crescent moon and the palmetto tree

The difference in the number of teams in each league makes it a bit harder to compare them, imo.