Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Class FCS Ruler VandalBasher's Avatar
    My Team
    Idaho Vandals

Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...tm_medium=Link

Please add your perspective. I don't have the expertise to discuss either conference.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by VandalBasher View Post
    https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...tm_medium=Link

Please add your perspective. I don't have the expertise to discuss either conference.
    It’s very simple, VB...

NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

good comparison .. IMHO, both conferences seemed to slip a bit the past few years but then re-emerged last year with some depth.

Generally, based only on last year, I think Big Sky is stronger at top with more good teams, but Southern has less weak teams to feast on at bottom. I happen to think EWU will emerge this year as final 4 type team. So I think those factors tip scales in Big Sky's favor heading into this season.

But if I had to guess who's trend line is higher, it seems like Southern is on a nice trajectory .. just a gut feel thing.

My Team
    Sam Houston State

The Big Sky. Better overall conference. EWU, Weber and SUU should all be good this year again. NAU was a playoff team. Sac St, UCDavis and Nothern Colorado all seem to be on the rise. Montana should be relevant soon and Idaho is no joke. I’m not saying the SoCon is bad, but outside of Samford who can you count on? Furman needs to show up again this year. Wofford will not be as good as they were this last year again. I just see the BSC as the overall superior conference.

My Team
    Samford

The Socon edges out the Big sky. More NFL players, more coaches who have played, coached and or won at the national championship level in different divisions, and over all more size and speed. Its a close one, but the Socon edges the Big Sky.

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    The Socon edges out the Big sky. More NFL players, more coaches who have played, coached and or won at the national championship level in different divisions, and over all more size and speed. Its a close one, but the Socon edges the Big Sky.
    So when is the SoCon going to have a team make it to the Semi’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No good story starts with I was sober......

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    So when is the SoCon going to have a team make it to the Semi’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are obviously in the group that doesn't remember the SoCon putting a team in the national title game nearly every year for 20 years.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    You are obviously in the group that doesn't remember the SoCon putting a team in the national title game nearly every year for 20 years.
    What does that have to do with the question at hand?
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    What does that have to do with the question at hand?
    It answers the snarky question of "So when is the SoCon going to have a team make it to the Semi’s?"

The answer is they've put teams in the semifinals a bunch of times. The conference underwent a massive upheaval in the last five years and lost their two most powerful programs. The Conference has regained its footing and is re-establishing itself as a top tier FCS conference.

The general answer is that I don't know when the SoCon will make the semis again. Wofford cam darn close two years ago and gave Youngstown everything they could handle. I think it will be sooner rather than later.

If I had to bet, I might say that the next semifinal team might be Furman in 2019 (next season). The Paladins played a bunch of freshmen last year and made the second round. There are only 11 seniors on the current roster and none on the offensive line. Next year they will be mostly juniors and seniors and I expect will be a handful.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    My memory only goes back about 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Funnier than no one, loser at smack