Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Redshirt Rules amended to allow players 4 games a season.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

NCAA Redshirt Rules amended to allow players 4 games a season.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...le-change-2018

This is HUGE. I'd honestly say NDSU just got that much stronger, considering we attempt to redshirt each and every class the comes in.

Now we can still Redshirt classes and still get them some in game reps.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 '17 '18 & '19 National Champions

My Team
    James Madison

Re: NCAA Redshirt Rules amended to allow players 4 games a season.

Yes this is huge for all programs. It can help with depth and injuries by allowing your true freshman to still get game experience without burning a redshirt year.
    You can not play your starters as deep in blowout games, although mike Houston’s greatest weakness is playing starters too deep into some games.

My Team
    James Madison

I’m assuming there’s no extension of those four games for teams that make the postseason?

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    I’m assuming there’s no extension of those four games for teams that make the postseason?
    Not sure about that. It is a good question.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

AGS FCS Champion

I would guess there isn't either but it should make for some interesting decisions by coaching staffs. Do they use up their true frosh's "redshirt games" in the non-conference when games are the least meaningful or do they perhaps hold out and use them in the playoffs when games are the most meaningful? Regardless, I think it's a great change.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

I love this change. This is really going to help us out since we don't have great depth in some places and can play some freshman and still keep them redshirted.

Another concern answered: "the Council adopted noncontroversial legislation to specify that midyear enrollees who participate in postseason football competition that occurs before or during the student-athlete’s first term at a school cannot use the exception." I guess that means if you bring in a transfer in December for the championship game, he has to burn the whole year.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Top FCS Advocate NorthChuckSouth's Avatar
    My Team
    Charleston Southern

I read somewhere earlier that the cutoff is Week 11. I would also assume that there won't be extensions.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NorthChuckSouth View Post
    I read somewhere earlier that the cutoff is Week 11. I would also assume that there won't be extensions.
    While still a good change I'd be a bit disappointed if this week 11 cutoff was the case. If a team gets decimated at a particular position in the playoffs it sure would be nice to have a true freshman or two they could utilize for some depth without having to burn a redshirt. Like I said earlier it would also make the coaches think a little harder about whether to use those 4 redshirt games early in the season or "saving them".
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    While still a good change I'd be a bit disappointed if this week 11 cutoff was the case. If a team gets decimated at a particular position in the playoffs it sure would be nice to have a true freshman or two they could utilize for some depth without having to burn a redshirt. Like I said earlier it would also make the coaches think a little harder about whether to use those 4 redshirt games early in the season or "saving them".
    I like the fact that there's a cutoff. It's a little unfair to a player to throw or thrust him into a playoff-type situation without anytime of burn before hand.

And with some positions, you'd can use those redshirts as a training camp extension of sorts. If you have a position that lacks veteran experience, you can use those 4 games to determine who can start going into conference play.

A&T could've used this rule back when Lamar Raynard was freshman. He came in with Hassan Klugh, who transferred to Charlotte the same year. Our coaches decided not to burn Raynard's redshirt and instead played Klugh, when our starter Quick got hurt. I believe that was the year we pushed then #5 Coastal Carolina to the wire.

I imagine even how much further Raynard could be if he had the chance to get live ammo and reps in games during his RS season.