Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: FCS playoffs and bowl games? It's a thought (STATS FCS article)

Quote Originally Posted by katss07 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. SWAC needs to go too. I am alright with the MEAC staying and participating in the CB, only because they allow teams to go to the playoffs. But the Ivy and SWAC need to be gone.
    We follow the same model as the MEAC though.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    If the ivy will play a bowl game but not partake in the playoffs, they should be kicked out of fcs.

Of course I think they should be kicked out anyway since they donít follow the middle initial of fcs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The name change from 1-A and 1-AA had nothing to do with playoff eligibility. A present day FCS school is no more required to participate in the playoffs present day as a 1-AA was back in the 80s,90s or 2000s

BZ Nupe!

D2 has some bowl games like the Mineral Water Bowl. It has the top teams from the NSIC and MIAA who didnít make the playoffs.

Major FCS Advocate DeltaDevil662's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    We follow the same model as the MEAC though.
    The exact DAMN model. That's why I try to limit my posts over here because some of these "holier-than-thou" (closet racist) posters over here act like they are the gatekeepers of the FCS and FCS playoffs talking out the side of their neck. The SWAC didn't leave the playoffs. They gave up the autobid.

Schools like Alabama State, Southern and Grambling didn't eliminate themselves from the FCS playoffs. They had long standing traditional games that predate the FCS playoffs and expansion of said playoffs. WHY should they move their games to participate in a money losing playoff system that hardly anyone care about. And since the championship game has been moved back 3 weeks to around the same time as the FBS title game, it would make perfect sense to move the playoffs back one week.

But nope. Let's continue the "SWAC and MEAC are scared of competition" narrative to make ourselves feel better

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    As long as a SWAC team not named Grambling or Southern plays and wins a strong enough OOC schedule + wins 7 or more games, they can be invited to the playoffs. That team would also have to avoid making the SWAC Championship Game.

There are hurdles but technically, The SWAC never came out as a conference to say they won't play in the playoffs. You just need a team like Alcorn, Jackson State or Prairie View to schedule and win high quality OOC games on the way to an 8-win season, avoiding the SCG.
    +1. Precisely.
    Nickels - "My "127.3 soaking wet" ass will meet you anytime. Come to Houston and send me a PM. We both know there aren't cops here to stop anything. Be a man and back it up. I'm near Yale and Rutland but I will meet your worthless black ass anywhere in the city.

edit - Yale and 27th. Near Rutland."

AGS FCS Champion

As long as a SWAC team not named Grambling or Southern plays and wins a strong enough OOC schedule + wins 7 or more games, they can be invited to the playoffs. That team would also have to avoid making the SWAC Championship Game.

There are hurdles but technically, The SWAC never came out as a conference to say they won't play in the playoffs. You just need a team like Alcorn, Jackson State or Prairie View to schedule and win high quality OOC games on the way to an 8-win season, avoiding the SCG.
    Sorry if you take offense to this but the SWAC as a whole, not just a few teams, needs to upgrade their game if an 8 win SWAC team that doesn't win their league is going to be a playoff team. Last year 9-2 McNeese missed out and I'd argue the SLC was head and shoulders above the SWAC last year.

Also, isn't the SWAC title game done? So, presumably, the 2nd best team in the SWAC would be eligible for the playoffs if that isn't Grambling or Southern?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDevil662 View Post
    The exact DAMN model. That's why I try to limit my posts over here because some of these "holier-than-thou" (closet racist) posters over here act like they are the gatekeepers of the FCS and FCS playoffs talking out the side of their neck. The SWAC didn't leave the playoffs. They gave up the autobid.

Schools like Alabama State, Southern and Grambling didn't eliminate themselves from the FCS playoffs. They had long standing traditional games that predate the FCS playoffs and expansion of said playoffs. WHY should they move their games to participate in a money losing playoff system that hardly anyone care about. And since the championship game has been moved back 3 weeks to around the same time as the FBS title game, it would make perfect sense to move the playoffs back one week.

But nope. Let's continue the "SWAC and MEAC are scared of competition" narrative to make ourselves feel better
    Alright, I'll bite. If you move the playoffs back a week you'd be playing the semifinals on or very near Christmas. We've already seen how well Thanksgiving weekend games are attended.... imagine that being Christmas weekend especially when you only have a week to sell tickets. It's not going to happen.

As far as the playoffs being a "money losing system" if you don't host a game you're not going to lose any money unless you want to bring more than the NCAA allotted travel party (which is something like 110 and includes players, coaching staff, support staff, and cheer team).
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Sorry if you take offense to this but the SWAC as a whole, not just a few teams, needs to upgrade their game if an 8 win SWAC team that doesn't win their league is going to be a playoff team. Last year 9-2 McNeese missed out and I'd argue the SLC was head and shoulders above the SWAC last year.

Also, isn't the SWAC title game done? So, presumably, the 2nd best team in the SWAC would be eligible for the playoffs if that isn't Grambling or Southern?
    I don't take offense to what you said here at all. It's honestly objective and could be said about the MEAC as a whole too. It's theoretically possible for the SWAC to land At-Large bids. But for that to happen, teams overall have to drastically improve their OOC scheduling, and win those games. If Alcorn, Alabama A&M, Pine Bluff, Jackson State, Valley, Prairie View, and Texas Southern gave themselves a winning record collectively against quality OOC competition, they could give themselves compelling resumes for bids. If they do that, the 2nd place team in either division could have a compelling argument to get in at 8-3 or even 7-4.

The MEAC has to do this too, and to many of their member teams, they do schedule quality teams. But that doesn't matter if they don't win.

Overall, it's a tough thing to do when you're also looking to schedule games that maximize your school's athletic budget, not just the football program. Oftentimes, most of us are looking for FBS money games, compelling classics or looking for FCS teams that will pay to play.

I don't take offense to what you said here at all. It's honestly objective and could be said about the MEAC as a whole too. It's theoretically possible for the SWAC to land At-Large bids. But for that to happen, teams overall have to drastically improve their OOC scheduling, and win those games. If Alcorn, Alabama A&M, Pine Bluff, Jackson State, Valley, Prairie View, and Texas Southern gave themselves a winning record collectively against quality OOC competition, they could give themselves compelling resumes for bids. If they do that, the 2nd place team in either division could have a compelling argument to get in at 8-3 or even 7-4.

The MEAC has to do this too, and to many of their member teams, they do schedule quality teams. But that doesn't matter if they don't win.

Overall, it's a tough thing to do when you're also looking to schedule games that maximize your school's athletic budget, not just the football program. Oftentimes, most of us are looking for FBS money games, compelling classics or looking for FCS teams that will pay to play.
    Only once or twice that I can remember that a SWAC non champ was considered for an at large. 2005 when Alabama A&M back doored into there way into the title game after it looked like they would be left out at 9-2 and a top 20 ranking, and 2013 where Alcorn State went 9-2 but missed the title game.

BZ Nupe!

Quote Originally Posted by ASU33 View Post
    Only once or twice that I can remember that a SWAC non champ was considered for an at large. 2005 when Alabama A&M back doored into there way into the title game after it looked like they would be left out at 9-2 and a top 20 ranking, and 2013 where Alcorn State went 9-2 but missed the title game.
    This year, PV has a really good shot for an At-Large bid. But they have to beat NCCU and Sam Houston State. If they can go 2-2 or 3-1 OOC, an 8-3 record (with a loss to Southern or Grambling) gives the Panthers a really good shot at the playoffs. They're a lock if they beat Rice, if they don't win the SWAC West.

They certainly scheduled for the playoffs, if they don't make the SCG.

This year, PV has a really good shot for an At-Large bid. But they have to beat NCCU and Sam Houston State. If they can go 2-2 or 3-1 OOC, an 8-3 record (with a loss to Southern or Grambling) gives the Panthers a really good shot at the playoffs. They're a lock if they beat Rice, if they don't win the SWAC West.

They certainly scheduled for the playoffs, if they don't make the SCG.

Good point. Not sure if PV is ready to take that step though.

BZ Nupe!