Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Athlon Sports 2018 Projected Playoff Field

Quote Originally Posted by Catbooster View Post
    Based on this and the top 25 article, Haley really likes Bobby Hauck. Seems like he's largely basing that on Bobby's record at UM 9-15 years ago and Montana's reputation (which they haven't lived up to for a while). Hauck may very well get the Griz back to being a perennial contender, but I have my doubts that it will be this quick. They're going to have to win a few games to get much consideration on my poll. They had a decent record last year but it was against some pretty bad teams.

Any Griz fans that want to point out what I'm missing? It's time to start thinking about that Poll Perfection mulligan for doing the pre-season poll.
    Haley came into the job immediately after Hauck left UM, so maybe he felt jipped.

I'd be quite surprised if the Griz made the playoffs this year. I thought firing Stitt to get Hauck was stupid when it happened, and nothing that's happened since has changed my mind on that.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    Bold prediction Cotton! Good discussion point when I see you at the Delaware game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it....

Just a "gut" feeling on the prediction of no playoffs for the Jacks this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    And Thumper just boycotted the honey.

Seeing is believing....

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.
    I agree with Wofford out, maybe, but not necessarily replaced by WCU. Maybe. But Mercer, or my Dogs could sneak in as easily as WCU. As always, it could be a fur ball.

Major FCS Advocate Killamike259's Avatar

OVC is not a 2 bid conference, sorry but it’s just going to be one of either us or JSU, unless we get a surprise this year from Murray State or EIU

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Killamike259 View Post
    OVC is not a 2 bid conference, sorry but it’s just going to be one of either us or JSU, unless we get a surprise this year from Murray State or EIU

I mean if you guys go 9-2 and we go 11-0 I really don't see how we don't both get in. What would really help is if we could get EIU, UTM, and TSU at 6 or 7 wins.

This list seems alright. I like that they have Sam as the SLC Champ! I see the Southland as a two bid league so having Nicholls in as an at large also makes sense. I do think those two teams (Sam and Nicholls) will be the best in the conference. Conference will could be wide open this year though.

I’m not sold on Wofford or Austin Peay. Jacksonville State, despite the playoff struggles, is still the better team IMO. And the OVC is a one bid league. I know Montana being back in the playoffs would make a lot of folks around here happy...

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    SDSU will not make the playoffs this year.
    Way to take all the suspense out of the season for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    And Thumper just boycotted the honey.
    Takes a lot more than the internet to get me to boycott anything, much less good honey.

I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    Furman, Samford and Chatt make the playoffs from SoCon. Wofford has the talent but new coach learning curve. SoCon will not get 4 teams in playoffs. I think Chatt has the talent and learned from the debacle of last year.

Wofford is an enigma this year. I was not in the room, so I don’t know what the plan was, but from an outsider’s perspective it sure does look like they’ve had an awful offseason. I don’t I have seen a program bungle the transition from long-time coach to successor like Wofford did this year.

That said, the Terrier’s should have a stout defense. Will it matter that the new defensive coordinator is (I think) in his late 20s and has never coached in the SoCon? Lookign at their coaching staff, it appears only one defensive coach has ever been a full time primary position coach at the D1 level, and he was the defensive line coach at VMI (arguably the worst FCS team in the country). Will that inexperience make a difference? Especially with a first year head coach?

Offensively, they’ve lost a lot of talented players. Wade Lang is a veteran coach, but even Wofford fans have grown weary of his lack of offensive creativity and aversion to the forward pass.

The Terriers were the league’s most veteran squad last year and won by razor thin margins all season. This season they will have arguably a less talented team lead by a largely inexperienced coaching staff going against a league where most of the teams return most of their key contributors. In my opinion, they’ll go as far as their defense will carry them
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Wofford is an enigma this year. I was not in the room, so I don’t know what the plan was, but from an outsider’s perspective it sure does look like they’ve had an awful offseason. I don’t I have seen a program bungle the transition from long-time coach to successor like Wofford did this year.

That said, the Terrier’s should have a stout defense. Will it matter that the new defensive coordinator is (I think) in his late 20s and has never coached in the SoCon? Lookign at their coaching staff, it appears only one defensive coach has ever been a full time primary position coach at the D1 level, and he was the defensive line coach at VMI (arguably the worst FCS team in the country). Will that inexperience make a difference? Especially with a first year head coach?

Offensively, they’ve lost a lot of talented players. Wade Lang is a veteran coach, but even Wofford fans have grown weary of his lack of offensive creativity and aversion to the forward pass.

The Terriers were the league’s most veteran squad last year and won by razor thin margins all season. This season they will have arguably a less talented team lead by a largely inexperienced coaching staff going against a league where most of the teams return most of their key contributors. In my opinion, they’ll go as far as their defense will carry them
    Well, I kind of hate to pile on, but I think you didn’t even mention the Anklebiters potentially biggest area of “WTF?” - Offensive Line.

2017 - A highly-respected, 14 year veteran SoCon OL Coach & 4 Sr. Starters - 3 (I think) were All SoCon...maybe all 4

2018 - An OL Coach with 2 years experience as a HS Community (Part-time) OL Coach & 1 year as a Grad Asst. TE Coach at a D2 School in Mexico...or New Mexico, maybe. An OL corps with 3 FR, 6 R-Fr, 4 SO’s, & 3 Jr’s returning. 1 Full-Time Starter & another who Started 5 games.

As we saw with the bellhops last year, if that type of O doesn’t have a very good OL, games will not be won. Their new OL Coach may be the next Robbie Caldwell & those ‘babies’ they will have starting may all become 1st round NFL Draft picks, but right now, I think the jury is not only out, they haven’t even been empaneled.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Well, I kind of hate to pile on, but I think you didn’t even mention the Anklebiters potentially biggest area of “WTF?” - Offensive Line.

2017 - A highly-respected, 14 year veteran SoCon OL Coach & 4 Sr. Starters - 3 (I think) were All SoCon...maybe all 4

2018 - An OL Coach with 2 years experience as a HS Community (Part-time) OL Coach & 1 year as a Grad Asst. TE Coach at a D2 School in Mexico...or New Mexico, maybe. An OL corps with 3 FR, 6 R-Fr, 4 SO’s, & 3 Jr’s returning. 1 Full-Time Starter & another who Started 5 games.

As we saw with the bellhops last year, if that type of O doesn’t have a very good OL, games will not be won. Their new OL Coach may be the next Robbie Caldwell & those ‘babies’ they will have starting may all become 1st round NFL Draft picks, but right now, I think the jury is not only out, they haven’t even been empaneled.
    As an aside, I saw one of Wofford's recent OL recruits as a high school player. FCS type size, but struggled to block smaller quicker defenders. Not sure how that is going to translate up to D1 football.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."