Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Athlon Sports 2018 Projected Playoff Field

#2 James Madison University (14-1) vs. All 2018 challengers!

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Athlon Sports 2018 Projected Playoff Field

I'd have a tough time only seeing 3 of 14 Big Sky teams (including UND and Idaho) in the field. I could also see another SOCON team like Furman getting in to get them to 3. I'd assume the MVFC with 5 and the SLC with 3 bids would be the toughest to achieve.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point though as to what the playoff field will look like.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd have a tough time only seeing 3 of 14 Big Sky teams (including UND and Idaho) in the field. I could also see another SOCON team like Furman getting in to get them to 3. I'd assume the MVFC with 5 and the SLC with 3 bids would be the toughest to achieve.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point though as to what the playoff field will look like.
    Is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Was not sure on their scholly level, etc.

But I'd agree with the MVFC/ SLC points. The problem is I cannot say which out of those teams would be the outlier. It will come down to perceived SOS (SLC) and getting to at least 6 quality wins (MVFC) which have been both leagues undoing in good teams missing the field. I think the CAA has the best chance to get the 5 projected here. Could also toss in Stony Brook as well, replacing Elon would be my guess. The league is improving once again after a few 'down' years and should have a floor of 4 teams if things go haywire.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JMUNJ08 View Post
    Is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Was not sure on their scholly level, etc.

But I'd agree with the MVFC/ SLC points. The problem is I cannot say which out of those teams would be the outlier. It will come down to perceived SOS (SLC) and getting to at least 6 quality wins (MVFC) which have been both leagues undoing in good teams missing the field. I think the CAA has the best chance to get the 5 projected here. Could also toss in Stony Brook as well, replacing Elon would be my guess. The league is improving once again after a few 'down' years and should have a floor of 4 teams if things go haywire.
    Idaho is eligible for the playoffs this year I think. At least I thought I've seen VandalBasher say that on this board for what it's worth. I think for their last few years in FBS they were in the mid 70s for scholarships and then they signed a pretty small recruiting class this year to get down to 63.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JMUNJ08 View Post

There is no precedent for FBS to FCS....so we should assume that if they are @ 63 scholarships they'll be good to go.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 & '17 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    There is no precedent for FBS to FCS....so we should assume that if they are @ 63 scholarships they'll be good to go.
    So we are in a lawless society? Figures the vandals would be the ones to do it (inserted terrible dad joke).

Agreed its not D2 to D1 but wasn't sure on schollies or if they could win the auto bid. Usually the auto bid is a sign they are eligible/ ineligible as well.

AGS FCS Champion

Looks like Idaho is eligible for the Big Sky autobid as well: https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...iliations-2018

Idaho, which has returned to the Big Sky, and Campbell [Big South] are eligible for their respective conference titles and bids to the playoffs.
    I know UND is not eligible for the Big sky auto this year but can obviously still receive an at-large.

I think Furman should be going back again.

Based on this and the top 25 article, Haley really likes Bobby Hauck. Seems like he's largely basing that on Bobby's record at UM 9-15 years ago and Montana's reputation (which they haven't lived up to for a while). Hauck may very well get the Griz back to being a perennial contender, but I have my doubts that it will be this quick. They're going to have to win a few games to get much consideration on my poll. They had a decent record last year but it was against some pretty bad teams.

Any Griz fans that want to point out what I'm missing? It's time to start thinking about that Poll Perfection mulligan for doing the pre-season poll.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    I think Furman should be going back again.
    Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."