Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Expert

Re: Who's your rival?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Very similar to a tantrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we beat SDSU regularly again, all of the sudden it'll become the cute little brother.

First Class FCS Ruler Lorne_Malvo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Very similar to a tantrum

Fair assessment. I plead guilty.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Who's your rival?

Quote Originally Posted by VandalBasher View Post
    For the Admin, is there a way to highlight on the FCS spreadsheet with each of the rivalry games?

November 10th is going to be a great game in Moscow.
    To the point of this thread, whatís considered a rivalry? What games would make the cut? Idaho and Boise State May have been a rivalry but it no longer is. Thatíd be like calling UNI and Iowa rivals. Itís at fit many of the criteria but itís just not.

There are some UNI fans, and many NDSU fans, that would call that game a rivalry. Almost all UNI fans and a large number of NDSU fans (especially the long time/more involved/knowledgeable) would say it is an intense game, heated on the field, but itís not a rivalry game. We only play NDSU in football. Itís not a rivalry game for is (UNI).

99% of people from the outside would look at UNI/Missouri State and go ďno way thatís a rivalryĒ. UNI is 33-5 against MSU, MSU hasnít won since 05, and about 1/3rd of the games of the series has been a laugher. Yet itís a rivalry for us. ďBear weekĒ rolls around and it means something. Week, it used to mean more but it turns out after winning 33 of 38 games and 12 in a row in blow our fashion the fans start to lose interest to students and upcoming generations it isnít as important, but overall itís a big thing. It also doesnít help that former UNI coach, Terry Allen, is no longer the HC at MSU.

The MVFC is weird in that way. Itís a only football conference made up of 3 conferences. The MVC teams in the MVFC will come sidered each other rivals and the Summit teams will consider Summit teams rivals and YSU is all alone and doesnít belong with us.

The one exception is WIU, who has been a MVFC/Gateway member since day 1 with 30+ years of games against the MVC teams

Side note while I said Iowa and UNI is t a rivalry that is the one game I want to win. Period. I want to beat Iowa. Couldnít care less about ever winning a natty if we beat Iowa.

Also, NDSU fans can STFU about that one too

I like the idea and maybe itís something the wedge member can spitball behind the scenes to creat something.

Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    To the point of this thread, what’s considered a rivalry? What games would make the cut? Idaho and Boise State May have been a rivalry but it no longer is. That’d be like calling UNI and Iowa rivals. It’s at fit many of the criteria but it’s just not.

There are some UNI fans, and many NDSU fans, that would call that game a rivalry. Almost all UNI fans and a large number of NDSU fans (especially the long time/more involved/knowledgeable) would say it is an intense game, heated on the field, but it’s not a rivalry game. We only play NDSU in football. It’s not a rivalry game for is (UNI).

99% of people from the outside would look at UNI/Missouri State and go “no way that’s a rivalry”. UNI is 33-5 against MSU, MSU hasn’t won since 05, and about 1/3rd of the games of the series has been a laugher. Yet it’s a rivalry for us. “Bear week” rolls around and it means something. Week, it used to mean more but it turns out after winning 33 of 38 games and 12 in a row in blow our fashion the fans start to lose interest to students and upcoming generations it isn’t as important, but overall it’s a big thing. It also doesn’t help that former UNI coach, Terry Allen, is no longer the HC at MSU.

The MVFC is weird in that way. It’s a only football conference made up of 3 conferences. The MVC teams in the MVFC will come sidered each other rivals and the Summit teams will consider Summit teams rivals and YSU is all alone and doesn’t belong with us.

The one exception is WIU, who has been a MVFC/Gateway member since day 1 with 30+ years of games against the MVC teams

Side note while I said Iowa and UNI is t a rivalry that is the one game I want to win. Period. I want to beat Iowa. Couldn’t care less about ever winning a natty if we beat Iowa.

I like the idea and maybe it’s something the wedge member can spitball behind the scenes to creat something.

Ironically enough, the year we beat Iowa we didn't win the National Title.

Felt like a wasted year.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 & '17 National Champions

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    To the point of this thread, whatís considered a rivalry? What games would make the cut? Idaho and Boise State May have been a rivalry but it no longer is. Thatíd be like calling UNI and Iowa rivals. Itís at fit many of the criteria but itís just not.

There are some UNI fans, and many NDSU fans, that would call that game a rivalry. Almost all UNI fans and a large number of NDSU fans (especially the long time/more involved/knowledgeable) would say it is an intense game, heated on the field, but itís not a rivalry game. We only play NDSU in football. Itís not a rivalry game for is (UNI).

99% of people from the outside would look at UNI/Missouri State and go ďno way thatís a rivalryĒ. UNI is 33-5 against MSU, MSU hasnít won since 05, and about 1/3rd of the games of the series has been a laugher. Yet itís a rivalry for us. ďBear weekĒ rolls around and it means something. Week, it used to mean more but it turns out after winning 33 of 38 games and 12 in a row in blow our fashion the fans start to lose interest to students and upcoming generations it isnít as important, but overall itís a big thing. It also doesnít help that former UNI coach, Terry Allen, is no longer the HC at MSU.

The MVFC is weird in that way. Itís a only football conference made up of 3 conferences. The MVC teams in the MVFC will come sidered each other rivals and the Summit teams will consider Summit teams rivals and YSU is all alone and doesnít belong with us.

Side note while I said Iowa and UNI is t a rivalry that is the one game I want to win. Period. I want to beat Iowa. Couldnít care less about ever winning a natty if we beat Iowa.

I like the idea and maybe itís something the wedge member can spitball behind the scenes to creat something.

Didn't your non involved fans storm the field at the garage when UNI beat us a couple years back. Your whole season is defined by whether or not you beat NDSU, don't kid yourself.
    Any unauthorized use of the intellectual property of POD Knows without the express written consent of POD Knows will be met with the swift hand of justice as determined by POD Knows

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Itís not.

Weíve also been on the field after SIU games. Big deal.

In general our fans arenít all that bright in these situations.

Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

Master FCS Advocate VandalBasher's Avatar

If we beat EWU and Montana this season, all will be forgiven. I assure you, there will be rushing of the field after getting that monkey off our backs.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by centennial View Post
    We have no real rivalry. The truth is whoever can beat us twice in four years. Otherwise we don't care. We especially don't care about the UNDies.

I agree with this but UND is still the "natural" rival and probably always will be.

SDSU is a "manufactured" rival. They didn't do squat in D2 or basically throughout the history of the 2 programs except their run from 09 on.

UNI isn't a rival either. It is fun to beat their asses but football and now wrestling again are the only sports that will consistently play each other.

But make no mistake, in football, everyone is gunning for the Bison and it doesn't matter what anyone from the other Valley teams say on here.....every team has the NDSU game circled.

Penn State

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    Penn State

If you are a wrestling fan....Penn State/Lehigh is a must see. I need to get to one of these someday....