Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: High Espectations For These FCS Teams

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    He based the list off of every 2017 playoff team.

Nicholls ranked so high? Who did they beat in 2017? Oh I forgot it was the close losses, they must count as almost wins in Hero's eyes? How about the close wins against McNeese and HBU? Do they count as almost losses?

Class of 1994
    Eat’em Up Kats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    It is fair to ask that question, and I am biased, of course, but I will try to answer. In Elon's case, Riddle's senior year(6-5) was a stepdown from the previous high watermarks. Sure hope this isn't the case for Devlin this year. As for having 4 straight years of losing afterwards, like Elon, I seriously doubt it. Samford has far too much talent and fertile recruiting grounds for that. Also, Samford couldn't be considered soft late this past season, winning their last 3 SoCon games. A Devlin Hodges doesn't come along very often, and he will be missed, but NO, there will be no scenario equivalent to the Elon plunge.
    I do not think there is an easy answer. From my years watching football (especially SoCon football), it is hard to replace good QBs. Especially good QBs who are probably the best player your program ever had.

Realistically, the next guy up is a good player (a D-1 QB), but he may throw balls that are not quite on target, maybe not quite as much zip, and not quite as accurate as Hodges did. Just from watching Furman play at Samford this year, the Bulldogs relied on Hodges to make a number of throws in that game Samford had no business completing. Does the next man up make those same throws to preserve a six point win? Samford has not been blowing teams off the field - they are winning gutty games based in no small part on their QB play.

One thing I find incredibly interesting is that Samford does not let any QB other than Hodges take snaps. Last season, Samford threw the ball 531 times, and all but three of those passes were by Hodges. Two were by wide receivers (the other by "team" - maybe a fumbled FG snap?). None was by a QB. In fact, I think you have to go back to October 2016 to find the last time a QB not named Devlin Hodges threw a pass for Samford.

The only justification for that I can come up with is Chris Hatcher wants Hodges to break records. If 2017 is any indication, Samford could go two years without another QB taking a live snap. I just cannot see how that is a good idea.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Former Georgia All-State QB Liam Welch is the heir apparent to Hodges. Welch was red-shirted last season, thus you didn't see a back-up. I think you will see Welch at least in some mop up action this season. At any rate, Samford will NOT have the fallout that Elon did. I imagine that losing Coach Pete Lembo was also a factor for Elon's struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy94 View Post
    Nicholls ranked so high? Who did they beat in 2017? Oh I forgot it was the close losses, they must count as almost wins in Hero's eyes? How about the close wins against McNeese and HBU? Do they count as almost losses?
    You didn't read the intro/premise of the article, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Former Georgia All-State QB Liam Welch is the heir apparent to Hodges. Welch was red-shirted last season, thus you didn't see a back-up. I think you will see Welch at least in some mop up action this season. At any rate, Samford will NOT have the fallout that Elon did. I imagine that losing Coach Pete Lembo was also a factor for Elon's struggles.
    I think the failure to put a backup in the game is a clear decision by Hatcher to let Hodges take every snap he can. There were several games (UGA, the Citadel, VMI, ETSU) where mop up duty would have been warranted to protect a star player. The fact that not a single QB took a snap last season is a calculated decision by the coaching staff; I doubt it has much to do with the backup's status.

Again, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen. Welch I am sure will be a good player, though GHSA Class A schools are not necessarily known for producing top flight QBs. Running backs, yes. Defensive players, yes. Passing QBs, not as much.

At bottom, they go into next season with a completely unproven commodity at QB in an offense that throws it 500+ times a season. That's not everything. It is also not nothing.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

It's still NDSU to lose. They will be the front runner. Everyone else is playing for Number 2

First Class FCS Advocate WeAreThePride's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    It's still NDSU to lose. They will be the front runner. Everyone else is playing for Number 2
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 View Post
    Hard to believe Nova isn’t mentioned before Delaware. Cats have their top offensive players returning from injury. QB, RB, TE, WR all back & all were starters. Throw in preseason CAA DPOY coming back on defense.

Its hard to fathom with what is returning for Nova that Delaware has the edge.
    Delaware has Mr. Chicken. Villanova has no one who can match him. Go Hens!

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy94 View Post
    This list is pretty arbitrary as to where he put teams. It’s based off of what teams he’s most confident will “reach their expectations” allowing a moving scale from team to team to be able to justify having teams like San Diego ranked highly for once and get people wound up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Major FCS Advocate Killamike259's Avatar

People sleeping on APSU? I see us as a 25-30 type team to start the year possibly higher if our offense shows up this year and we actually beat JSU. Can we win a playoff game? Probably not but the fact that we even stand a chance to make the Playoffs is a crazy thought considering where we were as a program just a few years prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk