Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: High Espectations For These FCS Teams

Part of me is still frustrated how last year ended. So much talent undercut by a poaching of our coach before the first playoff game. Reading the players comments on Twitter and speaking with them you can clearly see the frustration they felt. But I guess it's part of the pitfalls of being FCS. But onto next year as they say. I think we will do better than most expect as we've come in second in conference nearly every year minus a couple of exceptions. But there is so much we need to retool if wouldn't surprise me if we had a rebuild year. Those come around every 5 or 6 years. No biggie.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because its trust in not in the branch, but in its own wings. ~Anonymous

Excellent points vandal. It is just one big sky team but one of the better offenses and they won 7 of 11, so not a bad team overall.

You’ll probably have a top 50 defense if I were to guess. Having two fbs games on the road with lead to higher than usual defensive stats though.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    Excellent points vandal. It is just one big sky team but one of the better offenses and they won 7 of 11, so not a bad team overall.

You’ll probably have a top 50 defense if I were to guess. Having two fbs games on the road with lead to higher than usual defensive stats though.
    Yes, we aren't playing SJSU and Vanderbilt. I will have to take a look at the numbers based on FCS level games to truly determine how well our team is stacking up. The game against Western New Mexico will also have to be left out unless I am looking to pad our numbers.

Go Vandals.

Quote Originally Posted by VandalBasher View Post
    Yes, we aren't playing SJSU and Vanderbilt. I will have to take a look at the numbers based on FCS level games to truly determine how well our team is stacking up. The game against Western New Mexico will also have to be left out unless I am looking to pad our numbers.

Go Vandals.
    Wait till you see the offensive dynamo that invades the Kibbie Dome on November 3rd. You're truly going to be left speechless!

We suck again!!!!

Doc

Hmm, sometimes I don’t know what to think when reading a Hero article. The group seems to put out an acceptable product most of the time. Sometimes they miss the mark with me, but where they placed most teams seems okay. Glad they recognize that anything less than a playoff appearance is failure for the Kats. Why Is Monmouth on the list though?

Quote Originally Posted by katss07 View Post
    Hmm, sometimes I don’t know what to think when reading a Hero article. The group seems to put out an acceptable product most of the time. Sometimes they miss the mark with me, but where they placed most teams seems okay. Glad they recognize that anything less than a playoff appearance is failure for the Kats. Why Is Monmouth on the list though?
    He based the list off of every 2017 playoff team.

Samford's an interesting case.

In 2017, with perhaps the best team perhaps they've ever had, the Bulldogs were still were bounced in the first round (by a team they had already beaten). With a senior QB looking to set NCAA passing records in 2018, I can imagine the expectations are sky high.

With Samford, I am still interested to see if they suffer from Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. The current Samford team reminds me a lot of the Elon team from 10 years ago. Both were mediocre SoCon teams before riding a transcendent long-term starter at QB running virtually identical offenses. Both teams elevated themselves to playoff contender, but developed a reputation of being soft late in the season and the post season. Elon fell off a cliff after Riddle graduated. Hopefully Samford has a better go of it.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by F'N Hawks View Post
    Wait till you see the offensive dynamo that invades the Kibbie Dome on November 3rd. You're truly going to be left speechless!
    http://govandals.com/boxscore.aspx?id=998&path=football

It should be a fun game. I hope the UND fans can make it out to the Kibbie Dome. Everyone forgets about outdoor games on the Palouse in November.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Samford's an interesting case.

In 2017, with perhaps the best team perhaps they've ever had, the Bulldogs were still were bounced in the first round (by a team they had already beaten). With a senior QB looking to set NCAA passing records in 2018, I can imagine the expectations are sky high.

With Samford, I am still interested to see if they suffer from Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. The current Samford team reminds me a lot of the Elon team from 10 years ago. Both were mediocre SoCon teams before riding a transcendent long-term starter at QB running virtually identical offenses. Both teams elevated themselves to playoff contender, but developed a reputation of being soft late in the season and the post season. Elon fell off a cliff after Riddle graduated. Hopefully Samford has a better go of it.
    It is fair to ask that question, and I am biased, of course, but I will try to answer. In Elon's case, Riddle's senior year(6-5) was a stepdown from the previous high watermarks. Sure hope this isn't the case for Devlin this year. As for having 4 straight years of losing afterwards, like Elon, I seriously doubt it. Samford has far too much talent and fertile recruiting grounds for that. Also, Samford couldn't be considered soft late this past season, winning their last 3 SoCon games. A Devlin Hodges doesn't come along very often, and he will be missed, but NO, there will be no scenario equivalent to the Elon plunge.