Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: I'm Not a Decembrist, Honest!

Hang in there. Keep fighting the good fight.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

AGS FCS Champion

Keep fighting DCD. Prayers up.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because its trust in not in the branch, but in its own wings. ~Anonymous

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derby City Duke View Post
    Even though I didn't join AGS as a member until last December, I had been reading it for about 6-7 months and had an understanding of what a 'Decembrist' was. I mostly have posted in the FCS board, though I've stuck a note or two into the lounge. In my initial post I announced my intent to NOT be a Decembrist, but that 'the doctors might have something to say' about it. I've been mostly absent since the end of February because...

...the docs have spoken: In my mid-50s I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer that includes an extra special small cell version...inoperable and my care plan is manage/control/palliative, not curative.

This has all come to light over the past 8 weeks and I am halfway through six 3-day sessions of chemo in order to try to control/manage this crap. I get two weeks between each round of chemo to recover. Last weekend I had a seizure-type episode and spent a few days in the hospital finding out my heart and brain are fine and there was no sepsis either (the fact there was a brain detected will come as a surprise to some). Next week I will get a new set of CT and full-body bone scans to see where we stand, then back to chemo the following week.

I've made it to Senior Prom with my students; graduation is the next milestone, in 31 days. Hope to make it to Bridgeforth for a regular season and playoff game this year, mostly because that will mean I'm still kicking.

I plan to be as active as I can for as long as I can, but I really have no real appreciation for how events will develop and play out.

I enjoy reading the banter (mostly good-natured) and have worked hard to be fair and objective in my comments -- I will continue to do so as I can. If the docs are 100% right, I will make sure somebody comes on to post a farewell. I only have one request - to not be remembered as a Decembrist.

I'm not sure if this is where this thread actually belongs, so if it gets moved, that's fine.

I'm glad I joined the AGS community! #ArmyStrong, kicking cancer's butt 1 day at a time.
    That's pretty powerful stuff. God Bless you for posting that. It helps the rest of us put our daily travails in perspective.

I wish I had the appropriate words. But, I know I don't. Based on your post, you've got an awfully well grounded perspective and a great outlook. There's a strength in what you write that comes through loud and clear. Never give up.

If you haven't considered it, take a look at LiveSTRONG.org. They've got a totally free Patient Navigation program and they're dialed in with who's offering clinical trials and other research related treatment that might not be offered in a local care plan.

They've also got a ton of other helpful information and programs they can recommend that are helpful for patients and their care givers.

No worries on being a Decemberist. A real Decemberist doesn't realize that's what they are.

It's kinda like mental illness. If you're worried that you're possibly mentally ill (or a Decemberist) you're more than likely NOT one Based on the strength in your post, I would humbly suggest that you consider a name change to NAD....(Not A Decemberist)

It works on a couple of levels!

We're pulling for you!

Best of luck to you. I have no doubt that there will be many in the AGS community who'll be praying, pulling and following your treatment closely.

I'm involved in a bicycling cancer-fighting charity. I generally ride in honor of cancer patients. I can see I'll be riding in a James Madison jersey for a portion of the ride this year.

Riding in Purple and Gold is difficult for me. It makes people think I'm an LSU fan!
    - Former Poke Center

Proud Participant in The 24 Hours of Booty bicycle ride to raise money for the war on cancer, July 24-25, 7 pm to 7 pm, at Queens University and Myers Park Traditional School, Charlotte, NC. All monies raised go to toward LiveSTRONG and a variety of cancer fighting initiatives devoted to early detection, survivorship and research. All donations are tax deductible.

To contribute, go to:

https://events.24foundation.org/fundraise?fcid=889656

My real name is Bisontownmocks

Damn dude....sorry to hear that.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

I'm better than you...probably

Derby, that is a tough thing and as FPC said your outlook is pretty uplifting in sad arena that touches so many of us.

So much is happening so fast with the cancer stuff that I can hold out hope that technology steps in and science gives you an extension in fighting this ****ing thing.

Wish I had something better to say to you as you deserve it but the whole thing is heartbreaking to hear and I want the best for you is all I can pass on I guess.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

Keep fighting and stay strong.

Thank you for sharing your story DCD. Keep fighting, surround yourself with what makes you happy in life and letís hope the dukes provide us with some much needed distraction and happiness this fall.

Keep on fighting!!!
    Internet tough guy

Now in multiple locations to serve you better

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Derby City. I'm rooting for you.
    "An out-of-context quote to support my world view." - Some Dead Guy

Major FCS Advocate VandalBasher's Avatar

If I wasn't a Vandal, I would be rooting for your Dukes. May your path be take you to fantastic places.
    Last edited by VandalBasher; May 4th, 2018 at 05:43 PM.