Quote Originally Posted by Derby City Duke View Post
Even though I didn't join AGS as a member until last December, I had been reading it for about 6-7 months and had an understanding of what a 'Decembrist' was. I mostly have posted in the FCS board, though I've stuck a note or two into the lounge. In my initial post I announced my intent to NOT be a Decembrist, but that 'the doctors might have something to say' about it. I've been mostly absent since the end of February because...

...the docs have spoken: In my mid-50s I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer that includes an extra special small cell version...inoperable and my care plan is manage/control/palliative, not curative.

This has all come to light over the past 8 weeks and I am halfway through six 3-day sessions of chemo in order to try to control/manage this crap. I get two weeks between each round of chemo to recover. Last weekend I had a seizure-type episode and spent a few days in the hospital finding out my heart and brain are fine and there was no sepsis either (the fact there was a brain detected will come as a surprise to some). Next week I will get a new set of CT and full-body bone scans to see where we stand, then back to chemo the following week.

I've made it to Senior Prom with my students; graduation is the next milestone, in 31 days. Hope to make it to Bridgeforth for a regular season and playoff game this year, mostly because that will mean I'm still kicking.

I plan to be as active as I can for as long as I can, but I really have no real appreciation for how events will develop and play out.

I enjoy reading the banter (mostly good-natured) and have worked hard to be fair and objective in my comments -- I will continue to do so as I can. If the docs are 100% right, I will make sure somebody comes on to post a farewell. I only have one request - to not be remembered as a Decembrist.

I'm not sure if this is where this thread actually belongs, so if it gets moved, that's fine.

I'm glad I joined the AGS community! #ArmyStrong, kicking cancer's butt 1 day at a time.
That's pretty powerful stuff. God Bless you for posting that. It helps the rest of us put our daily travails in perspective.

I wish I had the appropriate words. But, I know I don't. Based on your post, you've got an awfully well grounded perspective and a great outlook. There's a strength in what you write that comes through loud and clear. Never give up.

If you haven't considered it, take a look at LiveSTRONG.org. They've got a totally free Patient Navigation program and they're dialed in with who's offering clinical trials and other research related treatment that might not be offered in a local care plan.

They've also got a ton of other helpful information and programs they can recommend that are helpful for patients and their care givers.

No worries on being a Decemberist. A real Decemberist doesn't realize that's what they are.

It's kinda like mental illness. If you're worried that you're possibly mentally ill (or a Decemberist) you're more than likely NOT one Based on the strength in your post, I would humbly suggest that you consider a name change to NAD....(Not A Decemberist)

It works on a couple of levels!

We're pulling for you!

Best of luck to you. I have no doubt that there will be many in the AGS community who'll be praying, pulling and following your treatment closely.

I'm involved in a bicycling cancer-fighting charity. I generally ride in honor of cancer patients. I can see I'll be riding in a James Madison jersey for a portion of the ride this year.

Riding in Purple and Gold is difficult for me. It makes people think I'm an LSU fan!