Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Ruler JacksFan40's Avatar

Re: Augustana SD discussing moving to D1, possibly joining Pioneer

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Personally, I think that if they want to keep athletics, they should just drop down to NAIA and join the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicag...tic_Conference

You want to talk about reducing the travel budget...https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zw...qU&usp=sharing
    (current CCAC members in blue, Chicago State in red)
    Travel wise it’d be good for them. But I doubt they’d be any better in NAIA honestly. They recruit at a NAIA level already, they drop there, won’t get many players to come play.

FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    Travel wise it’d be good for them. But I doubt they’d be any better in NAIA honestly. They recruit at a NAIA level already, they drop there, won’t get many players to come play.
    Idk, I think there's enough talent in the Chicago area + Milwaukee and Indiana to put together a team. Can't be much worse than the teams they've been putting on the court lately anyway. Plus, recruiting locally means that players friends and family can more easily make it to both home and away games. It looks like they do that quite a bit anyway with 10 out of their 14 players either within the "Chicagoland area" or a short train ride away. They can still offer scholarships and other aid to players, plus if a player ends up being really good, I think it's a little easier to transfer to a NCAA D1 school from an NAIA school than it is from a different NCAA D1 school...so players would have a little more flexibility in their future options.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

"Time is money; Money is power; Power is pizza; Pizza is knowledge. Let's go!"

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Gotta think they can pick up 7-10 overlooked recruits and pull a '98 Valpo or an '18 Loyola performance. (cue One Shining Moment). That's the fantasy, at least.

Doubt anyone cares about the Olympic sports.
    The thing about this year's Loyola is they weren't overlooked players.

Clayton Custer was a 4* top 20 rated PG coming out of HS with a dozen P5 offers and he spent a few years at Iowa State. Transfered to Loyola to play with his HS and AAU teammate Ben Richardson
    Ben Richardson had something like a dozen offers out of HS
    Donte Ingram had MVC offers and is from Chicago
    Marques Townes was a tranfer from out east and grew up in Jersey. Had offers from 12 D1 schools out of HS and PWO from B1G schools
    Aundre Jackson was a JUCO transfer. Probably meets the under the radar category
    Cam Krutwig had over 20 D1 offers - MVC, A10, MAC, etc. Was a 3* top 20 rated center
    Lucas Williamson - had double digit offers from the MVC to MAC to HL to A10 level. He's also from Chicago.

Loyola got hot, for sure. Maybe Porter finally figured out how to coach after over a decade of not being good at it. Loyola played best when he didn't coach - no time outs, less set plays, etc. The one thing Porter has been able to do at Loyola that has baffled many is the ability to recruit well above Loyola's level. He just hasn't been able to develop them.

In terms of ability to fund things - LUC has an endowment of over 750m, Augie 65m. Loyola produces tons of lawyers and doctors with their highly ranked law and med programs. Augie produces a "bunch" of...nurses and teachers. Loyola draws talent from the metro of Chicago and Milwaukee. Augie draws talent from an already oversaturated market that has less than 50,000 outside of Sioux Falls for a few hours in any direction. Almost none of them are even low-major D1 talent - let alone enough to make a run in the NCAA tournament.
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

First Class FCS Ruler jacksfan29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    The thing about this year's Loyola is they weren't overlooked players.

Clayton Custer was a 4* top 20 rated PG coming out of HS with a dozen P5 offers and he spent a few years at Iowa State. Transfered to Loyola to play with his HS and AAU teammate Ben Richardson
    Ben Richardson had something like a dozen offers out of HS
    Donte Ingram had MVC offers and is from Chicago
    Marques Townes was a tranfer from out east and grew up in Jersey. Had offers from 12 D1 schools out of HS and PWO from B1G schools
    Aundre Jackson was a JUCO transfer. Probably meets the under the radar category
    Cam Krutwig had over 20 D1 offers - MVC, A10, MAC, etc. Was a 3* top 20 rated center
    Lucas Williamson - had double digit offers from the MVC to MAC to HL to A10 level. He's also from Chicago.

Loyola got hot, for sure. Maybe Porter finally figured out how to coach after over a decade of not being good at it. Loyola played best when he didn't coach - no time outs, less set plays, etc. The one thing Porter has been able to do at Loyola that has baffled many is the ability to recruit well above Loyola's level. He just hasn't been able to develop them.

In terms of ability to fund things - LUC has an endowment of over 750m, Augie 65m. Loyola produces tons of lawyers and doctors with their highly ranked law and med programs. Augie produces a "bunch" of...nurses and teachers. Loyola draws talent from the metro of Chicago and Milwaukee. Augie draws talent from an already oversaturated market that has less than 50,000 outside of Sioux Falls for a few hours in any direction. Almost none of them are even low-major D1 talent - let alone enough to make a run in the NCAA tournament.
    When I read comments from Augustana moving up supporters saying that Augie could be the next Creighton or Loyola I have to laugh. It proves that the bubble in Sioux Falls is in place. Augustana has ZERO in common with either of those two schools or metro areas.

Major FCS Advocate doolittledog's Avatar

The D3 Augustana in the Quad Cities has a larger enrollment, a bigger endowment, higher annual giving, and is located in a more populated metro area than the D2 Augustana in Sioux Falls. Maybe the wrong Augustana is considering a move

I made that exact same statement over on the South Dakota board.

Pride of the Western Plain

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doolittledog View Post
    The D3 Augustana in the Quad Cities has a larger enrollment, a bigger endowment, higher annual giving, and is located in a more populated metro area than the D2 Augustana in Sioux Falls. Maybe the wrong Augustana is considering a move
    The issue with that is since they're D-III, they need to transition to D-II first (six years) and THEN transition to D-I (another six). As a result, you have Chicago State clinging to D-I when they have no business being D-I, and schools like Augustana College, Wisconsin-Whitewater and others who are ludicrously below D-I when everything about their school screams D-I. As people know on here, state politics enter into it as well, but the NCAA also does its part in keeping everything frozen in 1983.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    The issue with that is since they're D-III, they need to transition to D-II first (six years) and THEN transition to D-I (another six). As a result, you have Chicago State clinging to D-I when they have no business being D-I, and schools like Augustana College, Wisconsin-Whitewater and others who are ludicrously below D-I when everything about their school screams D-I. As people know on here, state politics enter into it as well, but the NCAA also does its part in keeping everything frozen in 1983.
    Just to be clear, Augustana (either one) isn't really a DI material. Hell, at this point I'm not sure we are. Chicago State definitely shouldn't be either.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

"Time is money; Money is power; Power is pizza; Pizza is knowledge. Let's go!"

This was on Twitter this morning. My take is: he cares about basketball, not about football. The best that they could hope for is Pioneer. The worst is to drop football.

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

First Class FCS Ruler JacksFan40's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    This was on Twitter this morning. My take is: he cares about basketball, not about football. The best that they could hope for is Pioneer. The worst is to drop football.

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter
    With the money they put into that stadium, I'd think they'd at least play Pioneer. I think they'd be decent in the PFL. Winning that baseball title is going to help their case immensely now.