Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ESPN+

Re: ESPN+

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    It's happening now, ESPN is starting to switch programming from ESPN3 to ESPN+ effective this weekend.....

copied from the VMI athletic web site......
    That answers my question about the SoCon tie-in. I guess the SoCon Digital is practically dead now.(?) It had some flaws, but I wish it was still carrying more games. I will just have to sign up and pay the $5. Already some conference baseball games I want to see have been exported to the + so I guess they can switch the football games there at will. Not happy about this, but....oh well.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Unknown yet.

From what I gather a - at least from the MvFC perspective - is that espn produced games (which we have) and home market games will be espn3/WatchESPN. Games outside of your home market or school produced (which we have) will be plus.

How that works come playoffs? Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any ideas on if youíll be able to watch games shown on ESPN TV channels without the TV subscription on plus?

I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Any ideas on if you’ll be able to watch games shown on ESPN TV channels without the TV subscription on plus?
    "It will not include access to the full ESPN linear channels, as they will only be available through "traditional or non-traditional" television providers. ESPN's major professional sports rights, including MLB, National Basketball Association, and National Football League coverage, are not included in the service."

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ79 View Post
    "It will not include access to the full ESPN linear channels, as they will only be available through "traditional or non-traditional" television providers. ESPN's major professional sports rights, including MLB, National Basketball Association, and National Football League coverage, are not included in the service."
    Welp looks like Iíll switch my plan for the semi finals and championship game.

I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion

FRISCO, Texas – Three Southland Conference events are scheduled to run on ESPN+ this week, marking the debut of conference programming on the new streaming service. Central Arkansas visits Sam Houston State in baseball Friday night and Saturday afternoon, followed by the Stephen F. Austin spring football game Saturday evening.
    Looks like Southland events are part of this new subscription service.

http://southland.org/news/2018/4/16/...this-week.aspx
    He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    ---St. Francis of Assissi

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Will the folks of the FCS subcommittee now finally shop around and find a decent broadcast deal?

That's a rhetorical question, incidentally

The FCS lost their opportunity years ago to shop around, had they done so we'll never know if NBC or FOX regional sports stations would be televising the FCS playoffs today, with semi's and finals on NBCSN or FS1

Now the FCS Playoffs are permanently stuck on a paid stream that few households will get
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

I doubt nbcsn is interested in FCS. They had deals with the caa that they walked away from. They have a deal with the ivy which seems to get less coverage over time. Almost all the games are forced into Friday nights. On Saturdays, they air EPL soccer.
    They donít even seem to air any fbs games anymore.

Given some background on the ad industry, my guess is that advertisers are given FCS and mid/ low major BB game slots at NO cost for doing business on other games/ content. I've seen this on certain TV broadcast/ content companies for their lesser stations (e.g. you buy on FOX and you get FOX Business spots for free). Thus, ESPN is only hemorrhaging money be producing the product. By charging people for content where they make no money, even if they lose lets say 90% of viewers, would still be a net positive for them and they can show advertisers their # of subscribers to squeeze out a few dollars as well. The internet pay walls are getting more frequent so I would start budgeting for them during FB season and beyond...
    #2 James Madison University (14-1) vs. All 2018 challengers!

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMUNJ08 View Post
    Given some background on the ad industry, my guess is that advertisers are given FCS and mid/ low major BB game slots at NO cost for doing business on other games/ content. I've seen this on certain TV broadcast/ content companies for their lesser stations (e.g. you buy on FOX and you get FOX Business spots for free). Thus, ESPN is only hemorrhaging money be producing the product. By charging people for content where they make no money, even if they lose lets say 90% of viewers, would still be a net positive for them and they can show advertisers their # of subscribers to squeeze out a few dollars as well. The internet pay walls are getting more frequent so I would start budgeting for them during FB season and beyond...
    If they lose 90% of their viewers, schools will look at their own bottom lines and say, "why am I paying anything to reach like two households on ESPN+" and then probably will revert to broadcasting off of Facebook or their own websites, which is cheaper and they keep any proceeds. And it's the schools that are producing the games in-house anyway -ESPN3's only value add is in distribution, which will (by your own admission) probably crater.

This wouldn't be a problem for schools to switch to in-house distribution, but ESPN carries all the broadcast rights to the playoffs. So it is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    CAA has a NBCSports contract I believe.

CAA needs to move their content to ESPN3/+