Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN+

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    Western Carolina

ESPN+

If you watch your favorite FCS team on ESPN3, get ready to start paying for that privilege sometime next year as ESPN rolls out it's new streaming service on April 12, ESPN+.

This new service will have an initial cost of $4.99 per month.

As far as live events go, here’s what the service has:

• One MLB game every day during baseball season.
    • One NHL game every day during hockey season.
    • A “selection of exclusive main event” boxing fights, and more undercard fights.
    • Every out-of-market MLS game (subject to blackouts) and local-market Chicago Fire games.
    • College sports from these conferences: “America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC, and many more.”
    • PGA Tour coverage including Thursday, Friday, and “some” Saturday and Sunday play.
    • Grand Slam tennis coverage that’s billed as a “complement” for tennis fans.
    • Rugby and cricket coverage.

https://deadspin.com/espns-new-4-99-...pro-1824262409

https://www.theringer.com/sports/201...rvice-april-12
    Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CatSportsForum

"Go Cats" RIP - catamount man - Richard McClellan

My Team
    James Madison

Re: ESPN+

Honestly though, it's only $5. You're spending more for your internet access to look at this message board.

If it means I can get all games easily accessible in streaming format for my entire conference, maybe even all conferences nationwide, I won't hesitate to pay $5/month.

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    Honestly though, it's only $5. You're spending more for your internet access to look at this message board.

If it means I can get all games easily accessible in streaming format for my entire conference, maybe even all conferences nationwide, I won't hesitate to pay $5/month.
    But they are free now on ESPN3. Currently, your IPS provider pays the costs for ESPN3. Not so with ESPN+.
    Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CatSportsForum

"Go Cats" RIP - catamount man - Richard McClellan

My Team
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    But they are free now on ESPN3. Currently, your IPS provider pays the costs for ESPN3. Not so with ESPN+.
    This is specialized content that they have to get additional revenue for to pay for it. Advertisers aren't falling over themselves to cover FCS football, hence why linear TV networks are covering the level less and less with each passing year.

If this gives schools a platform to provide more video, more accessibly and with improved production quality, then I'm all for it. It really depends on what the final product looks like.

If you're paying $5/month to watch the same crappily put together video stream that a student intern makes, then yeah, it may not be worth it. We'll have to see.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post

Last season almost every MVFC game was on ESPN3, and they were archived after the games ended for replays. It was fantastic. You could spend most of Saturday watching MVFC games. The way I understand it, the MVFC offers the games to ESPN for streaming for free, just to get the exposure. If I have to pay for it, will some of that money trickle down to the MVFC or FCS schools? Over the past few years of watching NDSU games I have noticed that they have been getting more commercials during games instead of this screen saying "game is in commercial break." Would like to see the FCS teams get a share of the pie finally!

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NoVABison View Post
    Last season almost every MVFC game was on ESPN3, and they were archived after the games ended for replays. It was fantastic. You could spend most of Saturday watching MVFC games. The way I understand it, the MVFC offers the games to ESPN for streaming for free, just to get the exposure. If I have to pay for it, will some of that money trickle down to the MVFC or FCS schools? Over the past few years of watching NDSU games I have noticed that they have been getting more commercials during games instead of this screen saying "game is in commercial break." Would like to see the FCS teams get a share of the pie finally!
    The MVFC (and the SLC I believe as well) does have a TV contract with ESPN that stipulates that all conference games and some OOC games will be available on ESPN3: http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/20...-espn3-tv-deal

So I'd guess that the MVFC does get something from ESPN... although I'm sure it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Interesting move by ESPN. There viewership is down so to make up for lost revenue they are finding ways to charge more to current customers.

With how many broadcasters they have cut over the years I find it hard to believe that all of sudden ESPN will produce more games. I think it will be ESPN used as the conduit to which local TV is distributed nationally.

Lets' not forget that Disney purchased the regional Fox Sports stuff. So I would imagine the "extra" content and "more" streaming sports contained in this new ESPN+ will be the ones that FS had the rights to.

It will be interesting to see what gets cannibalized from ESPN3 and moves to the subscription service

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The MVFC (and the SLC I believe as well) does have a TV contract with ESPN that stipulates that all conference games and some OOC games will be available on ESPN3: http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/20...-espn3-tv-deal

So I'd guess that the MVFC does get something from ESPN... although I'm sure it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.
    The MVFC deal is 100% tied to the MVC’s deal with ESPN. The SL sea is its own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    The MVFC deal is 100% tied to the MVC’s deal with ESPN. The SL sea is its own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How so? Thought they were separate entities although a lot of the same people involved.

First Class FCS Ruler VandalBasher's Avatar
    My Team
    Idaho Vandals

https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeFootball/

http://pluto.tv/watch/classic-movies-channel

For Big Sky Conference games, Pluto TV and Root Sports Channel have been outstanding. Has anyone had their team live stream through Facebook?