Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Worst team to make the playoffs?

UNH any year blah blah blah
    "We're New Hampshire born and we're New Hampshire bred and when we die we'll be New Hampshire dead, so it's ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, pride of the granite state !"

Any of the 6-5 teams that have received a bid in the past few years. Monmouth last year. Any 3rd or 4th place SLC team that gets in. All Pioneer teams except for San Diego the past two years. Every MEAC team since the last time they won a I-AA playoff game in the late 90s.

Master FCS Advocate NY Crusader 2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    The D2 team across the river from Fargo would have beaten Monmouth and probably the D3 team that was very good in Moorhead also. Oh ya, UNI took their foot off the pedal also.
    Sure, a top D2 might have had a shot to beat a fringe FCS playoff team -- that's nothing new. Just like most of the FCS playoff field would hold their own against FBS teams playing in lower-tier bowl games.

But Monmouth was not a historically bad playoff team IMO, and definitely not the worst in last year's field. Monmouth would have KILLED Central Connecticut State head to head. They were ranked higher than playoff participant Nicholls and top-15 Grambling according to Sagarin. Obviously, they were head and shoulders better than 5-6 Lehigh, who may be the real answer to this trivia question.

It's not like Monmouth is the first team ever to get absolutely obliterated by a Valley team on the road in the first round.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    Sure, a top D2 might have had a shot to beat a fringe FCS playoff team -- that's nothing new. Just like most of the FCS playoff field would hold their own against FBS teams playing in lower-tier bowl games.

But Monmouth was not a historically bad playoff team IMO, and definitely not the worst in last year's field. Monmouth would have KILLED Central Connecticut State head to head. They were ranked higher than playoff participant Nicholls and top-15 Grambling according to Sagarin. Obviously, they were head and shoulders better than 5-6 Lehigh, who may be the real answer to this trivia question.

It's not like Monmouth is the first team ever to get absolutely obliterated by a Valley team on the road in the first round.
    That was a laughably bad Monmouth team. Iíve seen plenty of teams get dicked in the UNIDome that didnít belong on the same field as UNI. That was up there with the 09 ST Francis team, the winless Indiana State teams, the Drake teams, etc.

Iíll nominate the 2013 McNeese State team that somehow was a 6 seed but got beat 46-6 by 5-6 UNI - who pulled starters at half.

Also 2010 UNI. That was was horrendous and finished with like 2 conference wins in any seasons not numbered 2010

In no particular order:

1) Lafayette 2006 (6-5) -- to give them some credit, I seem to remember they at least had a pulse against eventual runner-up UMASS in the first round.
    2) Lafayette 2013 (5-6) -- IIRC, they managed to somehow draw Fordham, Colgate and Lehigh when their QB's were hurt that week. UNH just scored again...
    3) Every PFL rep excluding San Diego the past two years
    4) Morgan State 2014 (7-5) -- lost to a dumpster fire Holy Cross team, coached by Crusader alum Lee Hull
    5) Wagner & Colgate 2013 -- up there for worst pillow-fight in FCS playoff history

Say what? Neither club was that bad. Colgate was hurt by its own administration by not making any effort to bid on a home playoff game. Wagner played very well and deserved the victory. They also played well in the round of 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    [/B]
    Say what? Neither club was that bad. Colgate was hurt by its own administration by not making any effort to bid on a home playoff game. Wagner played very well and deserved the victory. They also played well in the round of 16.
    Perhaps I am biased because of the fact that Wagner should have lost to, and just barely beat a poor, Holy Cross team. You guys beat us 51-35 that season in a game that was close until about a minute left in the third quarter.

And I got the year wrong. It was 2012.

As one who watched both games, I vote for Jax State 2016 and 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 AGS Playoff Survivor Pool Champion

Perhaps I am biased because of the fact that Wagner should have lost to, and just barely beat a poor, Holy Cross team. You guys beat us 51-35 that season in a game that was close until about a minute left in the third quarter.

That was Dick Biddle's last Patriot League Championship. The defense had a lot of injuries and we had to outscore everybody.

AGS FCS Champion

Lehigh still deserved an at-large bid in 2012. Their OOC wasn't great (Liberty being only "OK" really hurt) but they went 10-1 and had beaten the MVFC and CAA champs in the playoffs the previous two years. The 2012 team still had Spadola/Kurfis at WR (2 1st team All-Americans), Barkett/Sherman RB combo and a pretty darn good defense. I just find it absurd that they had to go undefeated to make the playoffs. Colgate was the first PL team to beat them in 3 years! Eventually the law of averages kick in and you lose! Just a ridiculous standard imo for a team that spent most of the year ranked in the Top 10 and firmly had the bulls-eye on their back for 2+ years.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Lehigh still deserved an at-large bid in 2012. Their OOC wasn't great (Liberty being only "OK" really hurt) but they went 10-1 and had beaten the MVFC and CAA champs in the playoffs the previous two years. The 2012 team still had Spadola/Kurfis at WR (2 1st team All-Americans), Barkett/Sherman RB combo and a pretty darn good defense. I just find it absurd that they had to go undefeated to make the playoffs. Colgate was the first PL team to beat them in 3 years! Eventually the law of averages kick in and you lose! Just a ridiculous standard imo for a team that spent most of the year ranked in the Top 10 and firmly had the bulls-eye on their back for 2+ years.
    I don't disagree with you. That team should have been in. I actually went to the HC-Lehigh game that year, which was an exhilarating finish. Long bomb ti Spadola to go ahead and win the game with about a minute left after HC had led by 2 scores going into the 4th. While the 2012 squad probably wasn't as good as the 2010-2011 editions, the body of work deserved a bid. The "best" team doesn't always win the conference, especially in a league like the PL, due to their only being 6 conference games. One loss to the wrong team is all it takes to cost you the title. Just like Lehigh in 2012, Colgate was that team this year. Would have been a much stronger rep for the PL going into the playoffs than 5-6 Lehigh with no defense. BUT Lehigh won the ONE game that ultimately mattered and got the bid.