Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst team to make the playoffs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Worst team to make the playoffs?

Since I started all these threads technically with the Best team in history, I feel like making another one. Obviously we have the Worst champion thread, but this one is about the worst team to have just made the playoffs. I’d say Lehigh’s 5-6 team last year was pretty bad.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Worst team to make the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    Since I started all these threads technically with the Best team in history, I feel like making another one. Obviously we have the Worst champion thread, but this one is about the worst team to have just made the playoffs. I’d say Lehigh’s 5-6 team last year was pretty bad.

Watching Monmouth at UNI in the playoffs last year was interesting. Monmouth was crap and should not have been in.

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    Watching Monmouth at UNI in the playoffs last year was interesting. Monmouth was crap and should not have been in.
    MAYBE true that they shouldn't have been in but I wouldn't put them among the worst playoff teams ever. Give UNI some credit -- playing in the dome not an easy task. Maybe chalk up the blowout to Monmouth experiencing some stage fright.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    MAYBE true that they shouldn't have been in but I wouldn't put them among the worst playoff teams ever. Give UNI some credit -- playing in the dome not an easy task. Maybe chalk up the blowout to Monmouth experiencing some stage fright.

The D2 team across the river from Fargo would have beaten Monmouth and probably the D3 team that was very good in Moorhead also. Oh ya, UNI took their foot off the pedal also.

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    The D2 team across the river from Fargo would have beaten Monmouth and probably the D3 team that was very good in Moorhead also. Oh ya, UNI took their foot off the pedal also.
    Sure, a top D2 might have had a shot to beat a fringe FCS playoff team -- that's nothing new. Just like most of the FCS playoff field would hold their own against FBS teams playing in lower-tier bowl games.

But Monmouth was not a historically bad playoff team IMO, and definitely not the worst in last year's field. Monmouth would have KILLED Central Connecticut State head to head. They were ranked higher than playoff participant Nicholls and top-15 Grambling according to Sagarin. Obviously, they were head and shoulders better than 5-6 Lehigh, who may be the real answer to this trivia question.

It's not like Monmouth is the first team ever to get absolutely obliterated by a Valley team on the road in the first round.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

I don't think there's been a unit that has ever been part of the playoffs worse than Lehigh's defense last year. Lehigh was the unusual case of being a preseason Top 20 team, being picked to win the PL/return to the playoffs but ultimately sucked (even though certain goals were met) due to a horrific D. The Mountain Hawk offense had a 1st team All-American RB, an elite WR in Troy Pelletier, a killer #2 WR in Gatlin Casey, a top tier FCS QB in Brad Mayes and a very good OL. But, again, the defense was a complete embarrassment.

2013 Lafayette (5-6) deserves serious consideration
    2006 Lafayette (6-5) wasn't very good either

There have been some bad MEAC and PFL teams to make it.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    I don't think there's been a unit that has ever been part of the playoffs worse than Lehigh's defense last year. Lehigh was the unusual case of being a preseason Top 20 team, being picked to win the PL/return to the playoffs but ultimately sucked (even though certain goals were met) due to a horrific D. The Mountain Hawk offense had a 1st team All-American RB, an elite WR in Troy Pelletier, a killer #2 WR in Gatlin Casey, a top tier FCS QB in Brad Mayes and a very good OL. But, again, the defense was a complete embarrassment.

2013 Lafayette (5-6) deserves serious consideration
    2006 Lafayette (6-5) wasn't very good either

There have been some bad MEAC and PFL teams to make it.
    Dude, you need another hobby.

2006 Lafayette should in no way be in this conversation. They were a solid team with a few close losses to Ivy League foes. It was not a great team by any measure, but they were a tough and disciplined squad. They destroyed Lehigh that year and played a respectable game on the road against highly seeded UMASS. The 06 Pards were way better than the 13 Pards and 17 Mountain Hawks.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post

2006 Lafayette should in no way be in this conversation. They were a solid team with a few close losses to Ivy League foes. It was not a great team by any measure, but they were a tough and disciplined squad. They destroyed Lehigh that year and played a respectable game on the road against highly seeded UMASS. The 06 Pards were way better than the 13 Pards and 17 Mountain Hawks.
    That '06 Lafayette team was pretty bad. Easily ONE OF the worst playoff teams of the last 15-20 years. They suffered a 5 (4 of the losses by double digits) game losing streak during the year. Lafayette needed a 7 point win over 2-9 SHU and 1 point win over Georgetown to avoid a losing record. The Lehigh team they demolished at the end of the year pretty much survived on smoke and mirrors in Coen's first year. Holy Cross had the best overall record in the PL, 7-4, in 2006. Bucknell, Lafayette and Lehigh all finished 6-5.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Lehigh

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post

Agree they don’t belong in this discussion. Too many close games.

Both 5-6 PL champs make a strong claim for the title. There have been some very bad MEAC, OVC, Southland, PFL, and Big South teams as well.