Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potential FCS Draft Picks for 2018 NFL Draft

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Potential FCS Draft Picks for 2018 NFL Draft

South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst (and 25th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft) in his career: 100 catches, 1281 yards, 3 TDs
    South Dakota St TE Dallas Goedert (undrafted in the 1st round) in 2016 alone: 92 catches, 1293 yards, 11 TDs

I guess Baltimore really likes blocking or something.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst (and 25th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft) in his career: 100 catches, 1281 yards, 3 TDs
    South Dakota St TE Dallas Goedert (undrafted in the 1st round) in 2016 alone: 92 catches, 1293 yards, 11 TDs

I guess Baltimore really likes blocking or something.
    there is more than just stats involved in drafting..maybe DG didn't do so well in one on one interviews, etc...

Remember when those were huge for Carson to be perfect at when being considered for the 1st round

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    there is more than just stats involved in drafting..maybe DG didn't do so well in one on one interviews, etc...

Remember when those were huge for Carson to be perfect at when being considered for the 1st round
    Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Seems more likely to me that the excuse is the old tired level of competition garbage that holds back most top FCS prospects.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Seems more likely to me that the excuse is the old tired level of competition garbage that holds back most top FCS prospects.
    It has nothing to do with that. Wentz and others have gone in round one. Goedert was considered a very late 1st or early to mid 2nd round guy all along. Someone will take him in round 2. He got hurt in Mobile and never ran the 40. Hurst had a lot of catches and yards just like Goedert did so it is not like Hurst is just a blocker. He is considered good at both. Goedert is a very good second round talent.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan View Post
    It has nothing to do with that. Wentz and others have gone in round one. Goedert was considered a very late 1st or early to mid 2nd round guy all along. Someone will take him in round 2. He got hurt in Mobile and never ran the 40. Hurst had a lot of catches and yards just like Goedert did so it is not like Hurst is just a blocker. He is considered good at both. Goedert is a very good second round talent.
    Except Goedert easily doubled Hurst up in catches and yards over the last 3 years. Like I pointed out a few posts ago Goedert bested Hurst's career numbers in just one season in 2016. I just found that discrepancy a bit ironic given how closely graded they apparently were. It obviously hurt Goedert that he wasn't able to work out at the combine or run the 40 at all. Who knows how close the Ravens had them graded and for all I know Hurst may turn out to be the better pro but I just don't see much reasoning for him being picked over Goedert other than he's proven to be a better blocker and played against better competition in college.

And that's plenty reason enough btw if that's what a team values most in their TEs but the contrast in their receiving numbers is certainly eye opening.

AGS FCS Champion

Well, Goedert definitely drafted into the best situation of the top 3 TEs. It'll be the Dakota connection in Philly!

My real name is Bisontownmocks
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Well, Goedert definitely drafted into the best situation of the top 3 TEs. It'll be the Dakota connection in Philly!
    Philly trading ahead of Dallas and going TE....along with Akers smack....was the savage moment for the day.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
    Philly trading ahead of Dallas and going TE....along with Akers smack....was the savage moment for the day.
    ****, the Eagles could use another linebacker, who knows. Great move by the Eagles, I think this Goedert guy is the real deal.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

P.J. Hall to the Raiders. Wow, too high for us IMHO.
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

And also, ICYMI, Darius Leonard was the first FCS player drafted, to the Colts.
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022