Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Advocate GreenGlasses's Avatar

Re: Worst FCS team to win the title?

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    We’re those three sun belt/cusa teams classified as I-A at the time? I think Arkansas state and LA tech used to be I-AA.
    Yes all 3 were IA

LA Tech reclassified in 1984 and Arkansas State in 1985. And ULL has never been classified anything but a High Major College or IA.
    I like good football anywhere....Except I don't watch any Power 5 games at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    1991 - Youngstown State 8-3
    What's with the 8-3 record?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHen View Post
    Might go with 1978 Florida A&M, simply because many of the teams that dominated the division in the early '80s were still either 1-A or D-2 and it was only a four team playoff field.
    They dominated most of their opponents, though (they also beat Miami the following year).

The 1995 Montana team might've been the worst regular-season team to win the title (9-2 with 3 non-DI wins), but they were much better in the playoffs. Other contenders for worst would be 2010 EWU, 2007 App State, 2004 JMU, 2002 WKU, 1997 Youngstown. I can't think of a clear-cut worst, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    What's with the 8-3 record?
    So the wiki page I looked at must have been wrong or that was just the regular season listed as the "overall record". 15 game season that year.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fbal...1-season-recap

They had a 12-3 record. I'll update the post.

First Class FCS Advocate GreenGlasses's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TennBison View Post
    You throw around the word dynasty pretty easily. GSU had a few good great years, then good ones going back and forth. 4 of them in 6 years and then you don't see them for another 8 to win the next 2. Ysu had 4 years in a row of going to the championship game(kind of a big deal), but did so with violations(kind of a bigger deal as it taints the rep). Marshall won two championships four years apart (no big deal). App State won three years in a row and didn't do much else besides that(some props since they were the first to win 3 in a row). Kind of hard to call any of these teams a dynasty since the new standard of the term has been reset by NDSU.
    What are you drinking in Tennessee and remind me to never drink it.

Georgia Southern National Titles 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000, Runner Ups 1988, 1998, In Playoffs 19 times
    Marshall National Titles 1992, 1996, Runners up 87, 91, 93, 95, In Playoffs 14 times, was in the polls somewhere without being knocked out of them 7 years straight (1989-96), moved up after 1996 to IA
    App State National Titles 2005, 2006, 2007, Runners Up 0, In Playoffs 20 times
    I like good football anywhere....Except I don't watch any Power 5 games at all.

2007 App State... maybe. JMU did have them on the ropes for a loss in the 1st round at their place. JMU was down 28-27 with seconds remaining, probably just 5 or 10 yards from the endzone. We easily could've settled for the game winning field goal that would have dethroned the 2-time champions at the time. Instead Mickey makes one of the worst coaching decisions of his career, gets greedy and gives a freshman RB the ball to try and run it in down their throats to add an exclamation point to the upset.

That RB then fumbles the ball away and it bounces right to an ASU defender who falls on it quickly. The game went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in literally seconds. Probably still the single most devastating JMU loss I've ever experienced. ASU going on to 3-peat only put more salt on that wound. Their players even said to the media they thought they were going to lose until they didn't.

Now the 2004 JMU team as one of the worst? We had two losses. 1 to WVU and another to WM, a semifinalist that year who we turned around and beat in their house during our 2004 playoff run. We also won every single playoff game on the road and are still the only program to have accomplished that feat. The worst? Give me a break. Not even close.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mattymc727 View Post
    1998 UMass
    That damn team was just destined to win it all. Seems everyone that played them had an off day. I think McNeese receivers dropped 3 or 4 sure TD passes against them.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

First Class FCS Advocate Little Stevie's Avatar

Montana State-1984

One of Boise State's losses in 1980 was to Cal Poly. Cal Poly won the DII National Champion that year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AmsterBison View Post
    Looks like 8 teams had 3 losses and still won.

Year TeamId
    2008 Richmond
    2005 Appalachian State
    2002 Western Kentucky
    1998 Massachusetts
    1992 Marshall
    1991 Youngstown State
    1990 Georgia Southern
    1980 Boise State

UR's 2008 squad had a average loss to UVA, then worked back up to the #1 ranking before losing to #19 Villanova on the road 26-20. Two weeks later Richmond hosted #1 JMU and lost on a last second punt return, which might have crushed any other team. Instead UR reeled off 9 straight wins to end up champs, including wins over the #10, #16, #21, #2, #4 and #5 teams.