Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Greatest FCS team that didn't win the title

Quote Originally Posted by UNHWildcat18 View Post
    UNH 2005

Definitely on the list. That offense was the epitome of Chip Kelly prime. Choked it that day against UNI
    "We're New Hampshire born and we're New Hampshire bred and when we die we'll be New Hampshire dead, so it's ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, pride of the granite state !"

AGS FCS Champion

2016 Bison

AGS FCS Master

I have only been following FCS for about 8-10 years now but I would say the following.

Montana 1996 (defending national champs and were undefeated until Marshall)
    2011 Sam Houston State (undefeated until 17-6 loss to NDSU in title game).
    2014 Illinois State (Tre Roberson and Marshawn Coprich were amazing).
    2016 NDSU (Numerous wins over top 25 FCS teams and win over #11 Iowa).
    2017 James Madison (DESTROYED FBS Eastern Carolina and SDSU and was undefeated headed into national title game. Was also the defending national champs).

Dewey

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I have only been following FCS for about 8-10 years now but I would say the following.

Montana 1996 (defending national champs and were undefeated until Marshall)
    2011 Sam Houston State (undefeated until 17-6 loss to NDSU in title game).
    2014 Illinois State (Tre Roberson and Marshawn Coprich were amazing).
    2016 NDSU (Numerous wins over top 25 FCS teams and win over #11 Iowa).
    2017 James Madison (DESTROYED FBS Eastern Carolina and SDSU and was undefeated headed into national title game. Was also the defending national champs).

Dewey

14-1 couldn't be sweeter for NDSU last year and 14-1 couldn't be more sour if you're a JMU fan last year...the exact same thing happened for SHSU in '11 also.

NDSU has a habit of giving teams that are 14-0 a really ****ty 14-1 when it comes to title games. If you're 14-0 going into the Title game...you should start worrying a lot, considering it's only happened twice in my lifetime with Marshall and NDSU.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 & '17 National Champions

First Class FCS Advocate Lion1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EKUSteve View Post
    1990 EKU team was undefeated and rolling until OB Lorenzo Fields got his leg broken against Tennessee State. Team wasn't the same after that and lost to Furman in the first round.
    Your Obstitrition broke his leg? Must have been a heck of a check up....

Quote Originally Posted by grayghost06 View Post
    2008 JMU. Obviously a homer pick but still with merit. Offense was awesome, defense was not as strong (23pts a game/ 307 yds per game) bend but don't break type.

Held the #1 ranking for 9 weeks. Beat the #1,3,5,6,7 and 12th ranked teams during the season. Lost our Superman QB in semifinal loss to Montana (27-35). Also lost 4 fumbles in that game after only losing 11 in the previous 13 games. Had a regular season victory on the road to eventual National Champ Richmond. Also defeated 3 time defending champ and #1 ranked App St. Only other loss was to I-A Duke. Really the only thing that ever stopped our offense that year was our Coach.
    this is the answer. man i wanted a rematch for the title.

also, ill throw out UR in 09. even better than the team that won in 08. We even got votes in the FBS poll a few weeks that year. our playoff game against App State is the best football game ive ever seen in person.

AGS FCS Champion

Is NDSU in 2006 or 2007 eligible???
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

IMO the 2017 JMU team was better than the 2008 JMU team. Significantly better defense and I just think Schor was a better QB than Landers. Landers was a RB who happened to play QB.

I'll say that this 2017 JMU team was more injury riddled than some of the better JMU teams of the last 15 years. 2004, 2008, 2016, 2017 years were high end seasons. In 2017, the vast majority of the injuries were on the offensive side of the ball too.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    GSU was easily the best team in 1998.

Lehigh had Umass dead to rights in the quarterfinals and let them off the hook with panicked play calling. Lehigh had 1st and goal from the UMass 8 yard line with a minute left down 27-21 and completely forgot about their stub RB on all 4 plays. I will say, Marcel Shipp was a beast for UMass.

That was Lehigh's best chance to make it to the title game. The 2011 team could have if they avoided a trip Fargo but the '98 team was just nasty. They would have beaten Northwestern State in the semi's and faced GSU for the title.
    Just for historical accuracy, we did run the ball twice on that 1st and goal series. Had a missed cutback opportunity that would of walked into endzone. Credit to UMass though.

I'm better than you...probably

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    IMO the 2017 JMU team was better than the 2008 JMU team. Significantly better defense and I just think Schor was a better QB than Landers. Landers was a RB who happened to play QB.

I'll say that this 2017 JMU team was more injury riddled than some of the better JMU teams of the last 15 years. 2004, 2008, 2016, 2017 years were high end seasons. In 2017, the vast majority of the injuries were on the offensive side of the ball too.
    Agree with you on that one. The 2008 team was good, they weren't nearly as physical as they should have been for being a great team and they got their ass pounded into the ground that night and using Landers going out as any sort of excuse doesn't work as the Griz were up like 21-10 or better when he exited the game with his injury. JMU was not able to do much with him in there at all and looked better after Dudzik came in.

JMU taught Montana a lesson about the big physical front(s) in 2004 and Montana paid that lesson back in 2008. There was just no stopping Chase Reynolds in that game either as he was just looking for collisions it seemed like.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern