Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Greatest team in FCS history

Not sure if there's another forum anywhere so....
    Who would you say had the single best season in FCS history? That 2013 NDSU team would be my pick.

Re: Greatest team in FCS history

Marshall, 1996
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Top FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    Not sure if there's another forum anywhere so....
    Who would you say had the single best season in FCS history? That 2013 NDSU team would be my pick.
    I agree, there may have been a couple teams as dominant in the 1AA era, but not since FCS was created.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Marshall 1996

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!

Marshall
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

There's one thing that separates 1996 Marshall from 2013 NDSU...NDSU did not play any team close to the 1996 Montana team that whipped an Oregon State team and won its playoff games 48-3, 44-14, and 70-7. If that Marshall team doesn't exist than that Montana team is probably considered one of the all-time greats.
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.

Holy Cross had some amazingly great teams in the 80s, but they never got to play in the playoffs, so no championships. Lehigh had at least one that was a close second to HC, but second in the conference means you're not number one in the nation. EKU, YSU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, Fruman, and App St. had some great ones. NDSU has clearly been the most dominant recently.

Holy Cross 1987.

AGS FCS Champion

Marshall 1996
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

1. 1996 Marshall. Defeated a very good Griz team that might not be appreciated as much as they should be. Had the guy who is possibly the second-best receiver to ever play the game who could take over games and a running back and QB who would also play in the NFL.

2. 2007 App State. A lot of people will criticize this team for their defense, but that SoCon that year had a ridiculous amount of fire power between Jayson Foster, Scott Riddle and Terrell Hudgins, Jerome Felton, Duran Lawson and Andre Roberts, and a solid Wofford team. The team itself had ample fire power to make up for it, though.

3. 2013 NDSU. Beat a 7-5 Kansas State team and didn't break a sweat in the playoffs. My main knock on the team is a question of the strength of the playoff field (how many years would that Towson and UNH team make it to the national championship game and semifinals?)

4. 1999 Georgia Southern. Call me a homer if you want, but this team had a ridiculous offense. Scored 41 points and 500+ yards on a top 25 IA defense. Averaged 49 points back when far fewer teams broke 30 points a game. Scored 59 points and had 600+ total yards on a Jim Tressel team. It had a ton of garbage time, too. When Greg Hill and Adrian Peterson were both 100% there weren't many college football teams at any level that could stop this team.

5. 2003 Delaware. Great on both sides of the ball and dominant. My knock on them is the questionable strength of the playoff field (one of the semi-finalists lost to Valdosta State, another one was a Patriot League team).
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.