Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: 2018-what would you consider a success?

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    Two playoff wins. Is it going to happen? No, but I'm tired of watching this program spin it's wheels as it slips backwards.

Oh, and in case it needs saying, beating Lafayette is a must.

All you need is a defense.

A deep run in the playoffs.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

going 8-3 and making it to at least the quarters again.

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

Furman won 8 games in their first year under a new regime. They had 49 freshmen on the roster and brand new systems on both offense and defense. They will return virtually the entire two deep defense and most of the offense.

I expect a big step forward in 2018 as the roster is now in year 2 of a new system. I would think that a SoCon title and an 8 win season would be a reachable goal. I do expect the SoCon to be as good as it has been in some time, so it'll be a fight to the finish.

With a really young team Furman went out and won a playoff game last year. I think they can look to make another run this season, maybe get a seed and advance into the third round.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    My Mocs Had a tough year in 2017, so the realist in me thinks 6-5 is a solid year. I also know that 7-4 in the soCon with our OOC could mean playoffs. 8-3 for sure post season. We have an FBS game at USC, so that is probably 0-1, we play Tenn Tech and UT Martin, so could be 2-0 or 1-1 in FCS OOC. Figuring 1-2 OOC, we would be 5-3 in the SoCon at 6-5 and I'd consider that a success....not a grand success, but the bottom of the barrel success. 2-1 OOC and 5-3 in SoCon is a little better and 2-1 and 6-2 gets us a bid in the playoffs....but that is an outside shot. So What would you consider a successful 2018? Be realistic.
    It's hard to say. Hopefully the defense can build upon the last 3 games. No doubt we have the personnel to be very good on that side of the ball. Hopefully our O can take a pretty big step forward. The O-line was embarrassingly bad, need some huge improvement there and everything else will fall into place nicely. But that is no guarantee.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.....another random note though, that 2013 team played ALOT of football...and by the postseason, they were probably a half step slower than they were capable of. Health will be a factor.
    I would agree with the 2013 being banged up by the title game. Marcus Williams is a prime example of that. That pick 6 he had in the 2nd round against Furman you could tell he was hurting. Also Grant Olson tearing his ACL.

This year's NDSU team lost Nate Tanguay, Nick DeLuca and Tre Dempsey when the 2013 team didn't lose any big time starters from the previous year.

Having a healthy Menard and a future stud in Cox is big.

186 days until the season opener!

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Furman played far more consistently in 2018 compared to the last several seasons.
    Furman's youth and physical maturity were exposed in late season matchups against Wofford and Samford.

Getting bigger, stronger and faster seems to be the mantra at Furman.
    From what I saw in the spring game. Furman is on its way.

2018, I think Furman gets better as the season progresses as the Dins break-in a young Din at quarterback.
    A successful 2018 Furman finishes no lower than 2nd in the SoCon. Makes it back to the playoffs. I would love to see a home playoff game in Gville… it's been a long time. Baby steps to get back to becoming a national player in FCS.

2019… lookout.

What do people expect from JMU this year? Last 2 years they have been right there with NDSU. Big dropoff?
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth

Delaware - making the playoffs, and winning a 1st round game.
    Make Delaware Football Great Again

Conference championship, top 2 seed, playoff games in the dome and a possible championship game.
    Living the Dream