Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Old FCS rivalry games that arent played anymore but should be

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    People need to stop dreaming about schools moving D1. There simply is no reason for over half the schools that are D1 currently to be D1. They don't really fit. The gulf between the haves and have nots is far too large already. Adding someone like Augie would only further make the bottom of D1 even more laughable.
    I don't want to go D1. Kato can't support D2 now- D1 would be an expensive mistake. Women's hockey is a bottomless pit and even men's hockey, which was supposed to bring in so much money, brings in nothing but more bills. However, there are people who want the move to be made, even at the cost of football. I have said many times that if MSU drops football they lose me as a donor. I go to football, basketball (men's and women's), soccer, men's and women's hockey (not often because of conflicts with basketball), baseball and softball. It is slighter further to go to Southwest, St. Cloud and Concordia than to go to Mankato.

Augustana certainly should not go D1. Tiny student population, with the state already split between USD and SDSU. But the people with money there have gotten big heads after winning the D2 men's basketball title. Rumor has it that their AD recently quit because he opposed the move.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Watch what happens now that the Vikings aren’t rolling into town for a month every year. Helping pay for facility upkeep and upgrades. Mankato no longer has hundreds of thousands (more?) being spend there in July/August every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

Master FCS Advocate NY Crusader 2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Thanks! Any idea why Sacred Heart men's hockey is in a conference and their women aren't?
    SHU women were D-I independent for the longest time while the men played in AHA. The problem the program faced is similar to the one faced by HC -- there simply wasn't an AHA-equivalent level in Division I women's hockey for the longest time. Only difference with our program is that we played as a member of Division III conference ECAC East but were not eligible for their title or conference tournament since we are a Division I school.

The closest thing to the AHA in Division I women now is the CHA with Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Syracuse, Lindenwood, RIT and Penn State. You'd think if HC and SHU had joined that there would be enough teams to play under an AHA banner. Not sure why this never happened. HC lucked out in that we got a surprising (in my opinion) invite to Hockey East for the women. Funny that all these years our women's team that played at a much lower level than our men will now be playing at THE HIGHEST level while we still pine for a Hockey East invite on the men's side.

At the moment, HC and SHU are both in a Division I conference called NEWHA along with St. Anselm (NH), Franklin Pierce (NH), St. Michael's (VT) and Post (CT). League does not have an NCAA autobid. With Holy Cross leaving for Hockey East, maybe this conference will merge with the CHA? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    Still inexplicable to me why HC did not join the ECACHL. The door was wide open for you guys.
    I would love for Holy Cross hockey to be in the ECACHL, even more so than Hockey East. Natural rivalries with Colgate and the New England Ivies there. While I was not yet a student or fan of Crusader athletics at the time, my understanding was the we were denied membership in 2004 by way of a vote. The way it was explained to me by elder HC alum was that it was between Holy Cross and Quinnipiac to take Vermont's spot in the conference once they left for Hockey East. I was told that QU was admitted by one vote over Holy Cross due to their pending plans for a new multi-purpose facility while we spun our wheels with regards to plans for a refurbished rink. I was also told that Colgate voted for Quinnipiac.

AGS FCS Champion TheValleyRaider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    I would love for Holy Cross hockey to be in the ECACHL, even more so than Hockey East. Natural rivalries with Colgate and the New England Ivies there. While I was not yet a student or fan of Crusader athletics at the time, my understanding was the we were denied membership in 2004 by way of a vote. The way it was explained to me by elder HC alum was that it was between Holy Cross and Quinnipiac to take Vermont's spot in the conference once they left for Hockey East. I was told that QU was admitted by one vote over Holy Cross due to their pending plans for a new multi-purpose facility while we spun our wheels with regards to plans for a refurbished rink. I was also told that Colgate voted for Quinnipiac.
    The rink was part of it, but from what I understand, the women's team being D-III was also a sticking point. The conference wanted to get all 12 members in for both men's and women's. QU had their women ready to go, and HC wasn't ready/didn't want to do that at the time.

It wasn't really one or the other (I believe), but both factors in combination
    7-4 (5-1)
    Patriot League Champions - 1997 1999 2002 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2017
    NCAA Playoffs - 1982 1983 1997 1998 1999 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015
    NCAA Championship Game - 2003
    1932 - Undefeated, Untied, Unscored Upon
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Quote Originally Posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
    The rink was part of it, but from what I understand, the women's team being D-III was also a sticking point. The conference wanted to get all 12 members in for both men's and women's. QU had their women ready to go, and HC wasn't ready/didn't want to do that at the time.

It wasn't really one or the other (I believe), but both factors in combination
    Such a Holy Cross move. And now of course the women just took a quantum leap to Hockey East while our men's team remains the playoff choke artist of the AHA. While being in a conference with UMass, Northeastern, BU, BC and Providence would be pretty cool, I see Holy Cross becoming the academic Merrimack in HE if we ever get our men's team invited there. I would actually love for Quinnipiac to take Notre Dame's old spot there and for us to go to the ECACHL.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    Such a Holy Cross move. And now of course the women just took a quantum leap to Hockey East while our men's team remains the playoff choke artist of the AHA. While being in a conference with UMass, Northeastern, BU, BC and Providence would be pretty cool, I see Holy Cross becoming the academic Merrimack in HE if we ever get our men's team invited there. I would actually love for Quinnipiac to take Notre Dame's old spot there and for us to go to the ECACHL.
    It's off topic but I agree, I wish that QU was in AE for sports and HE for hockey.

Hell they could stay at 11 by replacing Merrimack for QU and I'd still be happy. Would prefer that actually

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

Major FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by bostonspider View Post
    Two rivalries in VA have seemed to disappear. VMI versus both UR and W&M. These are VMI's most played rivals, 90 games versus Richmond and 88 versus the Tribe. But the Keydets haven't played W&M since 2011 nor UR since 2015. Now it likely doesn't help that they have lost 25 straight versus the Tribe and 21 of last 23 versus the Spiders. As far as I know no games are scheduled for the future as of now..
    I think the pageantry of the March on the field at VMI IS SIMPLY AWESOME!
    "The Spiders are legit"

Not a rivalry but I'd like to see those Classics played in California and NY/NJ make a come back
    You don't wanna
    go to WAR with a soldier!

Master FCS Advocate grayghost06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostonspider View Post
    Two rivalries in VA have seemed to disappear. VMI versus both UR and W&M. These are VMI's most played rivals, 90 games versus Richmond and 88 versus the Tribe. But the Keydets haven't played W&M since 2011 nor UR since 2015. Now it likely doesn't help that they have lost 25 straight versus the Tribe and 21 of last 23 versus the Spiders. As far as I know no games are scheduled for the future as of now..
    VMI will play at Virginia Tech in 2026. They have played 79 times overall, w/ most of them being on Thanksgiving day in neutral Roanoke. There was a time when these two rivals playing was THE game in Virginia. Used to be called The Military Classic of the South (way before the Citadel version) back when Tech was still known as VPI. After WWII, Tech started getting bigger and kept growing. VMI kinda stayed the same small size, eventually being relegated to I-AA in 1982. They last played VT in 1984. VMI last beat the Hokies in 1981, which is also the last time they had a winning season. Sadly, VMI has never had a winning season as a I-AA/FCS team (36 yrs). Wish it wasn't so. I have a lot of respect for those guys.