Quote Originally Posted by kperk014 View Post
ASU holds a 4-2 lead in the series but two of their wins were by one point.

Here's UNA's record against other D1 schools, many of who were already D1 when we played them. UNA is 17-5 against A&M, 13-8 against Belmont, 6-1 with 20-25 with Lipscomb, 2-0 against Florida Gulf Coast, 0-1 against Iona, 39-52 against Jax State, 0-2 with Memphis, 5-12 against Middle Tennessee, 0-4 with Ole Miss, 0-3 against Mississippi State, 0-1 against Missouri, 10-3 with Nichols State, 1-2 against Northwestern State, 1-0 against Murray State, 0-1 against New Orleans, 1-0 against Sacred Heart, Sam Houston State and Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. 8-4 against SE Louisiana, 7-17 with UT-Chattanooga, 19-22 with UT-Martin, 4-5 against Tennessee State, 1-0 against California-Riverside, 1-1 with Tennessee Tech, 0-1 against Texas Tech, 35-24 against Troy, 0-2 against Vanderbilt and 1-1 with Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The game I didn't get to put in there. UNA was good enough to give big names a good practice and following the two games with Vandy, Jones continued to play top shelf schedules and were very successful. UNA lost by 30 in their first game with Mississippi State. The next time they played the Bulldogs, Gary Elliot was at the helm. The Lions lost by 6 to Jeff Malone (a 2 time NBA All Star who played 20 years in the NBA) and the Bulldogs so the Lions were rising.

A couple of years later the Lions traveled to Lubbock, Tx and stayed with Texas Tech for about three quarters of the game before the Red Raiders went on a run and a lot of free throw shooting. Word was out a game was in the works with THE Big John Thompson, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning and the Georgetown Hoyas. The the Lions traveled to Murray, Ky and pounded the NCAA Tourney-bound Murray State Racers by 18 points. Suddenly the game with the Hoyas disappeared. Not that we would have beaten them but powerhouses like Georgetown RARELY risk a game where a loss would be devastating. UNA would never get another D1 regular season game.

Now would anybody wonder why us old timers became disinterested by the mid 90s?
Wow, reckon I know who to go to for history! Thanks for the effort and the update. Guess we will be getting D1 basketball games now. Hope we can up our game. Proud to be moving to FCS and I sure don't won't us to settle for being a one sport wonder.