Thread: YSU 2018 Recruits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

YSU 2018 Recruits

YSU added 10 more players to go with the early class of 12. Most obvious is the heavy reliance on Jucos and transfers. They add 4 more Jucos to go with earlier 3 for total of 7. However there are some projects here, the most obvious being a Juco OT at 6'8, 310 from the Ivory Coast. Totally raw. Their only Florida player is a 5'10, 170 RB. The 6 H.S. Players are a mixed bag and appears to be red shirts. The transfers, an Ohio St. TE and. Notre Dame QB don't offer major improvements . While this may be Bozos best class so far, it's only slightly better than average and I don't see them moving up the ladder much in the MVFC. Both classes reflect an attempt to address their most glaring holes -OT, QB, receivers both TE and WRs.

The cheerleader site is excited,lol. The ***** is about to hit the fan this fall when reality will be on full display. I would expect that Bozo still knows he has bad problems and so would not be surprised to see him grasp at straws to bring in more transfers and Jucos. Stay tuned, lol.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

First Class FCS Ruler Penguin Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Re: YSU 2018 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    YSU added 10 more players to go with the early class of 12. Most obvious is the heavy reliance on Jucos and transfers. They add 4 more Jucos to go with earlier 3 for total of 7. However there are some projects here, the most obvious being a Juco OT at 6'8, 310 from the Ivory Coast. Totally raw. Their only Florida player is a 5'10, 170 RB. The 6 H.S. Players are a mixed bag and appears to be red shirts. The transfers, an Ohio St. TE and. Notre Dame QB don't offer major improvements . While this may be Bozos best class so far, it's only slightly better than average and I don't see them moving up the ladder much in the MVFC. Both classes reflect an attempt to address their most glaring holes -OT, QB, receivers both TE and WRs.

The cheerleader site is excited,lol. The ***** is about to hit the fan this fall when reality will be on full display. I would expect that Bozo still knows he has bad problems and so would not be surprised to see him grasp at straws to bring in more transfers and Jucos. Stay tuned, lol.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but most YSU recruits don't have significant offers from other FCS or FBS programs....is that right?

My Team
    North Dakota State

Any with outstanding warrants?

PN -- with the exception of the transfers and Jucos, most recruits had lots of D-II offers. Rushton, for example,the Liberty QB, is to be converted to RB at 5'11, 170. He "supposedly" had an Air Force offer , but otherwise just a couple of D-IIs. Gentile from Cardinal Mooney had only a few D-IIs. It is a class heavy with D-II offers but high football "IQ", lol. Bozo keeps throwing out the BS. Only one Florida player and undersized. Hell, even NDSU had 4 Florida players. Bozos recruiting is an open admission of HS recruiting failure with a heavy reliance on transfers and Jucos and HS players mostly D-II targets. The desperation shows with the Juco project he recruited who is from the Ivory Coast and has played just a couple of years of American football. But he is 6'8, 310, lol.

He held a laughable press conference extolling all the "local" players he recruited. Problem is he included the 10 local players who are walking on, lol. We are well on our way back to the Heacock era with poor recruiting and dropping season records.

That idiot Strollo needs to hold on to the 2 weenie OOC games, because Bozo needs everyone of them annually now.
    Last edited by Paladin1aa; February 9th, 2018 at 09:14 AM.

My Team
    Youngstown State

Very solid class. The kid from Ivory Coast will be interesting to see how he pans out. Had an offer from Arizona State and was committed to UAB at one point. Farrar and Mallory are big time transfer gets at WR. Same with Hawkins at TE. Still don't know about the QB position and if VanGorder can bring anything. Mays isn't the answer and they like Craycraft but he's young so so we'll see. I think Hoak is a 4 year starter at LB once he redshirts this year barring injury from anyone else at LB. He's a smart, tough kid with good size. Henry, the DE from St. Ed's is a big project but has a great frame so with some maturing and molding, he can be a stud rusher off the edge in a few years. Had an offer from Cincinnati. More than anything, I'm interested to see how the offense changes with Monty gone and Crist in calling plays.

It started out solid in the early recruiting , and then fell off. I liked Farrar and Mallory. Yep, Hoak is a stud LB, but the latest H.S. Recruits are a drop off. The transfers And Jucos are a mixed bag with some keepers and some projects. The transfers are big question marks, but Bozo did make an effort to plug the major problems -- OT, QB, TE and WRs. His attempts over the years to recruit those positions in H.S. Are woeful. Hence he is running after transfers and Jucos at those positions. He also still has a major depth problem, making them vulnerable to injury problems, the same as last year. Abandoning Florida and staying with the left overs in Ohio, especially from the metro area, is a losing proposition. The ghost of Heacock returns.

its also an open question to not seek outside experience at OC and DC. Current staff promotions of Crist at OC probably keeps a lot of Montgomerys O while McNutt at DC keeps Bozos overall D scheme. Time will tell if this is a mistake.

My outlook hasn't changed. Overall, the lack of a QB will kill them, making them run reliant and needing a D to control the game. Not going to happen as the D also has its problem, both DBs and DL.They are a 6-5/5-6 team and injuries could make them worse, same as this past year. I don't think the MVFC pre-season pick will be very good either, but he still has a limited time for more transfers and more Jucos to help. He needs all the help he can get.
    Last edited by Paladin1aa; February 10th, 2018 at 09:16 PM.

First Class FCS Ruler Penguin Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Paladin, any thoughts about who the HC will be after this season? I thought Carl but obviously that's not happening. OJ Simpson as RB coach?

LOL ! I really haven't given it much thought, PN. Everyone thinks he's leaving. The OC and DC left as many think that was an indication of a warning of impending departure. I'm not so sure. He is a multi-millionaire, does not need money. He does need his ego stroked. To the Pros as an assistant ? Maybe. But he is just a cog in a wheel there. Head coach in D-I ? Now it gets tricky. I still think he carries baggage -- Neb. firing, bad temper, bad language, the rapist, lack of overall success at YSU, etc. that won't get him a top job. Maybe a job at a weak program. Would his ego stand that ? And more important. -- would his legacy stand it. People have to admit he got to the National Championship with Wolfs players his second year , along with a handful of his transfers and some Jucos. His recruiting efforts otherwise have been abysmal and his record erratic. This year will prove to be .500 at best and good shot at a losing record. Throw out the two annual weenie games and the FBS money game and you see basically losing or .500 FCS annual records. A smart AD would see him living off his earlier reputation while floundering at YSU. So, is he leaving ? To a top job ? Or a job at a leper program ?

LOL ! Beats the hell out of me.