Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Samford Signees.......

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Very true. It can mess up a locker room, or have no impact. To me it puts the young man in a difficult spot. Anything that gets back to the coach from the locker room, will be blamed on him. Anytime he is treated differently, it will be favoritism, makes him a silent target....that kind of stuff. Makes it hard on the kid, more than the Coach...IMO
    Could be that he wants to get into college coaching, and this is one way to get in that door.

I'm often wrong, but I just don't see how a 5'9 QB plays a lot of meaningful snaps in that offense, so it may be a non-issue. As Bear noted above, the only example of a guy that size playing QB in a non-option offense that I can remember was probably Jayson Foster under Chris Hatcher.

Foster is a unique case, though. He was a freak athlete and GSU's offense in those days was school yard stuff. Foster would take the snap, tuck the ball, and run until someone stopped him.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Foster was a good option QB. Van Gorder, the offensive genius that he was, thought that he would make a great receiver in his Midwest-style offense. In what was likely Hatcher's greatest move as a coach, he realized that GSU didn't have the line, receivers, or QB to run the Hatch Attack and just gave the ball to the best athlete on the field and let him do something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    This can be the same guy.
    Certainly can be the same guy...but NOT at the same time.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Dont know of any other offers. Its a family thing...?? maybe?? No one knows except HCCH. Its ok. We will see how it plays out...Distraction or good decision, yet to be determined.
    OK...we've just about ...so, since SU DOG has not responded otherwise, I'll 'bank that' as the Final Answer to the question of whether or not young Mr. Hatcher had any other offers. Thus, I am in the Doubters camp for now - doubting that young Mr. Hatcher at 5-9/165 (so...probably 5-8/160...or smaller) is a bona fide SoCon QB prospect.

BTW - for those interested, here's a link to his highlight video of him playing HS ball against a higher level of competition - when he was splitting time with a Soph, while a Jr. at AL 6-A Homewood HS - http://www.hudl.com/v/27eZVG - similar to his Sr. Year Bessemer Academy/AISA tape - with only 2 runs; both ended voluntarily before being hit (given that, doesn't appear to be a true dual-threat) & no rush-avoidance plays, but 7 minutes of throwing balls to slightly better covered Receivers. He does get popped after throwing on 2 occasions (1 should have been a penalty) and he goes a-flyin' when hit.

Will be interesting to watch his career develop at Samford and the impact of his presence on the Team.

Let's hope for more Russ/Jacob Huesman-Chattanooga-like and less Paul/Kye Hamilton-Elon & Brevard-like. I, honestly, don't wish that kind of mess on any Team/Fanbase or on the young Player.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    OK...we've just about ...so, since SU DOG has not responded otherwise, I'll 'bank that' as the Final Answer to the question of whether or not young Mr. Hatcher had any other offers. Thus, I am in the Doubters camp for now - doubting that young Mr. Hatcher at 5-9/165 (so...probably 5-8/160...or smaller) is a bona fide SoCon QB prospect.

BTW - for those interested, here's a link to his highlight video of him playing HS ball against a higher level of competition - when he was splitting time with a Soph, while a Jr. at AL 6-A Homewood HS - http://www.hudl.com/v/27eZVG - similar to his Sr. Year Bessemer Academy/AISA tape - with only 2 runs; both ended voluntarily before being hit (given that, doesn't appear to be a true dual-threat) & no rush-avoidance plays, but 7 minutes of throwing balls to slightly better covered Receivers. He does get popped after throwing on 2 occasions (1 should have been a penalty) and he goes a-flyin' when hit.

Will be interesting to watch his career develop at Samford and the impact of his presence on the Team.

Let's hope for more Russ/Jacob Huesman-Chattanooga-like and less Paul/Kye Hamilton-Elon & Brevard-like. I, honestly, don't wish that kind of mess on any Team/Fanbase or on the young Player.
    Kind of a unique video. Nearly every pass is a sprint out, which makes sense given a shorter QB. Besides that, most of the completed passes seem to be one of two varieties - a five yard crossing route to the TE or a wheel route down the sideline to the split end.

Curiously, Hamp Sisson, a Furman QB commit, is listed by 247 as 108th best player in Alabama and a "pro style" QB. Sisson is one of the more polished QB recruits I've seen commit to Furman in a long time, and is very mobile. I really have no idea how a guy gets the designation of "dual threat" or "pro style" as the designation seems borderline random.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Jacob had his doubters early on too. As a HC, if you make that decision to play your son, you better be right....and really leave no doubt. Even if he is slightly better, people will always say it's favoritism.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

Jacob had his doubters early on too. As a HC, if you make that decision to play your son, you better be right....and really leave no doubt. Even if he is slightly better, people will always say it's favoritism.
    Yes - I imagine that Huesman vs. Terrell Robinson decision could have had huge negative locker room and, thus, recruiting ramifications if it had not been quite so clearly the correct decision fairly early on in young Mr. Huesman's tenure as the starting QB for the Mocs. Probably helped some that Coach Huesman was well-known as a DC and Defensive guy and, though he was obviously the final arbiter, some of the 'blame' for the decision I would imagine was, at least initially, dispersed to OC & QB Coach (Marcus) Satterfield, who had just spent 3 seasons tutoring a record-setting QB that was drafted by the NFL.

Should young Mr. Hatcher ever start a game for the Bulldogs, no one will have any doubt regarding the decision-maker behind that decision. If that happens, I hope it's the wily, heavily experienced, passing game expert, former record-setting gunslinging QB, now long-term (relatively) successful Head Coach who has made the decision and not one of those crazy QB Parents whose kid has never made a bad play.

Yes - I imagine that Huesman vs. Terrell Robinson decision could have had huge negative locker room and, thus, recruiting ramifications if it had not been quite so clearly the correct decision fairly early on in young Mr. Huesman's tenure as the starting QB for the Mocs. Probably helped some that Coach Huesman was well-known as a DC and Defensive guy and, though he was obviously the final arbiter, some of the 'blame' for the decision I would imagine was, at least initially, dispersed to OC & QB Coach (Marcus) Satterfield, who had just spent 3 seasons tutoring a record-setting QB that was drafted by the NFL.

Should young Mr. Hatcher ever start a game for the Bulldogs, no one will have any doubt regarding the decision-maker behind that decision. If that happens, I hope it's the wily, heavily experienced, passing game expert, former record-setting gunslinging QB, now long-term (relatively) successful Head Coach who has made the decision and not one of those crazy QB Parents whose kid has never made a bad play.

I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

UTC's coaching staff did every other team a great service by taking a long time to figure out that Huesman at QB and Robinson at WR was the best combination on offense for the Mocs.
    FU all the time.

True - but NOT at the same time.