Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Samford Signees.......

To go back over some questions in this thread, (if anybody really gives a rat's rear).

My source for Hatcher being #51 player in the state comes from the bios of signees listed on the official site yesterday. You may email the SID if further info is needed.
    Bessemer Academy - We have one other player on our roster from BA. Mike Williams, 6-5, 277 was a 2**OL coming out in the 2016 class. He was a RS who was good enough this past season to start and to make the SoCon All-Freshman Team.
    Hodges and back-up - Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that our #2 guy was redshirted this past season. Georgia All-Stater Liam Welch will be VERY well known around the SoCon after Hodges is gone - believe it.

Now back to, hopefully, better topics of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    To go back over some questions in this thread, (if anybody really gives a rat's rear).

My source for Hatcher being #51 player in the state comes from the bios of signees listed on the official site yesterday. You may email the SID if further info is needed.
    Bessemer Academy - We have one other player on our roster from BA. Mike Williams, 6-5, 277 was a 2**OL coming out in the 2016 class. He was a RS who was good enough this past season to start and to make the SoCon All-Freshman Team.
    Hodges and back-up - Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that our #2 guy was redshirted this past season. Georgia All-Stater Liam Welch will be VERY well known around the SoCon after Hodges is gone - believe it.

Now back to, hopefully, better topics of discussion.
    Thanks - Good info - but...

A) you didn't respond to my 'other offers' question. No worries, of course, if you don't know. Just a-wonderin'

2) What better topics of discussion are there than Samford's Signees? I mean it CLEARLY deserved its own thread while the rest of the SoCon's lowly Signees were relegated to being posted in a SoCon 'Community' thread.

C) Yeah - Welch was a 2-Star also and ranked as the 104th Pro-Style QB in the country by 247 (Samford's roster says 58th - I do wonder about the source - doubtful I'll call and ask though), 200th overall in GA, 8th best Pro-Style in GA. Welch also had offers from Mercer (before Riley, who was ranked 7th, Committed) & Liberty. The guys around him signed with Oklahoma, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas St, and Texas A&M
    Last edited by FUBeAR; February 8th, 2018 at 05:31 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

In case you were wondering, here's what an AISA defense looks like.

FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Welp...for example...here are the offers for a 247 2-Star prospect who was ranked 93rd in the Nation as a "Pro Style" QB (exactly the same as young Mr. Hatcher except "Pro" instead of "Dual-Threat") in 2013 while his Dad was a Head Coach at an FCS School.

PRO - 6-2 - 200

So...I'll go with "at least 9" as my answer to your question

Which lopsided mop up situations would that be?...LOL not many of those these days the way we are managing games.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I've never really understood it, but Hodges almost never comes out of the game. Even in lopsided mop up situations.

Clay Hendrix was the complete opposite. He'd pull PJ Blazejowski at the earliest opportunity.

More on the Samford signee class tomorrow night talking to @Chris_Renkel of @WIAT42 in studio. See the interview Sun. at 10:30 pm on CBS42 Sports Sunday.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hatcher high waters.jpg  

Interested to see that ranking given the level of competition.

Like Georgia, private schools in Alabama can play either in the independent association or the high school association. In my experience, AISA would be below the lowest high school classification in terms of depth and talent.

Only 8 teams make the playoffs, so three wins gets you a state title. It's the same teams playing for a title every single season for years.

Maybe the kid is an elite QB. I have no idea. I just have a hard time believing that a 5'9 QB off a tiny private school who plays against the weakest competition in the state is the 8th best HS QB in Alabama.
    And many of these schools are playing 8-man football...

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Which lopsided mop up situations would that be?...LOL not many of those these days the way we are managing games.
    How about these 5 from 2017?...I attended the Georgia & Mercer games, and watched the El Cid game. All 3 WERE clearly decided before the 4th quarter. Obviously, from the scores (by quarter) alone, the VMI and ETSU games were as well. Despite that, no other QB 'managed' to throw a pass in 2017.

Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
    Samford 0 7 0 7 14
    Georgia 14 7 21 0 42
    Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD INT Long Sack
    Devlin Hodges 26 35 227 2 0 25 3
    TOTALS 26 35 227 2 0 25 3

The Citadel 0 7 7 0 14
    Samford 28 7 0 0 35
    Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD Int. Long Sack
    Devlin Hodges 21 26 323 3 2 70 1
    TOTALS 21 26 323 3 2 70 1

Samford 10 10 3 3 26
    VMI 7 0 0 0 7
    Devlin Hodges 26 38 262 1 0 31 2
    Clarke Miller (TE - Fake Punt, I believe) 1 1 5 0 0 5 0
    TOTALS 27 39 267 1 0 31 2

Samford 0 10 8 2 20
    Mercer 0 3 0 0 3
    Devlin Hodges 36 49 367 2 1 34 2
    TOTALS 36 49 367 2 1 34 2

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
    ETSU 0 7 0 0 7
    Samford 14 21 0 7 42

Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD Int. Long Sack
    Devlin Hodges 20 32 261 4 0 75 1
    TOTALS 20 32 261 4 0 75 1
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

The only guess I can venture is that Samford does not really have a non-Hodges way of slowing the game down. The Bulldogs are not a good running team, so they will continue to throw it regardless of who is at QB. Hodges is probably the only guy they trust to run the clock and still complete enough passes to keep it moving.

Furman, for instance, pulled PJ Blazejowski as soon as the game was in hand. The backup would hardly ever throw it or even pitch it out of the option. His job was to hand it off and not fumble. Samford isn't really built to do that.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler SCPALADIN's Avatar

In case you were wondering, here's what an AISA defense looks like.

Wow...hope Samford signed #8, the CB from the blue team. That may have been the worst tackling effort I've ever seen.