Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Samford Signees.......

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    He may be used at another position IDK, but Ty is a pretty good athlete in his own right despite his small size. He is a 2** rated player and ranked as the overall 51st best in Alabama this year.
    I do see 247 has him as a 2-star and #128 overall in AL. He is also their 93rd (84th “composite”...whatever that means) best dual-threat QB nationally & 3rd best in AL. They have him as the 8th best QB (Pro or Dual-Threat) in AL. He’s not listed on ESPN’s Rankings. Where is he ranked #51 in AL?

The other Dual-Threats ranked around him nationally signed with UCF, Eastern Michigan, Hawaii, Lamar, Air Force, Army, Wofford, Navy, and Kansas State. I see via his Twitter that Samford offered him way back in February of 2017.

Did he have any other offers?
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I do see 247 has him as a 2-star and #128 overall in AL. He is also their 93rd (84th “composite”...whatever that means) best dual-threat QB nationally & 3rd best in AL. They have him as the 8th best QB (Pro or Dual-Threat) in AL. He’s not listed on ESPN’s Rankings. Where is he ranked #51 in AL?

The other Dual-Threats ranked around him nationally signed with UCF, Eastern Michigan, Hawaii, Lamar, Air Force, Army, Wofford, Navy, and Kansas State. I see via his Twitter that Samford offered him way back in February of 2017.

Interested to see that ranking given the level of competition.

Like Georgia, private schools in Alabama can play either in the independent association or the high school association. In my experience, AISA would be below the lowest high school classification in terms of depth and talent.

Only 8 teams make the playoffs, so three wins gets you a state title. It's the same teams playing for a title every single season for years.

Maybe the kid is an elite QB. I have no idea. I just have a hard time believing that a 5'9 QB off a tiny private school who plays against the weakest competition in the state is the 8th best HS QB in Alabama.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

How many teams would offer him since his dad is the coach?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Interested to see that ranking given the level of competition.

Like Georgia, private schools in Alabama can play either in the independent association or the high school association. In my experience, AISA would be below the lowest high school classification in terms of depth and talent.

Only 8 teams make the playoffs, so three wins gets you a state title. It's the same teams playing for a title every single season for years.

Maybe the kid is an elite QB. I have no idea. I just have a hard time believing that a 5'9 QB off a tiny private school who plays against the weakest competition in the state is the 8th best HS QB in Alabama.
    He did play 6-A ball his Jr Year at Homewood High, where he split time with a 6-2 Soph, who, this past year, led the Patriots to a 10-2 record and a Playoff win before they were stomped by the eventual 6-A runner-up.

Homewood was 5-6 the prior year. Not sure when and/or why Mr. Hatcher (the younger) transferred from there to Bessemer Academy.

BTW - Was it Elon or ETSU a few years back where the Head Coach had his son play QB for several forgettable seasons?

Hodges is a Sr this coming year, right?

He did play 6-A ball his Jr Year at Homewood High, where he split time with a 6-2 Soph, who, this past year, led the Patriots to a 10-2 record and a Playoff win before they were stomped by the eventual 6-A runner-up.

Homewood was 5-6 the prior year. Not sure when and/or why Mr. Hatcher (the younger) transferred from there to Bessemer Academy.

BTW - Was it Elon or ETSU a few years back where the Head Coach had his son play QB for several forgettable seasons?

Hodges is a Sr this coming year, right?
    Elon. Hamilton, I think.

Hodges is a senior. What is at least a little peculiar is that virtually no other QB has played for Samford. Only two other players threw a single pass for Samford last year (1 each) and both, I think, were wide receivers.

In fact, I think you have to go back to October 15, 2016 (55-21 win v. VMI) to find the last time a Samford QB other than Devlin Hodges threw a pass in a football game. Every other non-Hodges pass over the last two seasons (maybe only 5 total) has been a WR.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Elon. Hamilton, I think.

Hodges is a senior. What is at least a little peculiar is that virtually no other QB has played for Samford. Only two other players threw a single pass for Samford last year (1 each) and both, I think, were wide receivers.

In fact, I think you have to go back to October 15, 2016 (55-21 win v. VMI) to find the last time a Samford QB other than Devlin Hodges threw a pass in a football game. Every other non-Hodges pass over the last two seasons (maybe only 5 total) has been a WR.
    That's right...it was Elon in 2004. Started his son, who some said couldn't have started for most HS programs, over the returning starter & moved the other potential starting QB to WR. Then proceeded to go 0-fer the SoCon (2-12 in 2 years) and get fired after Year 2. Then, a few years later, he got the Head job at D2 Brevard College and in '08, with that same son as his starting QB, went 0-fer whatever conference Brevard plays in.

Surely, that couldn't happen at Samford with All-Everything Hodges returning. Also, they do have 8 other QB's on the roster. 2 rising Jr's who were both listed via an "OR" as Hodges' backup(s) in 2017 and 6 rising Soph's. Having 10 QB's on the roster for 2018 (plus any other walk-ons) pretty much explains why they didn't sign any other QB's this year. It is kind of hard to believe that in 2 or 3 blowout wins and 1 blowout loss last season that they couldn't find a few snaps where another QB could throw at least 1 pass. It will be interesting to watch who plays and how much behind Hodges in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    How many teams would offer him since his dad is the coach?
    Welp...for example...here are the offers for a 247 2-Star prospect who was ranked 93rd in the Nation as a "Pro Style" QB (exactly the same as young Mr. Hatcher except "Pro" instead of "Dual-Threat") in 2013 while his Dad was a Head Coach at an FCS School.

PRO - 6-2 - 200

So...I'll go with "at least 9" as my answer to your question

Last edited by FUBeAR; February 8th, 2018 at 01:48 PM.

That's right...it was Elon in 2004. Started his son, who some said couldn't have started for most HS programs, over the returning starter & moved the other potential starting QB to WR. Then proceeded to go 0-fer the SoCon (2-12 in 2 years) and get fired after Year 2. Then, a few years later, he got the Head job at D2 Brevard College and in '08, with that same son as his starting QB, went 0-fer whatever conference Brevard plays in.

Surely, that couldn't happen at Samford with All-Everything Hodges returning. Also, they do have 8 other QB's on the roster. 2 rising Jr's who were both listed via an "OR" as Hodges' backup(s) in 2017 and 6 rising Soph's. Having 10 QB's on the roster for 2018 (plus any other walk-ons) pretty much explains why they didn't sign any other QB's this year. It is kind of hard to believe that in 2 or 3 blowout wins and 1 blowout loss last season that they couldn't find a few snaps where another QB could throw at least 1 pass. It will be interesting to watch who plays and how much behind Hodges in 2018.
    I've never really understood it, but Hodges almost never comes out of the game. Even in lopsided mop up situations.

Clay Hendrix was the complete opposite. He'd pull PJ Blazejowski at the earliest opportunity.
    FU all the time.

Welp...for example...here are the offers for a 247 2-Star prospect who was ranked 93rd in the Nation as a "Pro Style" QB (exactly the same as young Mr. Hatcher except "Pro" instead of "Dual-Threat") in 2013 while his Dad was a Head Coach at an FCS School.

PRO - 6-2 - 200

So...I'll go with "at least 9" as my answer to your question

Is it safe to assume that the coach involved was coaching a startup Pioneer team who had no scholarships to offer ... and also that his son was primarily a G5 candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the coach involved was coaching a startup Pioneer team who had no scholarships to offer ... and also that his son was primarily a G5 candidate?
    "the coach involved was coaching a startup Pioneer team who had no scholarships to offer" - YES - a Pioneer Team that, despite what has been said publicly, knew as early as February of 2012, that they were going to be in the SoCon in 2014 and where employees' kids, particularly relatively highly compensated employees' kids, don't really need scholarships. http://benefitspayroll.mercer.edu/ww...iverPolicy.pdf

"was primarily a G5 candidate" - Are you saying that a 2-Star / 93rd best Dual-Threat QB in the Nation wouldn't, by virtue of that rating, pretty much automatically, be "primarily a G5 candidate?" It would seem to me, based on just what I've looked at today, that they would. Hence, my (valid, IMO) question about young Mr. Hatcher's other offers.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; February 8th, 2018 at 03:07 PM.