Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 PL Football Budgets – Fordham's Budget Increases Over $1 Million Year-over-Y

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    There is very little comparison in the quality of the game day experience between Jack Coffey Field and Goodman. Goodman wins this one by a landslide. Yes, you're closer to the action at Fordham but you are looking out across the field and there is no opposite side stands, which makes it more of a high school feel. There is something about being able to hear the roar of the opposing fan base, even if it's only a few hundred on the other side. Crappy locker room situation, visitors have to do all the pre-game trainers table stuff in the Lombardi Center (at least as of 2009). Concessions at Jack Coffey -- marginally better than Holy Cross. Food selection at Lehigh far superior as is the charm of the natural turf field with the grassy overflow area behind the end zone.

That being said, Jack Coffey is a beautiful venue and a hidden secret to many in New York City and the Bronx. I have been to Goodman 4 times and Jack Coffey 5 times and had great experiences every time. Both have solid tailgating situations as well.

How I'd rank the Patriot League venues:

1) Lehigh
    2) Lafayette
    3) Holy Cross
    4t) Fordham
    4t) Colgate
    6) Georgetown
    7) Bucknell
    Agree.

Re: 2017 PL Football Budgets – Fordham's Budget Increases Over $1 Million Year-over-Y

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    How I'd rank the Patriot League venues:

1) Lehigh
    2) Lafayette
    3) Holy Cross
    4t) Fordham
    4t) Colgate
    6) Georgetown
    7) Bucknell
    No way Bucknell is 7th.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Master FCS Advocate NY Crusader 2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    No way Bucknell is 7th.
    To tell you the truth, I don't find any of the PL stadiums to be terribly bad places to watch a game, having been to all seven. Just so happens that Bucknell plays in a run-down stadium with crappy turf (maybe they upgraded since my last visit) and the crowd energy seems to always be poor. Not overly knocking Christy Mathewson, just would be my last choice for a place to see a game.

Over the last 50 years been to Christy probably 15 or more times. It wasnt bad back in the 60s. Good crowds nice atmospbhere. It has been crumbling ever since. Rather dismal place last I was there about 4-5 years ago. I like Coffey mostly because its about a r0 min drive for me . Otherwise , its barely a HS field. Gate is nice if tiny and area is lovely in October . Fisher is a great facility wedged into Pard campus. Fitton is fun. Havent been in a while but with upgrades could be best in PL.Only knock I have for Goodman is distance from field. A true screw up. Needs an updated scoreboard.

First Class FCS Ruler

FYI-The Field Turf and track were replaced in 2012 at Christy Matthewson Stadium. We're a league with some fine football venues. You're entitled to your opinions but last? Really? Have you been to Georgetown? The setting is awesome-- the Susquehanna is not the Potomac. The MSF is a bit better than a car park roof, too. Let's see what gets conjured.

Re: 2017 PL Football Budgets – Fordham's Budget Increased $1 Million Year-over-Y

Quote Originally Posted by van View Post
    just to get the facts right, Goodman is 2.2 miles from my fraternity and 3.3 miles from Packer Hall, not that anyone goes from class to the Stadium on a Saturday morning, even at my advanced age I could walk to Goodman from the Frat in less than 20 minutes, and I've been to Coffey and Goodman game day is far superior
    Van,
    I'm sure you could get DOWN to Goodman in 20 minutes...but that's a hell of a walk back UP!
    “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

Quote Originally Posted by BucBisonAtLarge View Post
    Have you been to Georgetown? The setting is awesome-- the Susquehanna is not the Potomac.
    Am I missing something?

Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Christy Mathewson - Memorial Stadium was heavily renovated in about 1987-88. It is a nice place to watch a ball game and I disagree that it is "crumbling".

My vote for crumbling is old Palmer Stadium at Princeton between 1993 and 1996, when it closed. Sadly, the concrete (dating to 1914) was literally disintegrating back to sand. When it was torn down at the end of 1996, the demolition people had a very easy time - it came down and far quicker than anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Am I missing something?

Yeah, that picture still has the home stands in it

One doesn't need the nicest stadium to have a great atmosphere--that stadium in State College isn't exactly the Rose Bowl. What you do need is a environment that enjoys the game and the expectation of a winning result at home. Georgetown has won all of two PL games at home in four seasons. Bucknell hasn't won a PL title in 22 years. Fans can lose hope when there isn't any to go around.

Three schools have essentially rotated the PL title in 10 of the last 11 years. Locking in scholarships will make it more difficult, perhaps prohibitively so, that Georgetown and Bucknell can crack that ceiling. What message does that send a fan base that can just as soon stay home and watch the SEC game of the week instead?

But to the title of the thread--Fordham now spends more on football than nearly every school in the subdivision outside of Delaware and JMU. Are they getting their money's worth?