Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: From the Rose Bowl to FCS

I havent read into specifics of them moving down too much. But how do they handle the decreased scholarships? Do they have a postseason wait period like those that move up?

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'll be interested to see what happens to New Mexico State now that they will be a football independent. Any thoughts on which other schools might be seriously thinking about a return to FCS?
    Akron and Eastern Michigan. Come to mind.

Kent State could be a possibility.

I could also see Texas State looking at it and thinking about the success of SHSU.

I doubt many teams move down. Idaho's real problem was being located in Idaho.
    The MAC teams are fairly close geographically and most do not require large travel budgets and don't have scheduling problems so there is not a lot need to move.
    The MWC sort of overlaps the Big Sky, but in that part of the country travel will be an issue at any level.
    C-USA is an ego-driven conference and financial considerations are generally ignored.
    The SunBelt is nothing but uppity FCS move-ups and a delusional school in Lafayette.
    The AAC consists of AAA teams waiting for a G5 call-up.
    ... and Liberty is just better than all of us.

NMSU, UMass, and possibly Liberty may be candidates to move down at some point, but what I suspect is more likely, is that the NCAA loosens the floodgates and the MVFC, JSU, Kennesaw, and half of the CAA moves to FBS and then quickly regrets it.

First Class FCS Advocate DCWIU11's Avatar

I for one, would be very upset if Western moved up to FBS. One, because we wouldn't get an invite to a P5 conference (nor could Macomb handle those demands) and two I would be upset that our chance for the post-season would be some bowl game in Cleveland or some awful city like that. I would rather play in the toughest FCS conference, make the playoffs, and have a shot to win a national championship than win the "Casey's Pizza" bowl. Three, the financial situation of most Illinois schools should focus on the education of the students and not the football program.

Quote Originally Posted by DCWIU11 View Post
    I think that if Idaho is competitive right off the bat and makes the playoffs and the alumni start getting back onboard with the programs move back to FCS, I think more presidents at lower end non-P5 conferences will start look at moving down. UCF this year proved that if you are not in the P5 you do not have a shot at getting a chance of winning the national championship. When WIU played Coastal this year, I asked a few of their fans why they moved up? They were national ranked, a FCS "powerhouse" team and they move up to the Sunbelt where even if they werent awful this year they'd be playing for some pointless bowl. Most of the people I spoke to said they believed they moved up for the money but my follow up was "How long does the Sunbelt money last? Especially with the way the playoff system is set up?" If I were a university president and my schools football team wasn't in the P5 or one of the few non-P5 schools that are always semi relevant in FBS,(Houston, Boise, Memphis just to name a few) I would start considering to move down. But, I doubt it happens because the fear of losing money from donors, tv deals, and state budget cuts will make this intelligent idea not become real.
    See, I disagree. I think it would be best for Idaho to struggle to a mediocre record their first season rather than find instant success. Then maybe their fans and alumni would recognize that quality football is played at this level, there are good teams here, and that maybe the quality of football isn't that bad and they need to work to be successful at the FCS. Instant success would give them the feeling that this level is too easy and they will keep peaking over the fence at FBS.

Pride of the Western Plain

First Class FCS Advocate DCWIU11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    See, I disagree. I think it would be best for Idaho to struggle to a mediocre record their first season rather than find instant success. Then maybe their fans and alumni would recognize that quality football is played at this level, there are good teams here, and that maybe the quality of football isn't that bad and they need to work to be successful at the FCS. Instant success would give them the feeling that this level is too easy and they will keep peaking over the fence at FBS.
    Yotes, that is a really good point too. I didn’t think of it that way but “proving” (we all know this to be true as FCS fans) that FCS football is just as competitive if not more competitive than some of the FBS conferences would be helpful for our national spotlight or narrative. Personally, I hate the FBS and just want to watch all the non-P5 schools leave and come to the FCS. I just really, really dislike the FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master FCS Advocate VandalBasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Our lot has already been picked. We are an FCS team. I look forward to some great games against Montana and MSU, Idaho State and Eastern Washington. Beyond that, maybe NAU and Weber? Vandals from western Washington and Oregon will travel well to Portland State which will be a fun game. See ya this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by VandalBasher View Post
    Our lot has already been picked. We are an FCS team. I look forward to some great games against Montana and MSU, Idaho State and Eastern Washington. Beyond that, maybe NAU and Weber? Vandals from western Washington and Oregon will travel well to Portland State which will be a fun game. See ya this fall.
    Big Sky fans from Western Washington and Oregon always travel well to Portland. We even roll out the red carpet for you (well, the "green" carpet).

Quote Originally Posted by DCWIU11 View Post
    I for one, would be very upset if Western moved up to FBS. One, because we wouldn't get an invite to a P5 conference (nor could Macomb handle those demands) and two I would be upset that our chance for the post-season would be some bowl game in Cleveland or some awful city like that. I would rather play in the toughest FCS conference, make the playoffs, and have a shot to win a national championship than win the "Casey's Pizza" bowl. Three, the financial situation of most Illinois schools should focus on the education of the students and not the football program.
    WIU would go D-III long before they went FBS. I don’t know how you even afford FCS football.
    Teams I have watched this season: Butler - Cal Poly - Eastern Illinois - Furman - Hampton - Howard - Indiana State - Jacksonville State - James Madison - McNeese State - Mercer - Missouri State - Monmouth - Montana - Nicholls State- North Alabama -North Carolina A&T - North Carolina Central - North Dakota State - Northern Arizona - Northern Iowa - Prairie View A&M - Rhode Island - Samford - South Dakota - South Dakota State - Wofford - Yale - Youngstown State

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PantherRob82 View Post
    WIU would go D-III long before they went FBS. I don’t know how you even afford FCS football.
    Just to be clear, I don't see either as a likely possibly in the near future, but yeah...we're more likely to drop to DII than go FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000