Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: From the Rose Bowl to FCS

Its amazing to me that more schools dont drop down to FCS simply because they win a real National Championship on the field not in computers, algorithms and sportswriters ballots. I get that its all about the money but if more teams dropped down the money would follow.

Besides I am a purist and FBS football is an inferior post season product.
    AG1 now available in "Internet Black"

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and arm bears, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iridebikes View Post
    Thanks for posting this kalm. I saw this article in the paper on Sunday and thought it was pretty interesting. It seems to me, with the advent of the P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created that a two tier system in FBS, and for me its not as enjoyable as it used to be. I've always enjoyed following the Mountain West but now that they have basically been eliminated from competing at the top levels of their division, whats the point? Some minor bowl game? It also seems to me that the quality of play of the non P5 has degraded as all of the money and interest is manipulated and controlled by the P5.
    The same thing is happening in FCS. Just replace "P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created" with "conferences offering FCOA".

First Class FCS Advocate DCWIU11's Avatar

I think that if Idaho is competitive right off the bat and makes the playoffs and the alumni start getting back onboard with the programs move back to FCS, I think more presidents at lower end non-P5 conferences will start look at moving down. UCF this year proved that if you are not in the P5 you do not have a shot at getting a chance of winning the national championship. When WIU played Coastal this year, I asked a few of their fans why they moved up? They were national ranked, a FCS "powerhouse" team and they move up to the Sunbelt where even if they werent awful this year they'd be playing for some pointless bowl. Most of the people I spoke to said they believed they moved up for the money but my follow up was "How long does the Sunbelt money last? Especially with the way the playoff system is set up?" If I were a university president and my schools football team wasn't in the P5 or one of the few non-P5 schools that are always semi relevant in FBS,(Houston, Boise, Memphis just to name a few) I would start considering to move down. But, I doubt it happens because the fear of losing money from donors, tv deals, and state budget cuts will make this intelligent idea not become real.

Even if a G5 team went undefeated and had two wins vs top 20 programs, I'm not sure they would get into the Rose Bowl/FBS semfinal.

No one (ok, hardly anyone) cares about the FCS playoffs.....it's all "Division 2" to 90% of American fans. Highly doubt you see many moving down from FBS.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    No one (ok, hardly anyone) cares about the FCS playoffs.....it's all "Division 2" to 90% of American fans. Highly doubt you see many moving down from FBS.
    I would bet outside of seeing a team in passing playing an amply bowl game a fairly similar number thinks the same thing about a bunch of low G5 programs they’ve never heard of. I don’t disagree with the amount that moves down, hard to see too many move. With the TV money drying up though, it could be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

First Class FCS Ruler Outsider1's Avatar

I think some of the struggling FBS schools would see more opportunity with less cost moving down. They are feeling the squeeze. I think that is exactly why some of them will be watching the Vandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    To me, that does not matter. If it ain’t the biggest and brightest lights, most of the country won’t care regardless of the division.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Master FCS Advocate Catamount87's Avatar

Has anyone seen solid projections on TV revenues for the next several years? It can't be good given the continual flight of viewers from cable and satellite TV.

First Class FCS Ruler Outsider1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount87 View Post
    Has anyone seen solid projections on TV revenues for the next several years? It can't be good given the continual flight of viewers from cable and satellite TV.
    But don't most of those still get ESPN and similar with Hulu, Amazon, sling, etc...? I agree ESPN might feel some squeeze but I don't know if they are going to change their behavior any time soon. I would think things like Sling might actually make it easier to watch FCS games on TV since so much of what we have to do is internet based already.