Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Rose Bowl to FCS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion

From the Rose Bowl to FCS

Interesting read on Idaho's journey, unrealistic boosters, and the fact that other lower tier FBS programs are watching what happens to Idaho with interest....

Idaho, meanwhile, brought in $10 million across all of its sports, enough to cover less than half of its budget. The rest came from the broader university and student fees. The Rose Bowl experience was a fantasy, and Staben knew it, even if some alumni didn’t.“That isn’t by any means the kind of thing the University of Idaho is likely going to attain,” Staben said. “It’s a totally different league, and you and I and all reasonable people understand that.”
    Though no university has copied Staben’s move, schools across the country are closely following Idaho’s transition. Staben said presidents at other schools have called to say they admire his courage. Some would love to do the same, they tell him, but they’re too worried about the outcry from alumni.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...icher-idaho-v/

Re: From the Rose Bowl to FCS

I think the alumni would quickly get over it. More regional rivalries, better chance to win.

I see it as getting essentially the same on field product for a fraction of the cost. What's not to like?
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Idaho's move to FBS might have turned out better, but no one could predict the rapid rise of Boise State from a junior college to a national brand name. Rose Bowl experience is unrealistic. Now the Vandals are back to their natural rivals- eventually most of these "fans" who have deserted them will come back.

I'll be interested to see what happens to New Mexico State now that they will be a football independent. Any thoughts on which other schools might be seriously thinking about a return to FCS?
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I'll be interested to see what happens to New Mexico State now that they will be a football independent. Any thoughts on which other schools might be seriously thinking about a return to FCS?
    Almost none. Outside of Winston-Salem and Savannah State, how many schools are going back to Division II?
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Almost none. Outside of Winston-Salem and Savannah State, how many schools are going back to Division II?
    Presbyterian is moving to an even lower level of football than D2 (PFL). One factor working against teams going from D-I to D-II is the loss of March Madness money. WSSU and SSU wanted to save scholarship football so they moved down a division.

Master FCS Advocate
    My Team
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Akron and Eastern Michigan. Come to mind.

Kent State could be a possibility.

I could also see Texas State looking at it and thinking about the success of SHSU.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Eastern Washington

Quote Originally Posted by kalm View Post
    Interesting read on Idaho's journey, unrealistic boosters, and the fact that other lower tier FBS programs are watching what happens to Idaho with interest....

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...icher-idaho-v/
    Thanks for posting this kalm. I saw this article in the paper on Sunday and thought it was pretty interesting. It seems to me, with the advent of the P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created that a two tier system in FBS, and for me its not as enjoyable as it used to be. I've always enjoyed following the Mountain West but now that they have basically been eliminated from competing at the top levels of their division, whats the point? Some minor bowl game? It also seems to me that the quality of play of the non P5 has degraded as all of the money and interest is manipulated and controlled by the P5.

My Team
    North Carolina Central

Quote Originally Posted by Iridebikes View Post
    Thanks for posting this kalm. I saw this article in the paper on Sunday and thought it was pretty interesting. It seems to me, with the advent of the P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created that a two tier system in FBS, and for me its not as enjoyable as it used to be. I've always enjoyed following the Mountain West but now that they have basically been eliminated from competing at the top levels of their division, whats the point? Some minor bowl game? It also seems to me that the quality of play of the non P5 has degraded as all of the money and interest is manipulated and controlled by the P5.
    The same thing is happening in FCS. Just replace "P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created" with "conferences offering FCOA".

Those dastardly Durmites!

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by WileECoyote06 View Post
    The same thing is happening in FCS. Just replace "P5 and the FBS playoff system that has been created" with "conferences offering FCOA".
    That may be true in terms of general competitiveness across conferences.

However, I would disagree because any conference in FCS who wants a bid, gets at least one to send their champion to have a chance at a national title.

Exhibit A - San Diego gets to prove themselves worthy. Maybe their chances are 1 in a million to win the whole thing, but at least they get that chance unlike Central Florida in the FBS. Meanwhile, while they are offered that opportunity to compete in the playoffs, they have shown themselves worthy and have two quality postseason wins to raise their profile just a little bit more.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller_34 View Post
    That may be true in terms of general competitiveness across conferences.

However, I would disagree because any conference in FCS who wants a bid, gets at least one to send their champion to have a chance at a national title.

Exhibit A - San Diego gets to prove themselves worthy. Maybe their chances are 1 in a million to win the whole thing, but at least they get that chance unlike Central Florida in the FBS. Meanwhile, while they are offered that opportunity to compete in the playoffs, they have shown themselves worthy and have two quality postseason wins to raise their profile just a little bit more.
    Yep, this is why FCS playoffs is better than the FBS. San Diego, while they don’t play in the most competitive conference in the FCS have had the chance of winning the title two years in a row. Where if they were FBS they’d be laughed at and told to stay out. UCF is my FBS champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk