Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Who will be the surprise teams next year?

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    APSU

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them take the OVC out to the woodshed next year. Including us.
    I think JSU's early exit justified APSU's exclusion from the post-season this year. The OVC is likely a 1 bid league going forward and it'll probably come down to APSU/JSU.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Delaware returns to playoff football.
    Living the Dream

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I think JSU's early exit justified APSU's exclusion from the post-season this year. The OVC is likely a 1 bid league going forward and it'll probably come down to APSU/JSU.
    Ehh. Depending on our OOC we should not have as many losses as APSU did last year anyway.

I think any OVC team with 9 wins is going to get a bid. We may suck, but we aren't the MEAC.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

AGS FCS Champion

I'm not saying anyone in the SLC will be worth their salt once real competition is played. Sammy lost too many good ones. UCA did too. But even with that talent UCA jumped the shark early in the playoffs..thanks coach. It may take Sammy a couple of years to rebuild.

So for the question...

SLU was unranked but will be a nice surprise for the FCS.

UCA and SHSU were ranked but flopped and will again next year if either makes it. IMO. Sammy will perform better..but in the end it won't matter.
    He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    ---St. Francis of Assissi

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    It may have this year but next year is a new year. If another OVC team can put up a good non-conference resume* and then win 6 or 7 games in the OVC they could still get an at large.

*Hint: Scheduling 3 FBS games is likely not the best way to put up a good non-conference resume.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    I'm curious where do you see Western going? Up or down?
    Not really sure...I kinda feel like I'm just too close to the situation to provide an objective opinion, but here's what I think so far...

Our offense will likely be about the same overall, but a little heavier towards the run percentage-wise (Steve McShane and Max Norris, big-time) unless we have another surprise Acklin. McGuire is back for his Senior year, but we don't have Judd or Torgerson on the O-Line anymore. We'll have to see if we have the guys able to step up and fill those spots.

Defense...well, we're losing Brett Taylor...our best defensive player in...a good 7-8 years. I feel like we'll see a lot more of Quentin Moon next year (probably will be the top tackler for WIU in 2018), but losing Taylor is going to be tough. Not at all worried about the D-Line guys...we've got a good amount of young talented guys there with more waiting in the wings. We are losing quite a few of our decent DBs...Aaron Diggs, Tyrin Holloway (transferred in last year from Liberty, had 7 INTs), Josh Smith, David Griffith...those last two played in 45+ games over 4 years...so I'm kinda worried about our pass defense.
    Also, a lot will depend on who our new DC is going to be...still TBD.

Like Clenz, I'm going to wait until we see who's transferring out, who's transferring in, and how spring practices go before I can make any real predictions.
    If I had to make a wild guess at this point, I'd say about the same or maybe slightly down (so, 8-3 or maybe 7-4 in the regular season).
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

UND has the potential to be pretty good with their starting defensive players back and a new QB. Will still have poor OL and the worst offensive coordinator in the league. If the OL can play somewhat competent UND will have a good season. Otherwise we will be .500 ish.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    UND has the potential to be pretty good with their starting defensive players back and a new QB. Will still have poor OL and the worst offensive coordinator in the league. If the OL can play somewhat competent UND will have a good season. Otherwise we will be .500 ish.
    But the real question is how much time have they spent in the weight room and how pissed off are they?

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    I'm curious where do you see Western going? Up or down?
    I Know you asked ST but my honest opinion is down we lose a lot in the DB position all but one offensive lineman and a WR who had the best receiving season in WIU history I see us at 4-5 wins. As far as who to watch for I will go with the bears MSU had a very good offense this year they just didn't play any defense SDSU will probably be down as well. USD I think it comes down to was Strevler just that good or was it cause he had a bunch of really good player's around I'm going to say the latter right now.

Master FCS Advocate BadlandsGrizFan's Avatar

BOBBY FREAKING HAUCK!!!!