Page 142 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1642

Re: The 2018 MVFC Megathread - brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    Its a Leopard Seal. Very dangerous.
    Yes, I we used to see Leopard seals rip Penguins to shreads..... but I've seen alot, I was a Breaker Sailor....
    Welcome back Delaware Bluehens

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    Idk, look at the way the Bison is looking back at the penguin... He knows that whenever he wants to, he can quit toying with the penguin and stomp it into the ground. Similar to what NDSU does to some teams... let them hang around in the first half and make them feel like they have a chance, then stomp their hearts out in the 3rd quarter.
    I like your thinking

Dewey

AGS FCS Champion

Despite a pretty wild weekend the MVFC playoff picture stayed pretty much where most expected it to be after week 10. Only 1 team was eliminated but there's now only 2 teams (NDSU and SDSU) that can be feeling very comfortable right now. The conference could still get as many as 5 teams in but it could be a few as 2 depending on how it plays out these last 2 weeks. Here's how they stack up:

Locks

North Dakota St (9-0, 6-0)
    Quality wins: Delaware, SDSU, @UNI, @WIU, ISUr
    Bad losses: None
    Remaining games: @MSU, SIU
    The Bison have locked up a playoff spot as well as the MVFC autobid. Given the turmoil around the country I think they could drop their last 2 and still be seeded or drop one of them ans still be in the top 2. However, given their remaining schedule it doesn't seem likely that they lose either but they showed today that they're not invincible.

Should be in

South Dakota St (6-2, 4-2)
    Quality wins: Montana St, @ISUr
    Remaining games: @SIU, USD
    The Jackrabbits are in great shape as they only need to win one of their last two to lock themselves into the field and they should be heavily favored in both. Given the losses by other top 10 teams this week like JMU and Wofford I think they're in good shape to be seeded if they can win out, perhaps as high as #4 depending on how things shake out amongst the Big Sky contenders.

Must win out

Western Illinois (5-4, 4-2)
    Quality wins: Montana, UNI
    Remaining games: @USD, ISUb
    "Whew!" is all WIU can be saying after storming back to escape with a win in Carbondale. They still need to win out to get in, and if they do they shouldn't have much of a sweat come Selection Sunday, but their last 2 games aren't going to be gimmes especially that finale at home aginst an Indiana St team that could be riding a 4 game win streak by that point.

Northern Iowa (5-4, 4-2)
    Quality wins: SDSU, ISUr
    Remaining games: @YSU, MSU
    The Panthers had to have it today against ISUr and they got it. They should be able to rest easier given their schedule softens up considerably in these last two games but depending on what YSU teams shows up at the Ice Castle next weekend they can't take anything for granted since they'll need to win out to get in. If they do win out they shouldn't have much of a sweat on Selection Sunday.

Illinois St (5-4, 2-4)
    Quality wins: @Colorado St, WIU
    Bad losses: MSU
    Remaining games: @ISUb, YSU
    The Redbirds are reeling after dropping 3 straight with their loss in Cedar Falls today and things aren't going to get much easier as they now need to go to Terre Haute to face a Indiana St team that's won 3 straight and has playoff hopes of their own. They now have no more margin for error and even if they win out I think they'll be in for a sweat on Selection Sunday with that NAIA win not doing them any favors but I think that FBS win against Colorado St should help them get over that with the bubble looking to be a little weak this year.

Indiana St (5-4, 3-3)
    Quality wins: None
    Bad losses: MSU
    Remaining games: ISUr, @WIU
    The Trees aren't going away as they gritted out a win against USD today but their remaining schedule will force them to up their game as they have no quality wins to this point and they'll need to battle two teams that should also have "win or go home" mentalities these last two weeks. If they can win out it's no sure thing they get an at-large invite with a sub-D1 win on their resume but I'd think with a 5-3 record in the MVFC and a 5 game win streak (not to mention they'd knock two teams off the bubble by winning out) they'd have to feel pretty good about their chances.

Eliminated

Missouri St (4-5, 2-4) - To no one's surprise given their recent trending the Bears were eliminated today after their loss in Brookings so they're now relegated to playing spoiler after a promising 1st half of 2018.
    South Dakota (3-6, 2-4) - The Coyotes still have some fight in them but their defense just can't seem to close out games. All they have left to look forward to is a rivalry game against their in-state rival in their final game of the season.
    Youngstown St (3-6, 2-4) - Well we got our answer today on whether the Penguins have quit and that's a resounding "no". They face an inconsistent UNI team at home next week with a chance to wreck some playoff chances in the process.
    Southern Illinois (2-7, 1-5) - The Salukis almost pulled it off today against WIU but, as they have done much of the year, found a way to lose the game. They go to SDSU next week in what will be a very tough matchup for their porous defense.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; November 4th, 2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added MSU as a bad loss for Indiana St
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Expert

It is crazy how many MVFC teams still have a shot at the playoffs.

Cannibalism at it's best right now.

Dewey

AGS FCS Champion

UNI wins out they are in. #1 SOS
    WIU wins out I think they are in.

Ill State is out IMO right now even if they win out.

3 or 4 are getting in IMO.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    UNI wins out they are in. #1 SOS
    WIU wins out I think they are in.

Ill State is out IMO right now even if they win out.

3 or 4 are getting in IMO.
    Pending the results of the Idaho St game tonight I put together a list of all the at-large candidates across the FCS and it actually seems like the bubble will be stronger than I thought. The sub-D1 wins for the ISUs may come back to bite them if they get to 7-4. If WIU and UNI win out the MVFC almost certainly gets 4 bids though.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

I think either WIU and ISUr get in OR ISUb gets in. In theory if we split the next 2 weeks then the team that beats us gets in

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore62 View Post
    I think either WIU and ISUr get in OR ISUb gets in. In theory if we split the next 2 weeks then the team that beats us gets in
    Isn't Illinois State capped at 6 D1 wins? I think they are out no matter what at this point. They played an NAIA.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    North Dakota State University Football
    National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17
    MVFC champions: 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    Isn't Illinois State capped at 6 D1 wins? I think they are out no matter what at this point. They played an NAIA.
    since the playoffs were expanded, it is no longer a "requirement" to have 7 D-I wins. There have been teams that have gotten at-large bids with 6-4 records against D-I competition, and even some that went 6-5. It just depends how the field looks and whether the committee feels these 6 D-I win teams have a better resume than 7 D-I win teams who played a softer schedule overall.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ79 View Post
    since the playoffs were expanded, it is no longer a "requirement" to have 7 D-I wins. There have been teams that have gotten at-large bids with 6-4 records against D-I competition, and even some that went 6-5. It just depends how the field looks and whether the committee feels these 6 D-I win teams have a better resume than 7 D-I win teams who played a softer schedule overall.
    Especially when the 6 D1 win team is from the MVFC. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. Outside of the MVFC, a 6 D1 win team is going to be a pretty hard sell though.
    No, but I did eat Casey's Breakfast Pizza this morning.