Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DXi5jFIW0AcMAF6.jpg  
    1-AA is tops!!

Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

VMI has five new assistant coaches for 2018:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticl...CLID=211707254
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion

My Bulldogs getting three grad transfers.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sport...7580d9870.html

Citadel football adds three graduate-student transfers to boost 2018 roster

The Citadel is adding three graduate-student transfers to bolster the Bulldogs' roster for the 2018 season.

Coach Brent Thompson confirmed Monday that defensive backs Ronald Peterkin of Georgia State and Cliff Barrett of Lenoir-Rhyne and defensive lineman Shawn McCord of St. Francis University have been cleared to join the program.

All three have graduated from their respective schools and will have one season of eligibility at The Citadel.....
    Always nice to get some experience. Especially at some thin positions. You never know what you will get with Grads. We have done well and had some so-so folks.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    My Bulldogs getting three grad transfers.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sport...7580d9870.html

Always nice to get some experience. Especially at some thin positions. You never know what you will get with Grads. We have done well and had some so-so folks.

In a similar vein, Furman announced three transfers this winter, and two of them just dropped off the roster. Only man left standing is former Clemson DB Amir Trapp.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    VMI has five new assistant coaches for 2018:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticl...CLID=211707254
    ...and now a sixth....

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticl...CLID=211718771
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion

Can't hurt....right?
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Curious. Why hasn't VMI embraced the triple option?

I think every other military school runs a version of that offense.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I agree. Now that Cobb is gone, the TO is a good choice for VMI. My only concern with that (for VMI) would be with Wofford and The Citadel running it SoCon teams may see it enough to prepare better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    I agree. Now that Cobb is gone, the TO is a good choice for VMI. My only concern with that (for VMI) would be with Wofford and The Citadel running it SoCon teams may see it enough to prepare better for it.

Could it be any worse than trying to line up and trying to run a spread offense against a schedule full of teams that are bigger, stronger, and faster than you are at every position?

The utility of the option in the modern game is it negates some of the size and speed advantages of your opponent. There are a bunch of different variations of the offense. Even the Citadel and Wofford run versions that vary starkly.

My general point is that VMI isn't going to be able to recruit the guys that can win doing what they are doing on offense. Not in the SoCon. If you can't recruit the right personnel, you are better served going full buy in to land athletes you can recruit. That's where the option becomes useful.

I've always been impressed with VMI's tenacity. In fact, I think they have had some pretty good defensive players. Those defense players, though, are eventually going to wear out if you can't move the ball. It's not like their offense is necessarily going to get any worse making a system change.
    FU all the time.

First Class FCS Ruler longtimemocfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Could it be any worse than trying to line up and trying to run a spread offense against a schedule full of teams that are bigger, stronger, and faster than you are at every position?

The utility of the option in the modern game is it negates some of the size and speed advantages of your opponent. There are a bunch of different variations of the offense. Even the Citadel and Wofford run versions that vary starkly.

My general point is that VMI isn't going to be able to recruit the guys that can win doing what they are doing on offense. Not in the SoCon. If you can't recruit the right personnel, you are better served going full buy in to land athletes you can recruit. That's where the option becomes useful.

I've always been impressed with VMI's tenacity. In fact, I think they have had some pretty good defensive players. Those defense players, though, are eventually going to wear out if you can't move the ball. It's not like their offense is necessarily going to get any worse making a system change.
    Tend to agree with your assessment here. True if you add another team to the TO pool you see it a little more, but everyone runs their own version of it. It gives you a chance to move the ball, take time off the clock and keep a defense without a lot of depth rested.