Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

In addition to VMI losing Hodges (one waaay out rumor is that he didn't want to again compete for the starting job, but I can't confirm, and I do not believe), OLB Keuony Deng is leaving, looking for a school that an NFL team will find him (this ain't the '60s).....FB Alex Ramsey is rumored to leave also (Hodges and him room together?), starting HB Daz Palmer is on the fence; Va. Tech transfer LB Hubbard left school in early November (had a sub-one GPA).....
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    In addition to VMI losing Hodges (one waaay out rumor is that he didn't want to again compete for the starting job, but I can't confirm, and I do not believe), OLB Keuony Deng is leaving, looking for a school that an NFL team will find him (this ain't the '60s).....FB Alex Ramsey is rumored to leave also (Hodges and him room together?), starting HB Daz Palmer is on the fence; Va. Tech transfer LB Hubbard left school in early November (had a sub-one GPA).....
    That's a shame because most likely those leaving are looking to be in the spotlight a bit more, as you said. But they will end up somewhere and while they may end up getting a little bit more notice, they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    That's a shame because most likely those leaving are looking to be in the spotlight a bit more, as you said. But they will end up somewhere and while they may end up getting a little bit more notice, they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    Perhaps. It's also tough to lose 16 in a row.

It is certainly not good to have some of your better players getting out of the program. VMI was only competitive in one or two games this year. I'm not sure what they need to do to turn it around.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    Yes, both VMI and The Citadel preach the "4 years for 40 years" approach.
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    Yes, both VMI and The Citadel preach the "4 years for 40 years" approach.

We have lost quite a few baseball players to the pros in the last few years. I scratch my head because they were like Juniors and nearly all will most likely have a few years in the minors or a tiny percent of them a coupe years in the majors and then .... nothing. I guess some might try and finish their degree, but it puzzles me. I think they are getting steered wrong somewhere along the line. If a career in the pros would not wait a year, then they probably were not good enough to begin with.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

We have lost quite a few baseball players to the pros in the last few years. I scratch my head because they were like Juniors and nearly all will most likely have a few years in the minors or a tiny percent of them a coupe years in the majors and then .... nothing. I guess some might try and finish their degree, but it puzzles me. I think they are getting steered wrong somewhere along the line. If a career in the pros would not wait a year, then they probably were not good enough to begin with.
    You can thank Fred Jordan (and a few other factors) for that. The entire system, to him, was an annoyance and something to be skirted. He passed that mentality on to many players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will derive mucho pleasure when we run the score up on the Bell Hops this year. Our boys will be eager for sweet revenge. I expect no less than 60 points. I'm thinking 3 TD's for Price alone." - Apphole

OLD CORPS

Nice writeup on new Furman WR signee DeJuan Bell (http://chronicle.augusta.com/high-sc...na-player-year)

Furman's signing of Bell and RB Corey Watkins continue to show a heavy focus on infusing speed throughout the Paladin offense. The offense sports a number of guys that can run, but the lack of depth in that department showed itself late in the season against playoff-caliber defenses that could physically matchup with Furman's inside run game.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I can promise that nothing related to Jerry Richardson’s latest issues will affect Wofford one iota at all.

Quote Originally Posted by woffordgrad94 View Post
    I can promise that nothing related to Jerry Richardson’s latest issues will affect Wofford one iota at all.
    Well, I mean, it is going to affect them in terms that they’d prefer that the allegations would have been leveled against someone other than their largest benefactor.

But, I agree with you. I don’t know what Richardson would have to do to have Wofford refuse his millions, but it’s probably more than what he’s been accused of.
    FU all the time.

FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by woffordgrad94 View Post
    Well his issues wouldn't exactly cause an issue, but a new owner could move their training camp from the Wofford campus to somewhere else.