Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 89
  1. #11
    FCS Champion kdinva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    3,397

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    In addition to VMI losing Hodges (one waaay out rumor is that he didn't want to again compete for the starting job, but I can't confirm, and I do not believe), OLB Keuony Deng is leaving, looking for a school that an NFL team will find him (this ain't the '60s).....FB Alex Ramsey is rumored to leave also (Hodges and him room together?), starting HB Daz Palmer is on the fence; Va. Tech transfer LB Hubbard left school in early November (had a sub-one GPA).....
    1-AA is tops!!

  2. #12
    AGS FCS Expert

    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,436

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    In addition to VMI losing Hodges (one waaay out rumor is that he didn't want to again compete for the starting job, but I can't confirm, and I do not believe), OLB Keuony Deng is leaving, looking for a school that an NFL team will find him (this ain't the '60s).....FB Alex Ramsey is rumored to leave also (Hodges and him room together?), starting HB Daz Palmer is on the fence; Va. Tech transfer LB Hubbard left school in early November (had a sub-one GPA).....
    That's a shame because most likely those leaving are looking to be in the spotlight a bit more, as you said. But they will end up somewhere and while they may end up getting a little bit more notice, they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

  3. #13
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    That's a shame because most likely those leaving are looking to be in the spotlight a bit more, as you said. But they will end up somewhere and while they may end up getting a little bit more notice, they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    Perhaps. It's also tough to lose 16 in a row.

    It is certainly not good to have some of your better players getting out of the program. VMI was only competitive in one or two games this year. I'm not sure what they need to do to turn it around.
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  4. #14
    FCS Champion kdinva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    3,397

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    they will most likely live on NFL dreams when they could have lived the reality of a VMI degree. Nothing wrong with following your dreams, but perspective is crucial.
    Yes, both VMI and The Citadel preach the "4 years for 40 years" approach.
    1-AA is tops!!

  5. #15
    AGS FCS Expert

    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,436

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    Yes, both VMI and The Citadel preach the "4 years for 40 years" approach.

    We have lost quite a few baseball players to the pros in the last few years. I scratch my head because they were like Juniors and nearly all will most likely have a few years in the minors or a tiny percent of them a coupe years in the majors and then .... nothing. I guess some might try and finish their degree, but it puzzles me. I think they are getting steered wrong somewhere along the line. If a career in the pros would not wait a year, then they probably were not good enough to begin with.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

  6. #16
    AGS FCS Champion CID1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,392

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    We have lost quite a few baseball players to the pros in the last few years. I scratch my head because they were like Juniors and nearly all will most likely have a few years in the minors or a tiny percent of them a coupe years in the majors and then .... nothing. I guess some might try and finish their degree, but it puzzles me. I think they are getting steered wrong somewhere along the line. If a career in the pros would not wait a year, then they probably were not good enough to begin with.
    You can thank Fred Jordan (and a few other factors) for that. The entire system, to him, was an annoyance and something to be skirted. He passed that mentality on to many players.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will derive mucho pleasure when we run the score up on the Bell Hops this year. Our boys will be eager for sweet revenge. I expect no less than 60 points. I'm thinking 3 TD's for Price alone." - Apphole

    OLD CORPS

  7. #17
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Nice writeup on new Furman WR signee DeJuan Bell (http://chronicle.augusta.com/high-sc...na-player-year)

    Furman's signing of Bell and RB Corey Watkins continue to show a heavy focus on infusing speed throughout the Paladin offense. The offense sports a number of guys that can run, but the lack of depth in that department showed itself late in the season against playoff-caliber defenses that could physically matchup with Furman's inside run game.
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  8. #18
    Top FCS Ruler woffordgrad94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Always on the move
    Posts
    1,518

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    I can promise that nothing related to Jerry Richardson’s latest issues will affect Wofford one iota at all.

  9. #19
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by woffordgrad94 View Post
    I can promise that nothing related to Jerry Richardson’s latest issues will affect Wofford one iota at all.
    Well, I mean, it is going to affect them in terms that they’d prefer that the allegations would have been leveled against someone other than their largest benefactor.

    But, I agree with you. I don’t know what Richardson would have to do to have Wofford refuse his millions, but it’s probably more than what he’s been accused of.
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  10. #20
    FCS Expert
    Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,642

    Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by woffordgrad94 View Post
    I can promise that nothing related to Jerry Richardson’s latest issues will affect Wofford one iota at all.
    Well his issues wouldn't exactly cause an issue, but a new owner could move their training camp from the Wofford campus to somewhere else.

Similar Threads

  1. SoCon: SoCon schools to produce 48 football games in 2017
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2017, 11:40 AM
  2. The SoCon's 50 Best Players For 2017
    By SU DOG in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM
  3. NEC Football 2017 offseason/preseason thread
    By Original_RMC in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 5th, 2016, 02:51 PM
  4. Big South football 2017 offseason/preseason thread
    By Bucs2016 in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
  5. Offseason at Grambling? What offseason?
    By thederisoreport in forum FCS News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •