Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: SoCon Offseason 2017-18

In case any of you non-Furmans want to post on the Furman Fans’ Message Board or just spy on ‘Dins Fans, the inimitable & indefatigable Stumpy has recreated the former Unofficial Furman Football Page (TheUFFP) at a new URL: http://gopaladins.com
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

Samford releases their schedule: https://samfordsports.com/news/2018/...-schedule.aspx

First, fine them for playing Shorter. They were 0-11 last year and were only competitive in a single game. They are the VMI of D2.

Second, the rest of the slate is going to be a tough one. The stretch with at FSU, Mercer, at UTC, at KSU, and WCU is going to be brutal. They also finish with three of their last four on the road, all of which will be long road trips.

I still have Samford as my likely favorite in 2018, but I'm vacillating on that a little bit after looking at this.

Incidentally, I think Wofford will face both Furman and Samford coming off their bye weeks. That would concern me if I were a Terrier fans. Both of those teams should have pretty good defenses and an extra week to get ready for the option.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    The stretch with at FSU, Mercer, at UTC, at KSU, and WCU is going to be brutal.
    Exactly my thoughts when I saw their schedule.

I'm willing to bet right now that Mercer's Offense, in 2018, will not put up more points for Samford than they do for Mercer; as they did in the 2017 game, when they scored 4 for Sammy and only 3 for Mercer. Whatever it was the Bears were doing (actually, TRYING to do is more accurate) on Offense that day will never be seen again. If it is, I suspect President Underwood will pull a Ted Turner of 1977 and assume the Coaching reins before halftime.

And we saw what a less-than-standard Chatt Team did to Sammy last year...as well as KSU...and WCU led the Bullpups with 7 minutes left last year. They can clear the bench in the 2nd quarter vs. Shorter, but the next 5 weeks straight could be quite a tough row to hoe for the boys from Homewood.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Exactly my thoughts when I saw their schedule.

I'm willing to bet right now that Mercer's Offense, in 2018, will not put up more points for Samford than they do for Mercer; as they did in the 2017 game, when they scored 4 for Sammy and only 3 for Mercer. Whatever it was the Bears were doing (actually, TRYING to do is more accurate) on Offense that day will never be seen again. If it is, I suspect President Underwood will pull a Ted Turner of 1977 and assume the Coaching reins before halftime.

And we saw what a less-than-standard Chatt Team did to Sammy last year...as well as KSU...and WCU led the Bullpups with 7 minutes left last year. They can clear the bench in the 2nd quarter vs. Shorter, but the next 5 weeks straight could be quite a tough row to hoe for the boys from Homewood.
    That's a big early season conference game. Unfortunately for Mercer, I don't think they are going to know a whole lot about Samford after watching game film against Shorter and Florida State.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    That's a big early season conference game. Unfortunately for Mercer, I don't think they are going to know a whole lot about Samford after watching game film against Shorter and Florida State.
    Yeah, we get stuck with two games out of the chute...again. That is good if we win, we lose, and obviously not so good. Puts you in the hole early. We had two to start in 2016 and luckily won both. Not sure how we got stuck again so fast with two to start. We got Wofford to start, which I actually like given their turmoil, although that may be a bit strong of a word or simply wishful thinking. And then Chatty. Not bad if we can pull them both off. I think I would rather have Alabama first instead of last.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

I happened to circle back on this article from last year, suggesting UTC may consider a move to the SunBelt or OVC. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/s...c-look/426797/

UTC's attendance was up in 2017 to 9,170. Hard to gauge, really, how a new regime that suffered through a long season impacted that. Of course, their two biggest gates were against JSU and UT-M.

I do still wonder whether the SoCon would/could manage to expand its footprint westward. For a long time, I thought Jacksonville State was destined for the FBS, but it certainly seems like they would have jumped if they were going to. I'm less certain about Kennesaw State, who, while a big school, has a transient fan base and drew home attendance less than schools a fraction of its size.

I realize those schools don't perfectly fit the profile of the current SoCon members, but I can see great benefit to member schools if, say, Jacksonville State and their fans/band ventured to Samford and UTC in alternating years. I also imagine there would be a nice gate for Kennesaw playing at home against a school like Furman, with their large Atlanta area alumni base. I guarantee they'd do better than playing home games against Monmouth or Charleston Southern.
    FU all the time.

My Team
    Chattanooga

Most Chattanooga fans consider JSU our biggest rival due to a couple of factors:
    1.) They have a large energetic fan base that travels well to Finley and is at near capacity for home games.
    2.) We have a history of close, competitive games.
    3.) The past few years both teams have been ranked.
    4.) We have had several “rivalry incidents” on both sides . Rodney Allison said “I didn’t come here (UTC) to beat Jacksonville State” which of course was bulletin board material. A few years later JSU said we “trashed” the visitor locker room after a loss. JSUs coach “forgot” to shake Huesman’s hand after a game. A JSU player flipped UTC fans off after a playoff game, got into an argument with UTC students and entered the visitors section of the stands.

Many Chattanooga fans would like to see JSU and Chattanooga in the same conference (though I think most would prefer that be the SoCon than the OVC) and I think almost all UTC fans would like to play JSU every year even if we remain in separate conferences.

I was for a move to the OVC the last time it was discussed (~2007) as the OVC was a marginally? Better basketball conference (which utc has traditionally been strong in) and we would be more competitive in football (we had been bad in the SoCon for a long time), but we didn’t move to the OVC, we hired Huesman and proved we can be competitive in the SoCon and nationally in football. I have no interest in the OVC now. The SoCon added ETSU, Samford, and Mercer to keep it from being the “Carolina Conference” - I think Chattanooga fans were happy with those additions. The SoCon also added VMI which most Moc fans didn’t care for but made The Citadel happy.

I don’t see us going the OVC as long as we can be competitive in SoCon football.

Chattanooga couldn’t afford to go FBS and I am not sure I would be interested in that anyways. To most Chattanoogans the SunBelt, the OVC, and the SoCon are all “D2”.

Major FCS Advocate GreenGlasses's Avatar
    My Team
    Good Football

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    Chattanooga couldn’t afford to go FBS and I am not sure I would be interested in that anyways. To most Chattanoogans the SunBelt, the OVC, and the SoCon are all “D2”.
    I'll take the bolded statement one step more. For the most part in Tennessee if you don't root for the Vols then you don't exist.
    I like good football anywhere....Except I don't watch any Power 5 games at all.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGlasses View Post
    I'll take the bolded statement one step more. For the most part in Tennessee if you don't root for the Vols then you don't exist.
    Did they field a team this last year?
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

FWIW - Hero Sports Top 30 Signees in the SoCon - https://herosports.com/fcs/recruitin...18-class-ajaj? - I bolded some...cuz I wanted to...

THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE TOP 30
    RK FCS CHOICE POS PROSPECT HOMETOWN HGT WGT OTHER OFFERS
    1 CHATTANOOGA DT Josh Walker Bradenton, FL 6'2" 285 Arizona decommit - 41 total offers
    2 THE CITADEL RB Emeka Nwanze Roswell, GA 5'11" 205 Penn decommit; several ACC offers
    3 THE CITADEL RB Clay Harris Atlanta, GA 6'0" 205 Purdue decommitment - 3 FBS offers
    4 CHATTANOOGA S Kohl Henke Chattanooga, TN 6'2" 190 Virginia, Navy, JSU, APSU, Mercer
    5 THE CITADEL LB Caleb Deveaux Waxhaw, NC 6'0" 195 Pittsburgh
    6 MERCER WR Tony Jones Fairburn, GA 6'0" 175 Tennessee - 15 offers
    7 MERCER RB Kareem Rogers Stockbridge, GA 5'10" 180 Syracuse, Navy, S. Alabama, Tulane, JMU
    8 WESTERN CAROLINA QB A.J. Curry Mount Airy, GA 6'4" 200 FAU, S. Alabama
    9 CHATTANOOGA DE Mychal Austin Apopka, FL 6'1" 250 Minnesota - 9 offers
    10 WOFFORD OL Al Hogan Fairburn, GA 6'3" 285 Virginia, Air Force, Citadel, Buffalo, Kennesaw, Fordham
    11 WESTERN CAROLINA WR Mahari Stribling Loganville, GA 6'3" 180 Boston College, Tulane
    12 MERCER WR DeMond Ellison Canton, GA 6'3" 200 Ga. Southern, Chattanooga
    13 WESTERN CAROLINA DB Charles Gadie Douglasville, GA 5'9" 165 Purdue, Tulane - 5 FBS offers
    14 MERCER TE Brandon Shelnutt Lawrenceville, GA 6'4" 230 3 FBS - 7 total offers
    15 CHATTANOOGA WR Genuine Potts Powder Springs, GA 6'3" 195 Wake Forest, West Virg - 27 offers
    16 MERCER QB Bryce Lawrence McDonough, GA 6'3" 185 FAU, Western Illinois, Eastern Ky
    17 CHATTANOOGA WR Logan Pitts Trussville, AL 6'1" 210 Citadel, Tenn. Tech - committed early
    18 ETSU ATH Chris Armstrong Foley, AL 6'0" 200 8 FBS offers, 14 total
    19 FURMAN QB Hamp Sisson Birmingham, AL 5'11" 185 Air Force, Army - 7 total offers
    20 SAMFORD OL Gavin Orr Gadsden, AL 6'4" 270 6 FBS offers - 13 offers total
    21 WOFFORD OL Elijah Ball Rome, GA 6'3" 290 Navy, Ga. Southern, Ball St., Austin Peay
    22 SAMFORD DE Justin Hayes Smyrna, GA 6'3" 250 UCF, Navy - 10 total offers
    23 FURMAN DE Cameron Coleman Clarksville, TN 6'3" 285 UTSA, ETSU
    24 WOFFORD RB Colby Wood Jefferson, GA 5'10" 180 Navy
    25 FURMAN RB Corey Watkins Evans, GA 5'8" 185 Academies - 6 total offers
    26 VMI DB Ethan Caselberry Harvest, AL 6'3" 190 Marshall PWO, Samford, UT Martin
    27 WOFFORD DT Corey Prince Hollywood, FL 6'0" 265 FAU
    28 WESTERN CAROLINA DB Ronald Kent Harrisburg, PA 5'10" 170 8 total offers
    29 MERCER DE Coby Germany Evans, GA 6'3" 245 Georgia State, Samford
    30 ETSU QB Cam Lewis McDonough, GA 6'3" 200 Old Dominion, Southern, Jackson St

Mercer wins the "Quantity Award" with 6 of the Top 30. Chatt comes in 2nd with 4 and WCU & Wofford tie for 3rd with 4 each.

CIT wins the "Quality Award" with the average ranking of their 3 on the list at 3.33. Chatt is next at 9.20 with Mercer being 3rd with 14.00.

Per Hero's opinion, it seems that ETSU and VMI bring up the "Recruiting Rear" with WCU, Wofford, Samford, and Furman in the middle of the pack trailing the "Recruiting Winners" - Mercer, Chattanooga, and The Citadel.

BTW - 18 of 30 from GA (60%), 5 from AL (16.67%), 3 from FL (10%), 2 from TN (6.67%), 1 from NC (3.33%), 1 from PA (3.33%)

NOTE: Hero Sports does not include Transfers (4-year or JUCO) in their Signee Rankings
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL