The tradition of the streamers hails from the early 1980s with men's basketball. From '81 to '83, the Dukes made 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments, winning their 1st round game each year (in '82, lost to a certain team from North Carolina with some guys named Worthy, Doherty, and the Jordan fella by the blowout margin of 52-50 in the 2nd round). Our gym at the time, Godwin Hall, seated about 5,000 and if you were in the top 2 rows you could -- with some ingenuity and help from some friends -- reach the corrugated metal panels in the ceiling and bounce them. Made a huge racket. I don't know for sure who started it, but at a home game in the '81-'82 season, some guys cleaned out all the toilet paper from their dorm and after the 1st basket by the Dukes tossed them to the court. Eventually, for mostly economic reasons, the school convinced the students to change over to streamers. I think their reasons were also based on the sanitary needs of its students. I used to keep a store bought stash in my dorm room, so I could use the bathroom on game days...

The fan base tends to overdo it and have difficulty moderating the behavior -- thus the NCAA ban on streamers in Frisco this year.

There are loads of beautiful campuses in the U.S., but if you ever get a chance to visit JMU's quad/bluestone area I truly believe you will be impressed. One of the reasons I chose to go there and why it still feels like home 4 decades later.