• Weber State

18 16.67%
  • JMU

90 83.33%
Page 16 of 103 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Ruler Grizzlies82's Avatar

Re: Weber State at JMU (Quarterfinal)

Quote Originally Posted by JMU2K_DukeDawg View Post
    Yes, the whole game against SUU I was rooting for a SUU comeback that never happened. Weber St. would be a one-loss to Cal team if not for their QB getting injured the first time around vs. SUU. I see a very well-balanced team and the only team it reminds me of in the CAA right now is JMU actually.

Do I think JMU will win? They should IF they play well. But this is a team against whom an off day will end the season quickly as it did for SUU. For me it is difficult to gauge how the conferences stack up. Most on our boards see JMU as the faster team. Probably so, but football speed is a funny thing, and deceptive. Weber St. took good angles on defense, and that together with discipline is exactly how JMU dominates opponents on defense. They have depth a DB like JMU, and their front four on defense was able to disrupt a very good SUU team seemingly with ease. So this is a big test.

Why would JMU roll this team as some Dukes fans predict? Our defense has been a turnover machine. If we're not getting sacks, we're getting INTs. If the QB holds the ball, he'll eat it soon enough. That pressure leads to easier opportunities on offense with a shorter field. Our ST leader in Miller was lost to a srained ankle, but the back up came in and had a huge punt return against Stony Brook, so I feel confident on Special Teams even with that loss. It also seemed like SUU's mobile QB gave WSU some fits at times in last week's game. I think Schor will have a big day with his feet and through the air, with the defense getting caught one way or the other depending on the looks.

Why will Weber St. pull the upset? I can think of two main factors: 1) Schor makes bad decisions. He's generally solid, but this year more than last he's tried to force a ball into tight coverage, or held the ball too long thinking he could make a play when it was busted. 2) Offensive line falters. JMU's clear weakest spot (and it's still pretty damn good) is the O-line. It's younger than other parts of the team, and the running lanes just haven't been there like years past. Also, it seems like Schor gets pressured faster than he did at this time during last year's run. If the WSU wins, I'll bet it will be their D-line that deserves the lion's share of the credit.

Still, I think JMU wins this one on a short week with big travel for the team from Utah. But am I nervous? Yes, Weber St. is probably the 3-4 best team in the country despite actual ratings. I look forward to seeing how our Dukes stack up against our third wildcat team of the year.
    Excellent write up.

Weber State is not a "great" team but I've been impressed with what they've done down there. They won't dazzle anyone but it is almost deceptive. They are just extremely solid in EVERY ASPECT of their game. They are more than capable of beating anyone left in the tourney. It seems unlikely they will advance further but I'm rooting for our western neighbors to play their best game. Sorry to hear it's going to be cold in Virginia. I was hoping JMU could fill their beautiful stadium tomorrow and put on a good show for a nation-wide audience. Best of luck to all, here is hoping for an injury free, exciting game!
    What does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by BNATION View Post
    JMU guys, with clear eyes, does this game make you nervous at all? I have not watched Weber enough to know as I've been focusing on teams that we could potentially play.
    Can't lose if you also add full hearts.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jmufan999 View Post
    just ignore him. every other word out of his mouth is either "slot voting" or "Decembrist". i think he might be a bot.

and i'm with you, i'll probably disappear after our season is over, regardless. i think i took some time off last year and didn't post for quite a while, and that was after we won the title.
    How Russian am I tho?
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    We won a National championship in ‘04. Nice try though, we lost to Youngstown first round of the playoffs in 06. Why would I have any desire to discuss FCS Playoff football on a FCS Playoff thread any other time of the year? It’s cool buddy. You’re not legit unless you’re on here in April talking about Spring Ball. Case in Point.

Moving on... Dukes 21, Cats 13
    My bad. You came for a couple of months and disappeared for 11 years. I guess I can be wrong.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

Master FCS Advocate Lorne_Malvo's Avatar

If Weber is +2 on turnovers they have a chance.

I'll be honest I'm a little nervous for the game but nothing 10 shots of fireball can't fix

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDukes View Post
    I'll be honest I'm a little nervous for the game but nothing 10 shots of fireball can't fix
    How I currently feel as well. Win or lose its always better drunk... I was about 12 beers deep by halftime in the quarters last year...
    "Momma said football was the Devil." - Bobby Boucher

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."- VInce Lombardi

JMU announced the uniform combo: black-purple-black

Major FCS Advocate Hoboken Dukes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    My bad. You came for a couple of months and disappeared for 11 years. I guess I can be wrong.

We get it, you think your opinion matters more because you're at the stage of your life where you can (want to?) post on an FCS message board ~7,700 times in a 3-year stretch. Or, if my math is correct, around 7 times a day on average. Congratulations.

Now, as for me - and many other fans that engage with this message board during the the FCS playoffs - I'm not at a stage in my life where I can (or want to) post 7 times a day on an FCS message board. Fortunately, JMU football is just part of a well balanced year-round sports addiction and the FCS playoffs nicely augment my NFL football, basketball (both college & pro), baseball and hockey interests. Maybe it's not the same where you live and NDSU/FCS football is allocated the lions share of your sporting enthusiasm manifested through message board posts. If that's the case, knock yourself out.

However, many JMU fans who joined in years following the 2004 National Championship have been here every year since, myself included. Just because we don't post an obsessive amount doesn't mean we are any less of fans. It just means we are sane individuals with other things to do - #DecembristForLife.
    Last edited by Hoboken Dukes; December 7th, 2017 at 01:31 PM.
    JMU DUUUUUKES 2004 & 2016 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlies82 View Post
    Excellent write up.

Weber State is not a "great" team but I've been impressed with what they've done down there. They won't dazzle anyone but it is almost deceptive. They are just extremely solid in EVERY ASPECT of their game. They are more than capable of beating anyone left in the tourney. It seems unlikely they will advance further but I'm rooting for our western neighbors to play their best game. Sorry to hear it's going to be cold in Virginia. I was hoping JMU could fill their beautiful stadium tomorrow and put on a good show for a nation-wide audience. Best of luck to all, here is hoping for an injury free, exciting game!
    Cold weather aside, Friday sucks for those trying to get out of DC, just a horrible commute. The band of about 400 will be at 75%, as some of the best musicians have a symphonic concert at the same time. Add the usual holiday time excuses, and we'll be lucky to have 15k. I expect 12-13k. 50% of a stadium is just not right for this amazing once in a generation team, but we beat this to death preaching to the choir on our boards and FB. Students will show up for the rally towels, but probably leave early to study for finals or drink, or both lol. The good thing is that the ones who show up will be among the loudest and rowdiest of the fan base. Some of us donated money/tickets for local charaties to attend, so there's that too.

It's a great stadium for media though, so the game should be a good show for the country, including replays, etc.