View Poll Results: Who will win this game?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wofford Terriers

27 20.45%
  • NDSU Bison

105 79.55%
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Quarterfinal: Wofford @ NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    Never done one....give me the cliff notes to do it...
    At the top of the thread, click "thread tools" and then "Create a Poll". Then fill in the fields and voilą.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    A bad field goal kicker could be a plus for Wofford, a running team that uses all 4 downs to get 10 yards is what I wish we would do more often. A field goal is a mental defeat for the team that kicks one or maybe it is just a mental defeat for me.
    Sometimes. It's less deflating than getting inside the opponents' 10 and getting nothing though which Wolford did twice late in the 2012 quarterfinal these two teams played. One drive ended in a blocked 26 yard FG and the other ended with a 4th and 3 stop at the NDSU 6 by tackling machine Grant Olson.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 5-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    At the top of the thread, click "thread tools" and then "Create a Poll". Then fill in the fields and voilą.
    Thanks....I should pay attention more....

There's going to obviously be comparisons to the 2012 team. This team is better than them (this may be a long post, not sure).

Before anyone starts getting philosophical on stopping the triple option: I personally never think it's a cypher that needs to be cracked. Bad defenses can't stop it and good/great defenses have as much luck as they do with other defenses. So before we begin, that's something I want to lay down first, because a lot of times fans of opposing teams try to find example x, y or z to say to themselves conclusively "why yes we will easily shut this down" and it's not really the case. Being in the Socon where there's been 2-3 option teams every year since like 2010, I can tell you that there's a lot of examples of teams doing really well against one option and then getting whipped on another.

Anyway, North Dakota State is easily the most balanced team Wofford has faced this year. I think we're capable of winning in Fargo, but obviously that's a tall order. Outside of the x's and o's aspects of things, Wofford's a team that expects to win every game they play and doesn't get down when they're losing. We've trailed multiple games this year or gave the opposition the ball when we were up by less than a touchdown and the defense/team did not flinch. It may not translate to a victory, but my point is that you can expect these guys to be mentally tough and not mail it in, even if they get down early.

As for differences with the 2012 team/strengths of this team, here are a few:

1) We have an intermediate pass game. It used to be that 3rd and 5 to 10 would be an insurmountable problem, but not anymore.
    2) We have a great QB. last time when we came to Fargo, we were bouncing around 3 different QBs. Brandon Goodson is better than any of them and is one of the few QBs in Mike Ayers's tenure to throw for 1000 yards. Even if Brandon Goodson has a bad day, backup Joe Newman is lightning fast and can change the pace up on the Bison defense. If it's, like 10-0 halfway through the fourth quarter favoring the Bison, Newman could come in and change the feel of the game.
    3) we may not pound it as much to the fullback, but our skill guys are probably better than they were then.

Long story short: our offense is better. I don't know what score to expect, because again the Bison defense is stout and one of the best we'll see, but I don't think we'll get shut out. We have a veteran OL (4 seniors) Our kicker is clutch inside 40 and has shown slight improvement over the year (also, I have no idea how he'll kick in a dome), but not so much from farther than that so the 20 yards between the 30 and 50, pending on distance may be four down territory.

On defense, I'd also say we are more athletic than we were the last time we played, most notable on the DL and the secondary. We've always had great linebackers and the ones we have now are no exception, but on the DL we are staggeringly good. No team has been able to run straight at us all year (though to be fair, the last MVFC team to try to was able). Defensive ends Miles Brown and Tyler Vaughn are probably All Americans (I think both were last year?). to put things in perspective, we run a 3-4 defense, but we got 4 DL who have gotten some sort of all socon honors. In the secondary, we run a zone that is liable to the dink and dunk, but we have really good corners in Devin Watson (cousin of Houston Texans' QB Deshaun Watson), George Gbesee and Dominque Lemon. The former two are great at forcing turnovers (not just picks), the latter is a monster at stopping the run (watch his film against Furman). All three have unique closing speed and are great at open field tackles.

Obviously none of this necessarily translates to a victory on Saturday. This is just a rundown of who we are. There's more to talk about/analyze (like our close wins), but I think this is a good primer and long enough post.
    Please excuse all posts made before 2016

The game might just come down to how much the Bison throw the ball. Wofford beat Furman solidly because Furman kept trying to run the ball. The times they passed it they had success but they just didn’t pass it enough. Wofford is very good stopping the run but dreadful against the pass. If NDSU runs the ball a lot, the game will be much closer than if they throw it around the yard...because Wofford is helpless against the forward pass.

wasn't the 2012 game in Fargo where the KO returner didn't take a knee and gave the Bizon 6 gift points?
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by woffordgrad94 View Post
    The game might just come down to how much the Bison throw the ball. Wofford beat Furman solidly because Furman kept trying to run the ball. The times they passed it they had success but they just didn’t pass it enough. Wofford is very good stopping the run but dreadful against the pass. If NDSU runs the ball a lot, the game will be much closer than if they throw it around the yard...because Wofford is helpless against the forward pass.

NDSU will run the ball but the passing game might help back off the defense to open up the run game more.

Wofford's front 7 on defense look really good. Strength vs strength in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    wasn't the 2012 game in Fargo where the KO returner didn't take a knee and gave the Bizon 6 gift points?

UNI game

Wofford scored on a pick 6 the last time these teams met.

First Class FCS Ruler TennBison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Sometimes. It's less deflating than getting inside the opponents' 10 and getting nothing though which Wolford did twice late in the 2012 quarterfinal these two teams played. One drive ended in a blocked 26 yard FG and the other ended with a 4th and 3 stop at the NDSU 6 by tackling machine Grant Olson.
    If I remember that play correctly, Wofford did not give the ball to their #1 back on that play. Which was a head scratcher to me because NDSU really had not been able to stop him for any real short gains all game, he was always getting 4-5 yards it seemed. Wofford went to the #2 back and he was stopped for either a no gain or loss on a run to the right.

This year, Wofford doesn't have a #1 back.
    Please excuse all posts made before 2016

First Class FCS Ruler TennBison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    No, but off the top of my head, if I remember right, I believe you might be thinking of the UNI game against Lehigh. UNI player did something like that and Lehigh hit the ball out of his hand and covered it in the endzone for a TD.