View Poll Results: Who will win this game?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wofford Terriers

27 20.45%
  • NDSU Bison

105 79.55%
Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Quarterfinal: Wofford @ NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Both run defenses will need to be on point this game. Wofford's triple option presents a unique challenge for the Bison defense and NDSU's run game has been bulldozing defenses ever since the loss to SDSU but Wofford is almost certainly the best team the Bison have played since SDSU. I think points will be at a premium in this game similar to the 2012 quarterfinal (but probably still higher scoring than the 14-7 final in that game).

Doe Wofford have a decent FG kicker this time around? I seem to recall their FG kicking game left a lot to be desired their last time in the Fargodome.
    A bad field goal kicker could be a plus for Wofford, a running team that uses all 4 downs to get 10 yards is what I wish we would do more often. A field goal is a mental defeat for the team that kicks one or maybe it is just a mental defeat for me.

First Class FCS Ruler TennBison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Both run defenses will need to be on point this game. Wofford's triple option presents a unique challenge for the Bison defense and NDSU's run game has been bulldozing defenses ever since the loss to SDSU but Wofford is almost certainly the best team the Bison have played since SDSU. I think points will be at a premium in this game similar to the 2012 quarterfinal (but probably still higher scoring than the 14-7 final in that game).

Doe Wofford have a decent FG kicker this time around? I seem to recall their FG kicking game left a lot to be desired their last time in the Fargodome.
    Stats say he is 40-40 on extra points and is 10-11 on field goals. But no stats that I can find on the length of FG attempts. He also seems to be their punter as well.

AGS FCS Expert

Going to be a low scoring affair obviously. Both teams hold on to the ball and grind drives. Wofford held the ball for almost 12 minutes in the fourth quarter yesterday. Furman has a pretty good offense, but they only got 10 possessions all game...5 each half and only one in the 4th. Hard to score when you don't have the ball. But that applies to Wofford as well. NDSU has an even better TOP than Wofford.....going to be a good one most likely.

As far as FGs go Wofford has done this below. So under 40, probably money. Over, only made one, and missed one, hard to tell. Indoors? Who knows.

Made

Missed
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    What do Bison fans, Valley rubes, Wofford and AGS guys think about this one?

I posted a bunch of thoughts in the NDSU/USD thread so I wont repeat a bunch of it here.

IMO, Wofford is solid and it will be a defensive battle. Both have very good defenses and both can run the ball effectively.

Bison need to bring their A game to this one.
    I am sure we saw their A-Game yesterday!

AGS FCS Expert

One other thing that Wofford does without a huge amount of hesitation is go for it on 4th down while still in their own territory. Seen a few time around their 35-50. Obviously they especially do it with 1 or 2 yards to go. They were going to do it yesterday but got a false start and ended up punting. I want to say they did it against us this year and made it. They don't do it always, but their coach has a sense for it.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

The key (IMO) to giving yourself a decent change to win against NDSU with an option team is to pound it up the middle until you create room on the perimeter to run.

The big question to me is if Wofford has the guy that can do up the middle what Eric Breiteinstein did in 2012 or what the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo also did that same year.

I see Wofford having some shorter drives than they had in 2012 and it'll be close for a while but NDSU wins in a score something like 24-10.
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    Yep, at least the won't be handing out rain slickers at the gate, never good to leave the game with splattered blood stains after witnessing the annual slaughter

Bernstein? that was a good game about 5 years ago, not sure Wofford is as good as that team but hopefully good enough to keep things interesting for a while

Sorry to say it, but the entire playoffs are just a charade, appears there are only 2 good teams in FCS, with the caveat being S Dak State
    I was at that Wofford NDSU quarterfinal game in 2012. Breitenstein (SP?) was a BEAST but thankfully for the Bison Grant Olson continually answered the bell that day. He finished the game with 29 tackles. Plus NDSU made a HUGE 4th downs stop on Wofford inside the NDSU 15 (maybe 10) late in the game to seal it. That was a heck of a battle.

I think it has been JMU and NDSU all year long but SDSU is close. I really want to see that game between SDSU and JMU. That should be a heck of a game.

Dewey
    "You're not defined by a moment, you're defined by your body of work, and that's the best body of work in college football." NDSU head football coach Chris Klieman

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FCS_pwns_FBS View Post
    The key (IMO) to giving yourself a decent change to win against NDSU with an option team is to pound it up the middle until you create room on the perimeter to run.

The big question to me is if Wofford has the guy that can do up the middle what Eric Breiteinstein did in 2012 or what the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo also did that same year.

I see Wofford having some shorter drives than they had in 2012 and it'll be close for a while but NDSU wins in a score something like 24-10.
    Their FB, Andre Stoddard, is pretty good. Hefty guy at 5'10" 230. He went 17 for 64 yesterday for 3.8/carry. That was right about his average of 67 a game. Per carry on the year he is at 4.9. Not huge numbers but if he can get 4 a carry on average, that isn't bad. Their back up went 8 for 43 for 5.4 a carry. So they got 100+ from the FB.

Only time Wofford's run game was shut down was against us when we held them to 89 yards....but then they just passed for 200+. That is what makes them dangerous. They have a capable pass game that they can rely on or simply sting you when you are stacking the box against them. You saw their passing ability in the last drive of the first half yesterday. 5 plays, 64 yards, 4 passes (3/4), 1 run....TD.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by FCS_pwns_FBS View Post

You obviously have seen way more TO than I have but I thought the biggest difference between the 2011 and 2012 GSU teams was McKinnon at QB. Dude could get to the outside and always seemed to find a crease and fall forward. He seemed to make the offense very dangerous while the 2011 QB (name slips my mind) didn't have the quickness to get to the edges.

Dewey
    "You're not defined by a moment, you're defined by your body of work, and that's the best body of work in college football." NDSU head football coach Chris Klieman

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I was at that Wofford NDSU quarterfinal game in 2012. Breitenstein (SP?) was a BEAST but thankfully for the Bison Grant Olson continually answered the bell that day. He finished the game with 29 tackles. Plus NDSU made a HUGE 4th downs stop on Wofford inside the NDSU 15 (maybe 10) late in the game to seal it. That was a heck of a battle.

I think it has been JMU and NDSU all year long but SDSU is close. I really want to see that game between SDSU and JMU. That should be a heck of a game.

Dewey
    Yep, me too, I think we are going to get that game
    Welcome back Delaware Bluehens