Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    AGS Circle of Influence Member

Re: UNI Time for Farley...

Quote Originally Posted by uni88 View Post
    I knew Mark back in day so I'm biased but IMO this was a transition year due to all of the changes on the coaching staff so my expectations were lower and this team exceeded them. Next year is more important to knowing where the program is headed.

I was also there when they pushed Mudra out to make room for Earle Bruce and that was a huge mistake. This doesn't mean that you don't make a change but it does mean that you need to understand the risk that the change could backfire and the program could go backwards.

If there is a change, what about Paup coming back from Minnesota?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Typical apologetic thought process that has gotten us where we are. Literally nothing about this was a transition year. 4 OL we’re back. Top 3 RBs we’re back. Starting QB was back. All of the TEs we’re back. 5 of the top 6 DL we’re back. 4 of the top 5 LBs we’re back. 2 all conference DBs we’re back with a third starter back. Literally nothing about this was a ****ing transition year.

This year played out like every damn year does. Start like **** because Farley won’t let the staff build the program. It gets to be too late and Farley decides to go into aggressive mode because this team has to win at least 5 of its last 6 to have a prayer. Get to the playoffs and Farley ball comes back because he doesn’t trust his staffs plan that got them there.

Enough is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A FCS twist on a quote from Iowa State HC Matt Cambpell about getting his team bowl eligible.

Farley deserves a lifetime contract at UNI.

First Class FCS Advocate neverobeyed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    Farley deserves a lifetime contract at UNI.
    He isn't going anywhere unless voluntary - his contract is too expensive to buy out.

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Typical apologetic thought process that has gotten us where we are. Literally nothing about this was a transition year. 4 OL we’re back. Top 3 RBs we’re back. Starting QB was back. All of the TEs we’re back. 5 of the top 6 DL we’re back. 4 of the top 5 LBs we’re back. 2 all conference DBs we’re back with a third starter back. Literally nothing about this was a ****ing transition year.

This year played out like every damn year does. Start like **** because Farley won’t let the staff build the program. It gets to be too late and Farley decides to go into aggressive mode because this team has to win at least 5 of its last 6 to have a prayer. Get to the playoffs and Farley ball comes back because he doesn’t trust his staffs plan that got them there.

Enough is enough.

First, I admitted I was biased at the start of my post. Second, it might not have been a transition year from a talent/experience perspective but it was a transition year from a coaching staff perspective. There was a lot of turnover and IMO the team wasn't just struggling because they were too conservative to start the year. They were struggling because they weren't executing and I believe the coaching changes had a big impact on that.

I understand and don't disagree with the frustration. I also realize that you are closer to the program than I am and have a better feeling for what is going on. But we need to be honest and understand that a change doesn't guarantee a positive result. There is a decent chance that things could get worse (Bruce, Dunbar, etc.). If a change is made, I am a fan and will support the program (unless they start recruiting criminals en masse).

AGS Circle of Influence Member

First, I admitted I was biased at the start of my post. Second, it might not have been a transition year from a talent/experience perspective but it was a transition year from a coaching staff perspective. There was a lot of turnover and IMO the team wasn't just struggling because they were too conservative to start the year. They were struggling because they weren't executing and I believe the coaching changes had a big impact on that.

I understand and don't disagree with the frustration. I also realize that you are closer to the program than I am and have a better feeling for what is going on. But we need to be honest and understand that a change doesn't guarantee a positive result. There is a decent chance that things could get worse (Bruce, Dunbar, etc.). If a change is made, I am a fan and will support the program (unless they start recruiting criminals en masse).
    Not making a change because “things could be worse” is the sign of a scared program. The sign of an unwillingness to push for hiring things. It’s fear based. It’s short sighted.

Dunbar was 29-14 in 4 years before he was canned because that wasn’t acceptable. 7-4 is now considered a good season at UNI.

There is a decent chance that doing nothing will continue to make the program worse and we actually have proof of that. Not just a hypothetical built on fear.

UNI has now lost at least 5 games 6 years in a row and 7 of the last 8. It’s been 6 seasons since our last conference title. The longest streak before this in our D1 era? 4 seasons (97-00). Those horrid Dunbar years. Outside of that? 2 seasons (88, 89).

Literally nothing about the direction of this program is acceptable right now. If Dunbar wasn’t acceptable than neither is Farley. This is the worst 8 year span in UNI D1 history. More losses than any other 8 year span. More conference losses. Fewer conference titles.

If “it could be worse” is the reasoning as a fan base, we deserve worse

"People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A FCS twist on a quote from Iowa State HC Matt Cambpell about getting his team bowl eligible.

Back in the day, UNI dominated the Gateway conference. But the Gateway conference back in the day wasn't anything compared to what the MVFC is these days. Even then, UNI more often than not would make the playoffs, win their first round home game, and then lose on the road. That much hasn't really changed.

Yes, UNI football has fallen some, and I wouldn't be adverse to a coaching change. But comparing conference records "back then" to now isn't really a valid comparison.

As far as some of the other points from the OP's list...
    always seems to me that the Farley kids were decent linebackers, don't know if I'd consider that unfair nepotism.
    And I really can't fathom the DOPs position having that much impact on on-the-field play one way or the other. (I mean yes, they handle many important aspects of keeping a football program running, but unless they're totally dropping the ball on stuff, I don't think that has anything to do with the scoreboard results)

Not making a change because “things could be worse” is the sign of a scared program. The sign of an unwillingness to push for hiring things. It’s fear based. It’s short sighted.

Dunbar was 29-14 in 4 years before he was canned because that wasn’t acceptable. 7-4 is now considered a good season at UNI.

There is a decent chance that doing nothing will continue to make the program worse and we actually have proof of that. Not just a hypothetical built on fear.

UNI has now lost at least 5 games 6 years in a row and 7 of the last 8. It’s been 6 seasons since our last conference title. The longest streak before this in our D1 era? 4 seasons (97-00). Those horrid Dunbar years. Outside of that? 2 seasons (88, 89).

Literally nothing about the direction of this program is acceptable right now. If Dunbar wasn’t acceptable than neither is Farley. This is the worst 8 year span in UNI D1 history. More losses than any other 8 year span. More conference losses. Fewer conference titles.

If “it could be worse” is the reasoning as a fan base, we deserve worse

Jay is right that comparing the MVFC to the Gateway is apples and oranges.

You're right that not making a change because of fear of things getting worse is a sign of scared program. I've seen changes made with the belief that a program will improve and then when it doesn't fans act like they never supported the change and question why it was made. I'm just saying that if we're going to make a change let's make it with our eyes open and understand that there is risk involved. As I said earlier, I'm a fan and will support the program with Mark or another coach in charge.

Back to one of your earlier posts, the best case scenario for a change is Mark leaving voluntarily. He's been a huge part of the school for such a long time that forcing him out is going to cause a rift.

Frequent FCS Advocate Panthers1995's Avatar

I knew Mark back in day so I'm biased but IMO this was a transition year due to all of the changes on the coaching staff so my expectations were lower and this team exceeded them. Next year is more important to knowing where the program is headed.

I was also there when they pushed Mudra out to make room for Earle Bruce and that was a huge mistake. This doesn't mean that you don't make a change but it does mean that you need to understand the risk that the change could backfire and the program could go backwards.

If there is a change, what about Paup coming back from Minnesota?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Have you seen the schedule for next year? Talk about brutal. Next year will be interesting.

You can't let him go. I want to welcome him to Missoula at least one more time next year.
    Put it this way, if Columbus landed on the West Coast, the East Coast would still be uninhabited.....

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...06/MONTbar.png

http://www.championshipsubdivision.c...1257443047.jpg

AGS FCS Champion

To be fair to this situation

UNIs DOPS guy got offered a position by the Seattle Seahawks in late July in their scouting department.

Jamie grew up in the UNI football program. The DOPS position is pretty easy and requires no football knowledge- which she actually has.

It was a quick hire because it needed to be. She reports to the AD, not to Mark.

As for the topic of this thread - yes. I’m hoping he gets a LB or DC role on Scott Frosts Nebraska staff. The buy out gets taken care of and we go aggressively after an offensive mind

You guys should hire John Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.