Page 95 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Patriot League 2018 - way way way to early

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    We had a brief period under David Roach where he insisted on home and home games and we did not play as many road games, but the schedules got weaker. At the time he left, we had, among others, Bryant, Marist and Sacred Heart on future schedules. Thereafter Victoria Chun, with some encouragement from the Board of Trustees, went back to the traditional scheduling philosophy.

Speaking of "stop getting your butts kicked in the OOC", I'll remind you that Lehigh went winless OOC last year.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree with that at all. We ALL carry the torch for the conference.
    Like it or not it's the way it works in college sports. The most successful programs in each conference carry the torch for their respective conferences. It's always been like that....

No better example of that is AAC hoops. The league desperately needs UConn, Memphis and Temple to pick up their game. More is expected of them due to their historical accomplishments. When they're struggling so is the league.

The PAC12 is better when USC is rolling. The Big 12 is better when Texas is rolling. The ACC is better when Florida State is rolling. The Big 10 is better when Penn State is rolling. Sure it's nice when Washington State, Iowa State, NC State and Purdue are good but they don't create the buzz as the previous mentioned. I remember when the Mississippi schools were ranked 1 and 2 in the BCS instead of Alabama and Auburn. Despite the lofty rankings the Mississippi schools were never looked at in the same light as their conference foes to the east.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Thread turning into a p*ssing contest between Lehigh and Colgate. I see no point in throwing stones around at anyone's scheduling. Ultimately, the only meaningful metric is W-L record going forward. Both teams have had successes in playoff and OOC matchups. The issue today is getting more OOC Ws by all PL teams not just Lehigh and Colgate.
    I agree. It is tiresome.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    I agree. It is tiresome.
    What's also tiresome is the league continuing to spin its tires nationally. The best way to change the league's identity is by winning OOC games. You can't have a "state of the league discussion" without talking about OOC performance/scheduling. It's the best way to determine how the league stacks up. It greatly affects recruiting, Top 25 rankings and playoff seeding. So until Colgate, Lehigh and the rest of the gang turn things around it will continue to be a hot button topic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    They carry the torch for the PL if we like it or not. Their ceiling over the last 20 years tends to be league's ceiling. Colgate and Lehigh will once again be the prohibitive favorites. It's very relavent. Equity matters....
    Agree that historically Gate and Lehigh have carried the torch. Not my point . Regardless of how we did in the past, the point is we have to do much better now. No OOC is an array of cupcakes. All of us must improve.

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Agree that historically Gate and Lehigh have carried the torch. Not my point . Regardless of how we did in the past, the point is we have to do much better now. No OOC is an array of cupcakes. All of us must improve.
    Amen. It is time.

I posted the overall OOC records between Colgate and Lehigh this decade and it's not close. Lehigh has been significantly better. Colgate has not had a winning OOC record since 2011. That's not good! I'm not attacking Colgate. I'm simply pointing out they need to step up and win some of these games they schedule. Like or not they and Lehigh still carry the banner for the league nationally. That's why they're performances are under a bigger microscope imo...

found the records since 2010
    Colgate 15-24, last winning OOC record 2011
    Lehigh 23-17, last winning OOC record 2016
    How about a nod to the level of competition for each?! Lehigh has feasted on far too many cupcakes to get those 23 wins. Lest we forget, it wasn't all that long ago when they went 10-1 and were denied a playoff bid - apparently because of the incredibly mediocre level of the OOC teams they beat.

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    How about a nod to the level of competition for each?! Lehigh has feasted on far too many cupcakes to get those 23 wins. Lest we forget, it wasn't all that long ago when they went 10-1 and were denied a playoff bid - apparently because of the incredibly mediocre level of the OOC teams they beat.
    disagree on too many cupcakes, most of the 23 wins came against Ivies, which some confuse as cupcakes because they do not participate in playoffs, 10-1 season had wins against Monmouth, CCSU, Princeton, Liberty and Columbia, not a fearsome fivesome but not all cupcakes either

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by van View Post
    disagree on too many cupcakes, most of the 23 wins came against Ivies, which some confuse as cupcakes because they do not participate in playoffs, 10-1 season had wins against Monmouth, CCSU, Princeton, Liberty and Columbia, not a fearsome fivesome but not all cupcakes either
    Exactly!

I bet Lehigh has the best record against the Ivies since that time.

Exactly!

I bet Lehigh has the best record against the Ivies since that time.
    Not sure that means all that much, as the Ivies have elected to play is far less since scholarships were adopted.

FWIW, Colgate was 11-6 against the Ivies from 2010 - present.

Agree it doesnt mean much but quick scan Lehigh 13-3 from 10-16.